GDT: Devils vs. Senators - 7:00PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Yeah this team deserves the Lemaire (circa Wild) approach of just going AAA.

Of course in-season captain strippings rarely happen. When they do it's an international scandal like when the Flyers stripped Lindros of the C for I think it was Recchi, or Brindy.

the wild went with rotating C month to month during that time

everyone gets to be a captain! :scared:

retire number 1 for the fans!

….such a kind hearted franchise

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Wood has earned top 6 minutes. Zacha hasn't. I would switch them, and maybe switch Zacha and Blender too.

These are the types of things we should be talking about. Which young talented player should play where. Not where to hide Gazdic. Not wondering why DSP is with Hall. Not why Kalinin and JJ are on the third line. We actually have some decently talented players in the organization. Hynes is deliberately choosing to use talentless assclowns. We are offensively challenged when everything is going right. Handicapping us with anchors all over the lineup is just devastating. **** Hynes.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think we're really jumping the gun if we fire Hynes, but the last month+ now has been a nightmare.

At the very least, if this continues, he better not get an extension after this year. He got a 3 year deal (I'm pretty sure) and this contract is up after next year, as of right now.

We have 4 road wins all year. We have only 1 since November. We have 10 ROW. Only Arizona has less and they are tanking. We are two points away from the basement.

What is the possible reason to stick with this coach? This team was in a playoff spot not even a month ago.

Lou has fired coaches for far less.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It is going to be 6 tomorrow at this rate. It could easily be close to 10 by Christmas.

They have like 2 road wins all year. I've seen coaches fired for much much less.

Yes, but this isn't Lou or the complete ****show in Florida where guys have itchy trigger fingers when it comes to coaches. The team overachieved last year and for 15 games this year. Now they've been bad for 15 games. Something tells me that Shero is, rightly or wrongly, going to err towards the 90 some games where Hynes seemed to be doing well over the 15 he hasn't.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yes, but this isn't Lou or the complete ****show in Florida where guys have itchy trigger fingers when it comes to coaches. The team overachieved last year and for 15 games this year. Now they've been bad for 15 games. Something tells me that Shero is, rightly or wrongly, going to err towards the 90 some games where Hynes seemed to be doing well over the 15 he hasn't.

If they were losing all their games like tonight, maybe, but they have been losing games as if they don't know how to play hockey.

That coupled with just the ugly ugly stats, and you have to do something.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Even if he keeps the coach they have to do SOMEthing to tell the fans they aren't going to be content with crashing and burning to a 65-point season. They still have tickets to sell for thirty home games after all. Whether it's a big trade, a mass infusion of youth, whatever...I'd bet money the boos for Hynes start this week though assuming another loss tomorrow.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Even if he keeps the coach they have to do SOMEthing to tell the fans they aren't going to be content with crashing and burning to a 65-point season. They still have tickets to sell for thirty home games after all. Whether it's a big trade, a mass infusion of youth, whatever...I'd bet money the boos for Hynes start this week though assuming another loss tomorrow.

Would be nice if we had beat reporters calling up Shero's office for a response like TG used to bug Lou.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If we get blown out every game moving forward, sure. But we did at least show some positive signs tonight, which is more than could be said about the previous 4 games.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
If they don't show up tomorrow against the Rangers then that to me is the final straw. But then again maybe not getting fired up against your biggest rival is part of this new post-Lou identity that they are going after.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wouldn't be shocked if tomorrow as a must win for Hynes.

He talked a big game during the 3 days off between the Rags and St. Louis game and they haven't shown anything from it.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

That's the point I was trying to make w coaching change being a possible business not hockey decision. I really don't want to go the arena right now. Can you imagine people wanting to go in feb ?

MissMyDevs*

Mar 14, 2016
I wouldn't be shocked if tomorrow as a must win for Hynes.

He talked a big game during the 3 days off between the Rags and St. Louis game and they haven't shown anything from it.

Well to be fair there aren't a lot of teams beating the Rangers this year.

I don't think anyone saw their defense playing this well and nobody thought their transactions would pan out like this either. Must be nice. That's all I'm going to say

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That's fine with me. Cory isn't a number 1 goalie until he starts playing like one it's time to split up the goal tending duties
Meh. What we're seeing right now is a sample size that Kinkaid is greatly benefiting from. He's been the beneficiary of only playing like 7 or 8 games so far? It's like when Hedberg looked better than Marty in 10-11 and 11-12.

Kinkaid has played better in the games he's been in and he's not allowing nearly as many stoppable goals. The eye test is backing up his stats there. I've counted 4 stoppable goals on 22 total allowed, as opposed to 20 stoppable on 64 allowed by Cory. Last year though, Kinkaid allowed 19 stoppable goals on 58 total goals allowed. I think if Kinkaid played twice as many games as this, his numbers wouldn't be as good as they are now. I don't think he's nearly as good as Cory, I think he's just playing better than he is and Cory is playing MUCH worse than what he really is.
We have 4 road wins all year. We have only 1 since November. We have 10 ROW. Only Arizona has less and they are tanking. We are two points away from the basement.

What is the possible reason to stick with this coach? This team was in a playoff spot not even a month ago.

Lou has fired coaches for far less.

I really can't argue against it at all, I just don't wanna have to fire another coach yet. But I'm done defending Hynes and I don't wanna hear any credit to him for getting this team to play better than they are. Maybe last year he definitely deserved credit with the system he played, but no one can convince me that we'd be worse than this with any other NHL caliber head coach, there's no way we'd be.

He hasn't done any kind of defying feat here.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's the point I was trying to make w coaching change being a possible business not hockey decision. I really don't want to go the arena right now. Can you imagine people wanting to go in feb ?

But when the new coach doesn't win either then what? I get the whole change for change's sake if there's some evidence or hope that things could turn around with a new voice but they're lacking in talent to make the kind of run they'd need to make to realistically get back in this thing and they need to clear some of the 'loser element' out of the locker room regardless of a coaching change or not.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well to be fair there aren't a lot of teams beating the Rangers this year.

I don't think anyone saw their defense playing this well and nobody thought their transactions would pan out like this either. Must be nice. That's all I'm going to say

I don't think their defense is really playing well, Lundqvist hasn't even been a whole **** ton better than Schneider this year. Maybe after the last couple games he has.

They've been lucky with an insane amount of pucks going into the net. Who the hell expected a schlep like Michael Grabner to score as many as he has? I don't think their management has.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Sometimes you have to make a change even if it isn't all the coaches fault or is fair. Clearly something is not working.

True, but it's been 15 games where it hasn't worked. It's not like the MacLean era where it was complete **** from day one. If it turns into 25-30 games of bad play then I think you probably have no choice but to make a move. But I don't think we're there quite yet.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we're getting rid of Hynes, I want an experienced head coach coming in.

Maybe a buddy of Pete's, just so he gets the word that Josefson isn't any good and should never play on the 3rd line.:sarcasm:

I really don't wanna replace Hynes with Kowalski or some other version of Hynes.

There aren't any experienced coaches right now though, and Gerard Gallant should not be an option, neither should Bob Newhart.

While I didn't agree with Gallant's firing, I don't think he's a good coach. Bob Newhart isn't either. I could have coached the Avs to the cup in 2001 with Roy, Sakic, Bourque and Blake and that Jack Adams wasn't really an indictment on him a couple years back.

Then again, I would have tried my best at sabotaging the 01 Avs team, since I'm a Devils fan!:laugh:

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Well, at least it wasn't a blowout. I suppose that counts as a victory at this point. Good night, fellow long-suffering Devils fans.

Long-suffering? :laugh:

Tell that to Leafs, Oilers, Jackets, Coyotes, Jets/Thrashers, Islanders, Sabres, and fans of other teams who have had little to NOTHING to cheer about in years/decades.

4 years out of the playoffs is tough but long-suffering? Context folks.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
What kind of message do you send to future coaches if you fire Hynes this fast? I don't do it. It's dumb.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think FOR NOW, we have to stick with Hynes. I'm not exactly pro Hynes right now at all and don't have much of a leg to stand on in regards to arguing against his termination.

But I also worry about what happens if we suck with the new coach? Worst case scenario, Hynes is JAG and the next coach will do the same.

But as far as giving him credit for getting this team overachieve this season, he deserves not a bit of it. He's doing NOTHING to make this team better. He's a wash at best this year. You can't argue that he's getting this team to play any better than their potential, if even as much as their potential. And when you bench all those goals so we can play career 4th liners with no ceiling in their place, you're not using your best lineup at giving the team a chance to score some goals.

Of course, if I see the same lines and lineup intact for tomorrow night, I might be starting a petition of my own to get him banished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad