GDT: Devils vs. Predators - 7:00PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Weren't Zacha and Johansson on for that marathon shift where we couldn't get it out of our end and we took the penalty that tied the game? Or was that right before that? I know they were on for one shift that looked like it was about to be another marathon shift right after they tied the game.

I thought Zacha was exceptionally poor, outside of no points.

Reactions: liquid1988

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No they killed his stupid penalty early in the period. It was Invisimarcus's stupid penalty they couldn't kill later on.
So I was remembering right?

I think this shift was Zacha and Johansson getting Seth Helgesoned in the D-zone.

They had another shift after the game tying goal where they were trapped in, but not for nearly as long.

They were BRUTAL tonight, not getting on the score sheet aside.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
I just saw KK's first goal against, oh man it really was that bad - BUT how was there no offsides on the play? It looked like Fiala was in the zone a step ahead of Weber after dropping the puck back to him. Did we even challenge it?

Coaches looked at it and decided not to challenge. MSG of course never showed any relevant replays.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Kovy must be kicking himself for being stuck in LA. It's almost like he stopped watching the NHL after he left.

Just looked at the standings - had no idea the Kings were off to that bad of a start at 2-6-1. They're also already up against the cap with only Nate Thompson's $1.65M cap hit coming off the books after this season, Doughty's cap hit increasing by $4M next year and several RFA's to resign.

Quick with a 4.55 GAA and .845 Save % through 4 games still has 5 more seasons at $5.8M.

Hope they keep losing and Kovy is miserable there.

From when he signed:

"The most important thing -- when I met with Luc [Robitaille] and Rob [Blake] and we had a great talk -- is that the team is really good with a great core of guys who have already won. They know how to win and that is my goal, to win the Cup. I want to help the team be better and try to accomplish that goal," said Kovalchuk as to why he decided to join the Kings.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I do not agree with this assessment in the slightest. Maybe Nash should have scored a goal in the 1st, yes. He should have stopped the really weak goal and perhaps allowed a goal on the double-deflection before that. And the game winner was another pretty poor goal.

yeah i agree with the first part. he let in a stinker, but he saved a goal and otherwise had a really good first. the game winner looked like it went off greene, but i haven’t seen a replay

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We can debate on Kinkaid's game, but we can all agree on these points:
- No secondary scoring (again and again).
- PP2 is a terrible mess, game after game.
- MoJo-Zacha duo is not working.
- JSD should not be on the 2nd line.

But hey, Damon Severson is playing some good hockey early on!
Cheers to all of this!

I think JSD was that treatment for his hot 3 game goal streak. That's clearly behind us now, so it's time to go back to the 4th line with him.

I'd put Zacha with Wood, they were good together last year. Zacha is beyond ineffective otherwise.

Now I don't think he's Jacob Josefson bad, not even close, but he's played about 7 games worth of 15-16 Jacob Josefson hockey. Where Josefson got all that ice time and scored like a 4th liner and like an AHL 4th liner at even strength.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Coaches looked at it and decided not to challenge. MSG of course never showed any relevant replays.

It takes some serious mental gymnastics to imagine this goal NOT offside unless the puck being on the line and Fiala's back skate on the line is acceptable :P

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
seniority, hockey politics, faith in the captain by the coach.....

hes a lot better than most people think. but how he played that shot was just horrible..... he had two guys ready to close it down if he just takes a knee and takes away the shot. it was a 1v3 with two 'defenders' behind him......
I think we shouldn't have him on the ice in OT (unless a penalty kill) because we need to score to win the game and he isn't gonna help us score a whole lot in OT.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I think this shift was Zacha and Johansson getting Seth Helgesoned in the D-zone.

They had another shift after the game tying goal where they were trapped in, but not for nearly as long.

The #'s really don't bear this out. they were meh, to slightly below meh.

Frustrating though, no doubt on that.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Just looked at the standings - had no idea the Kings were off to that bad of a start at 2-6-1. They're also already up against the cap with only Nate Thompson's $1.65M cap hit coming off the books after this season, Doughty's cap hit increasing by $4M next year and several RFA's to resign.

Quick with a 4.55 GAA and .845 Save % through 4 games still has 5 more seasons at $5.8M.

Hope they keep losing and Kovy is miserable there.

From when he signed:

"The most important thing -- when I met with Luc [Robitaille] and Rob [Blake] and we had a great talk -- is that the team is really good with a great core of guys who have already won. They know how to win and that is my goal, to win the Cup. I want to help the team be better and try to accomplish that goal," said Kovalchuk as to why he decided to join the Kings.

Carter would be someone who could help us, granted he has some term left.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Did Gryba do enough to get scratched for Yakovlev next game?

He spent a lot of time in his office tonight.... The D-zone.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I think you are underestimating it tbh

especially if we get Bratt from the first half last year, which i don't see why we wouldn't

It's actually if we get Bratt from the first 17% of last year. If you look at his game log, his first 12 or 13 games were way better than his last 60'ish.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The lack of creativity in OT was annoying. Seems like their only play is a stretch pass into an odd man rush and Nash wasn't biting.

No real o zone plays and too much trying to stick handle through guys

Samuel Desbiens

Dec 5, 2017
Quebec City, Quebec
Cheers to all of this!

I think JSD was that treatment for his hot 3 game goal streak. That's clearly behind us now, so it's time to go back to the 4th line with him.

I'd put Zacha with Wood, they were good together last year. Zacha is beyond ineffective otherwise.

Now I don't think he's Jacob Josefson bad, not even close, but he's played about 7 games worth of 15-16 Jacob Josefson hockey. Where Josefson got all that ice time and scored like a 4th liner and like an AHL 4th liner at even strength.

I do think Pavel Zacha has some offensive abilities and I do think he could be a good 2C for this team. But he will need someone who can shoot the puck, and he has to shoot more, too.

I remember his awesome preseason a year ago, playing with Taylor Hall and Kyle Palmieri. He's good defensively and he's anticiping the plays in the offensive zone, he just need to find a chemistry with a goal scorer.

I would like to see John Hynes put Taylor Hall - Pavel Zacha and Kyle Palmieri to start the next game. I know, it's not a sexy idea and I know the first line was great early on, but we can reunite Hall-Nico-Palm during the game if it's a mess.

And Johansson-Nico-Wood could be a good 2nd line too...

Camille the Eel

We took three needless penalties in the 3d period actually and, yeah, the tying power play was on Johansson I think. But Palmieri took a bad one too in the offensive end.

Debriefing the game, careless penalties are costing us game in, game out. No way you want to give another club three power plays in the 3d while trying to defend a 1 goal lead.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Oh look, another pointless game from Kovalchuk. And they're 2-7-1.

The Great-Selfish-One is now pacing for 16 goals and 41 points with a -41 rating at a $6.25M cap hit!

It's not Kovalchuk's fault why they're losing though. Lombardi let their core get old in a young man's league.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
It Sucks because one “softie” definitely ties the game. Goalies have off nights and Kinkaid still made some great saves. It might of benefited him to get beat clean. The perception of goals where the puck hits a part of the goalie and still goes in will most always be considered a “soft” goal.

On a positive side the Devils have a nack of being in games, even in the two earlier losses. 13 is quitely doing well..(I remember the Philly brodcast saying that Patrick has more upside and will end up the better player after his goal. Ahahaha they got jokes)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The overpassing pissed me off more tonight . well that and mojos dumb late penalty. Can't be doing that
The first Zacha break out pass to a not ready Mojo was one thing, the 2nd Zacha break out pass to a not even close to ready Boyle, while on the PK, with plenty of room to skate got me pretty peeved.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Oh look, another pointless game from Kovalchuk. And they're 2-7-1.

The Great-Selfish-One is now pacing for 16 goals and 41 points with a -41 rating at a $6.25M cap hit!
I so want to see a -41. That would be perfect.

When do we play them in NJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad