Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm really hoping those comments by Trotz are just statements to be nice, because if ends up bringing all of these guys back its not going to be better than what we saw last season and guys that need a chance to move up don't have the room too.

You had career years from Forsberg and Nyquist, ROR was way better than most of us thought he would be, and you had almost no serious injuries that kept guys out long term. The odds of all of that happening again are slim to none.

Also Brunette and Trotz don't have much choice on Tomasino, either they play him or trade him, he's not getting through waivers.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Same reaction I had to the Kings' presser yesterday with Robitallie feeling they were that close (despite getting eliminated in just 5 this year). I don't really understand the thought process here. Yeah, maybe a Zucker because our scoring depth is weak, but...we can't go much further with this roster than what we did. Why run it back? Cut the dead wood that doesn't work and start trying to plug in/add upgrades.

Dude's gone. Prospect for prospect trade in off-season or packaged for something else. Then we'll all ketch about every point he scores (cause even with his warts he seems a pretty good bet for 35-40 for a full season).
Unless someone really wants him theyll wait for the waiver wire. Brunette just broadcast he doesnt intend to use him

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
What a joke! I am pissed!

It’s the same stupid garbage that Poile did for years. :banghead:

Tweak the roster for the coach instead of the coach tweaking to fit the roster. Bring back a bunch tweener plugs so we can watch us suck again! Do we have anyone who can score!?

WTF!

Some of our picks have to pan out at some point right? Is Trotz even watching what Vancouver and to some extent Dallas has done with their young guys!? I am glad I only have one full season left on my plan. This franchise is the definition of mediocre.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Unless someone really wants him theyll wait for the waiver wire. Brunette just broadcast he doesnt intend to use him
I doubt it was much of a secret around the league. I don't think he had/has a ton of value but other GMs might see it as less of an issue for their roster/system or may have a similar type of situation they'd be interested in swapping (e.g. a Kaliyev).

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
What a joke! I am pissed!

It’s the same stupid garbage that Poile did for years. :banghead:

Tweak the roster for the coach instead of the coach tweaking to fit the roster. Bring back a bunch tweener plugs so we can watch us suck again! Do we have anyone who can score!?

WTF!

Some of our picks have to pan out at some point right? Is Trotz even watching what Vancouver and to some extent Dallas has done with their young guys!? I am glad I only have one full season left on my plan. This franchise is the definition of mediocre.
Sadly, the only thing really separating us from an Arizona or Columbus, and being worse than mediocre, is one playoff run, one President's Trophy, and a history of tending to make the playoffs (though as one and dones).

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I doubt it was much of a secret around the league. I don't think he had/has a ton of value but other GMs might see it as less of an issue for their roster/system or may have a similar type of situation they'd be interested in swapping (e.g. a Kaliyev).
If we manage to swap him, hopefully it is for a rhd. Brunette and Trotz didnt crap all over Fabbro but theyve made it pretty clear during the season where he sits. Trotz mentioned trying to resign carrier... so thatll plop ol' Fabbro right back into pressboxtown. Seriously, i have no effing clue what kind of roster building we are trying to do here.

Reactions: hockey diva

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If we manage to swap him, hopefully it is for a rhd. Brunette and Trotz didnt crap all over Fabbro but theyve made it pretty clear during the season where he sits. Trotz mentioned trying to resign carrier... so thatll plop ol' Fabbro right back into pressboxtown. Seriously, i have no effing clue what kind of roster building we are trying to do here.
Maybe Barron from Montreal?

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Trotz has made the comment “I don’t want to just sign good players, I want to sign the right players”. Finding players that not only have the work effort and attitude but have the ability to play Brunette’s system effectively. That’s his job, Find the right player for his coach. If he just throws together a roster all willy nilly based off box score stats and expects any coach to be able to figure out what to do with it, then he would be a terrible GM.

Reactions: Softball99

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-media-max-width="560"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here&#39;s Andrew Brunette and Barry Trotz on Philip Tomasino.<br><br>I&#39;m guessing he might not be in Nashville next season! <a href="https://t.co/wm39v379Ly">pic.twitter.com/wm39v379Ly</a></p>&mdash; Alex Daugherty (@AlexDaugherty1) <a href="">May 8, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: bdub24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Trotz has made the comment “I don’t want to just sign good players, I want to sign the right players”. Finding players that not only have the work effort and attitude but have the ability to play Brunette’s system effectively. That’s his job, Find the right player for his coach. If he just throws together a roster all willy nilly based off box score stats and expects any coach to be able to figure out what to do with it, then he would be a terrible GM.
Yeah well those right players also need to be good otherwise all that effort and attitude means jack squat. I mean building a team with a good attitude and effort isn't that hard, building with that and is good is the hard part.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Yeah well those right players also need to be good otherwise all that effort and attitude means jack squat. I mean building a team with a good attitude and effort isn't that hard, building with that and is good is the hard part.
You just chose to use a word salad to express exactly what he said. :dunno:

• Haha
Reactions: beardawg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Trotz's wet dream would probably be to keep the "kids" in the AHL until they retire. Make sure they're nice and ripe. But damn waiver rules!

Seriously, it's insane how from top to bottom this franchise willingly settles for mediocrity.

Can't wait to see who we draft with the 16th pick in 2025!

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

What. The. f***.

So much for getting out of the mushy middle and taking a step back to take a step forward.

Gonna be very pissed and depressed if we just resign everybody and run it again

Brunette burning down all the young players and trying to torch any remaining bridge available. He has no patience for development.
I said Burnette was an idiot back when they cancelled the Vegas trip and then the team went on that damn run... but idiots always show themselves out, and Bruno is no exception.

I'm gonna have to just not follow hockey for a while. I just get too pissed too easily

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
What. The. f***.

So much for getting out of the mushy middle and taking a step back to take a step forward.

Gonna be very pissed and depressed if we just resign everybody and run it again

I said Burnette was an idiot back when they cancelled the Vegas trip and then the team went on that damn run... but idiots always show themselves out, and Bruno is no exception.

I'm gonna have to just not follow hockey for a while. I just get too pissed too easily
Yep we are screwed. In 5 years we will be in the exact same spot cause he will be convinced we are knocking on the door.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Personally think the reactions are logical based on the orginal sell from trotz and trotz saying he would love to have every one of the ufas back....

That essentially stops any youth movement, keeps fabbro in the pressbox or trades him off, keeps glass in the pressbox or trades him off, and needlessly exposes players like Parssinen/Tomasino/Afanaseyev/del gaizo to waivers or trades them off all in the persuit of a round 1 exit so this team can chase a repeat of career years that are unlikely to be repeated.

Edit: hopefully trotz has some crafty trades up his sleeves. If we go into next season with the team we essentially ended the season with ill be less than enthused.

Last edited:

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Personally think the reactions are logical based on the orginal sell from trotz and trotz saying he would love to have every one of the ufas back....

That essentially stops any youth movement, keeps fabbro in the pressbox or trades him off, keeps glass in the pressbox or trades him off, and needlessly exposes players like Parssinen/Tomasino/Afanaseyev/del gaizo to waivers or trades them off all in the persuit of a round 1 exit so this team can chase a repeat of career years that are unlikely to be repeated.

Edit: hopefully trotz has some crafty trades up his sleeves. If we go into next season with the team we essentially ended the season with ill be less than enthused.

I guess I'm just not sure what people want to see then. I see it as one of Sherwood/Zucker/Beauvillier returns, Carrier walks, and Tomasino is out the door. Parssinen, Kemell, ZLH, Stastney and MDG will get their looks. Those are pretty minor tweaks.

If you blow the team up and commit to a rebuild, you need to trade Saros, Josi, and Forsberg for max return right now. That's not going to happen. If you trade only Saros and commit to even more youth movement, you're still "mushy middle" with a roster that has FF and 59. The only way not to be "mushy middle" is to add players that are good right now, wait for our best prospects (Wood, Kemell, Molendyk) to show they can compete at a very high level, or blow it up and sit at the bottom of the standings for over a decade. I think I'd rather field a competitive roster, ease the young guys in as they're ready, and get into the playoffs while finishing between 10 and 16 overall, rather than experience whatever is happening in Detroit or Buffalo. This team as constructed has shown they can play at a league best level for almost half a season.

The name of the game is to win the Stanley Cup, and we don't have good enough young talent to commit to a full blow up. That's just ridiculous to think about. It's silly to sit here and be mad about next season before any moves are even made, regardless of what he said. Poile said many times he'd never trade Shea Weber and yet it still happened.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I dunno...I wouldn't read too much into those quotes. At that moment, of course he's going to talk about how proud he is of the team and say "he wants them back". First off, let's not forget how much a success this season was. We all had the Preds missing the playoffs. Second, he's not going to say, "we plan on mass changes". All this presser was, was Trotzy saying he's proud of the team.

FA is months away and the team has like 9 or 10 picks (6 in the first 3 rounds) in the draft. I saw that the team is expected to have almost $20 mil in cap space. Lots of capital to play with.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hm, I'm not so sure I see that much of a problem with the quotes on Tomasino? They praised his approach and his play in Milwaukee. They couched the criticisms in conditionals. It seems like a reasonable way to remind the player that he's going to have to step up his work ethic next season, while still appreciating the skill he has and his attitude.

The proof will still be in the pudding... re-signing him to a 1-way deal, not trading him, etc. Some of those things may reflect more negatively on their true feelings about him than I think those quotes necessarily did.
:dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't see any point in bringing back Sherwood or Carrier, though. They are ok NHL players, but if we're going to get better we need to improve on some of those positions in the lineup. We have the Cap space to pursue those improvements. But we also need the roster spots open to slide the better players into, so letting some incumbents walk is a necessary part of the equation.

Keeping mediocre players when you don't need to is just continuing down a path to maintaining overall mediocrity. If you have the opportunity to improve, but choose not to take it... :dunno:

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Personally, I want to see Kemmel up here next season. He is a goal scorer something we lack. Put him on a 3rd line with a passer and the pp. Depth scoring right there.

Reactions: PredsV82

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad