GDT: Devils vs. Lightning - Halloween Edition 7:00PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I keep hearing the praises of Auvitu and I'm not sure I'm seeing it. At this point he looks like a glorified Matt Taormina to me. I understand that it's early and he still needs to adjust to North America. But he's already cost us the game against Chicago and his defensive game is regularly an adventure. I know, I know....those possession numbers....sure, right.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I keep hearing the praises of Auvitu and I'm not sure I'm seeing it. At this point he looks like a glorified Matt Taormina to me. I understand that it's early and he still needs to adjust to North America. But he's already cost us the game against Chicago and his defensive game is regularly an adventure. I know, I know....those possession numbers....sure, right.

Yeah, I know, Shero signed him so he can't be that good, but he is 2nd on the team in shots and constantly creates stuff going forward through the neutral zone. The idea that he 'cost us the game against Chicago' is hyperbole, but why stop there.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

If you're hanging that ending with Chicago on him I'm not sure we saw the same game. He was the 3rd mistake in that goal not to mention the penalty that tied the game up. I put the 2 mistakes before him more at fault. He took away the pass against the 2 on 1 down low - his primary job, but flubbed the coverage after the shot - that's pretty tough criticism imo.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Well he didn't get wrecked behind the net in embarrassing fashion yet, at least. I mean, if we're going to go around playing the blame game for every loss and ignore everything else a player has done well.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If you're hanging that ending with Chicago on him I'm not sure we saw the same game. He was the 3rd mistake in that goal not to mention the penalty that tied the game up. I put the 2 mistakes before him more at fault. He took away the pass against the 2 on 1 down low - his primary job, but flubbed the coverage after the shot - that's pretty tough criticism imo.
No it was his giveaway in his own zone that directly led to the game winner.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Actually Ethan brings up a great point, Auvitu's possession numbers! WOWZA! Granted, 60% Ozone% ain't great, but he's packing some serious Corsi

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean Auvitu might crap out in ten-fifteen games, god knows I thought the hype on him was over the top when we signed him but right now he brings elements nobody else on the defense has. Unless his D is just so bad you can't live with it then he's gotta play and I don't see a trainwreck on D - yet. If anything his puck skills kind of ensure he's not on D a lot cause it seems like they're always in the other team's zone because of his puckwork.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Actually Ethan brings up a great point, Auvitu's possession numbers! WOWZA! Granted, 60% Ozone% ain't great, but he's packing some serious Corsi

Not surprising though, he is very good at getting the puck, making smart passes, and contributing to scoring chances.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Every single game Zacha makes at least a few crazy passes tape to tape in the middle of the ice while eventually clearing our zone. It amazes me and scares the crap out of me at the same time.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Take a moment to imagine if Merrill willy-nilly softly threw the puck up the boards in his own zone to no one but an opposition player, trapping Hall preventing him from a change, who had already been out for a minute, that led to an OT goal.

This entire board would be suggesting a trade for Pulkkinem until next Thursday's game.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Lmao, in his "little" ice time the Frenchman is only behind Hall in total shots.

Yeah he blows :laugh:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I mean Auvitu might crap out in ten-fifteen games, god knows I thought the hype on him was over the top when we signed him but right now he brings elements nobody else on the defense has. Unless his D is just so bad you can't live with it then he's gotta play and I don't see a trainwreck on D - yet. If anything his puck skills kind of ensure he's not on D a lot cause it seems like they're always in the other team's zone because of his puckwork.

Auvitu isn't going to crap out. I'm willing him into our next Rafalski. :D

He'll actually start scoring soon too. THEN everyone will truely see his value.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
No it was his giveaway in his own zone that directly led to the game winner.

It happens. Just like when Severson blew a game by getting his ass blasted like a **** in OT.

Auvitu is clearly our best puck moving defenseman. He is dramatically exceeding all expectations and you still find a way to complain. He's exactly what we need him to be right now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Auvitu isn't going to crap out. I'm willing him into our next Rafalski. :D

He'll actually start scoring soon too. THEN everyone will truely see his value.

I think a defenseman's value is defense, then offense not the other way around.

A poor defender has an uphill battle making up for it with points. Very few have been able to do it.

In all honesty I'd much rather see is defensive game tighten up than points. I just can't stand a player that on any given shift you might see a nice offensive play or horrific defense that puts pressure on the rest of team. That's not what I ever want to see from any defender and given a choice, I'd rather have a reliable zero offense defender than a pot-luck defender (sometimes good, sometimes bad)

All that said. It's early. He is still learning NHL ice, game speed, time and space...I understand that and I am not making any definitive judgement on Auvitu's play....

but to date he just hasn't been that good and that's what I'm saying.

And during his 22 games Warsofsky led our team in Corsi(CF%) and shots per 60 too, Gragnani was 2nd over his 4 games...so let's not get carried away with that

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

A poor defender has an uphill battle making up for it with points. Very few have been able to do it.

In all honesty I'd much rather see is defensive game tighten up than points. I just can't stand a player that on any given shift you might see a nice offensive play or horrific defense that puts pressure on the rest of team. That's not what I ever want to see from any defender and given a choice, I'd rather have a reliable zero offense defender than a pot-luck defender (sometimes good, sometimes bad)

All that said. It's early. He is still learning NHL ice, game speed, time and space...I understand that and I am not making any definitive judgement on Auvitu's play....

And during his 22 games Warsofsky led our team in Corsi(CF%) and shots per 60 too, Gragnani was 2nd over his 4 games...so let's not get carried away with that

If you can't tell the difference between Auvitu and guys like Warsofsky I don't know what to tell you...

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I'm not sure I agree about the defensive zone play.

I will admit he does make a lot of risky plays in the defensive zone, but he's been pretty successful. The only major screw-up I've seen (did not see the OT gaffe) was the Stamkos goal in the first Lightning game where he was a split second late in getting to tie up Stamkos' stick. As I said though, he read the play very well just wasn't quick enough against an elite scorer in the league who positioned his stick so Auvitu wouldn't reach.

The one thing he does do is he tries to anticipate the play in the defensive zone with the intent to move the puck up the ice quickly. He has been pretty successful thus far in doing that, so I'm not going to complain about that.

However, he does need to start generating tangible offense soon or he won't have an excuse for the inevitable gaffes from playing a risky game. I think that will come though.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I wonder if he can play Right Wing?

You can't have a team full of Lovejoys and Quinceys anymore. You need a couple guys that can drive offense from the backend. Other guys we've tried I would have agreed with you about: Warsofsky, Murphy, MAG, but Auvitu is actually a decent player. Not perfect, but for the role he needs to play on this team he fits fine. He's not costing the team any more than any other player.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Objectively 100% false. No debate, you're wrong.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You can't have a team full of Lovejoys and Quinceys anymore. You need a couple guys that can drive offense from the backend. Other guys we've tried I would have agreed with you about: Warsofsky, Murphy, MAG, but Auvitu is actually a decent player. Not perfect, but for the role he needs to play on this team he fits fine. He's not costing the team any more than any other player.

I'd take a team full of Lovejoy's in a nanosecond over 4 Lovejoy"s and 2 others that you have hide when the game is on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad