GDT: Devils vs. Lightning - Halloween Edition 7:00PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Yep, what this team really needs is more grenade handling defensemen. We can't afford to have a talented offensive dman on our bottom pairing even though we were ranked 30th in offense last year. Solid logic.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This discussion reminds me an awful lot of how the discussion began last season with Moore when so many were singing his praises in the early part of the season completely ignoring the obvious because of a couple nice plays and displays of speed.

Moore's defensive game looks like Scott Stevens compared to Auvitu.

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
This discussion reminds me an awful lot of how the discussion began last season with Moore when so many were singing his praises in the early part of the season completely ignoring the obvious because of a couple nice plays and displays of speed.

Moore's defensive game looks like Scott Stevens compared to Auvitu.

I've seen nothing that shows me Auvitu has been a liability defensively. He's got a quick stick.. and makes nice little plays to get out of trouble. You can tell he's a smart player. Knows his limitations and abilities.... also quick enough to join the rush and get back into position without putting us in danger. I doubt he'll ever be anything amazing in the NHL, but he's what we desperately needed from SOMEONE on our back end.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm not sure I agree about the defensive zone play.

I will admit he does make a lot of risky plays in the defensive zone, but he's been pretty successful. The only major screw-up I've seen (did not see the OT gaffe) was the Stamkos goal in the first Lightning game where he was a split second late in getting to tie up Stamkos' stick. As I said though, he read the play very well just wasn't quick enough against an elite scorer in the league who positioned his stick so Auvitu wouldn't reach.

The one thing he does do is he tries to anticipate the play in the defensive zone with the intent to move the puck up the ice quickly. He has been pretty successful thus far in doing that, so I'm not going to complain about that.

However, he does need to start generating tangible offense soon or he won't have an excuse for the inevitable gaffes from playing a risky game. I think that will come though.

I mean, he has 2 assists, is 2nd on the team in shots, and is a +3 (tied for best on the team) all while not playing all that much. I'm not sure how much more you can expect from a guy playing his first few games in the NHL

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Everyone played well. It was a good team game.

The only thing I'm wary of is the number of shots Cory is facing. He can't carry us on his back defensively forever. But, it's early. And elite goaltenders make up for the early-season jitters like he's doing.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I mean, he has 2 assists, is 2nd on the team in shots, and is a +3 (tied for best on the team) all while not playing all that much. I'm not sure how much more you can expect from a guy playing his first few games in the NHL

My point was just the defensive gaffes are bound to come with the way he plays. How many times have we seen guys like Burns/Karlsson dangled around like AHL players since they are so aggressive.

For players like Auvitu, the offense needs to far outweigh the negatives defensively or they're not going to make it at the NHL level. There seems to be so many smaller, offensively skilled defenders that pop up in the NHL after dominating other leagues and cannot produce. Gragnani, T.J Brennan, Taormina, Warsofsky, the list goes on.

I'm hopeful for Auvitu though because he's shown me far more than those four guys listed, but there isn't much margin for error for guys like him.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The only thing I'm wary of is the number of shots Cory is facing. He can't carry us on his back defensively forever. But, it's early. And elite goaltenders make up for the early-season jitters like he's doing.

There was very few high quality scoring chances last night.

I'm far more worried about defensive structure and giving up quality shots than marginal shots that just pad Schneider's stats.

We saw how dominating possession under DeBoer went when we were giving up high quality chances on the little shots the other team had.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

It didn't bother me to much in this game since we were winning for a large portion of it.

Tampa was going to push all game as a result. The chances for the most part felt low percentage, and Cory took care of any major gaffes.

We are spending to much time in the box though, and that hurts the shot game.

We need to cut down on penalties. 3-4 opportunities a night for the other team is way to much.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Lovejoy makes good plays, then makes bad ones. He's generally a net positive, and would be a nice 4/5 D man on a decent team. I really don't hate him, but I don't think he's much more valuable to this team than Auvitu. Honestly, both are replaceable, but both are respectable players. Both of those types of players are needed on a team. The problem is, to be a good team, you need better versions of both of those types of players.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Lovejoys been fine. The whole defense has been fine as well as the goaltending. It's the forwards and their lack of consistent goal scoring. We could be 6-1-1 if it wasn't for the Boston and Chicago games you're gonna blow third period leads quite often if your incapable of getting that 3rd goal in a game:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Lovejoy makes good plays, then makes bad ones. He's generally a net positive, and would be a nice 4/5 D man on a decent team. I really don't hate him, but I don't think he's much more valuable to this team than Auvitu. Honestly, both are replaceable, but both are respectable players. Both of those types of players are needed on a team. The problem is, to be a good team, you need better versions of both of those types of players.

Once we get some depth, Lovejoy will be a very nice 3RD.

Severson - Santini - Lovejoy down the right side in the future looks very solid.

Also, looking at that, Auvitu has a nice opportunity to lock down a LD spot alongside Santini/Lovejoy given how well their games compliment each other.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Lovejoy suffers from the same thing many of the maligned defensemen we've had in recent years suffered from...too much ice time. Through 8 games he's averaging 20:51 per game, second to only Greene at 21:00 per game. Last year Lovejoy was under 19 minutes per game, and even less in the playoffs.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I maintain that these guys (Lovejoy and Quincey) are a necessary evil.

Put Helgeson and Warsofsky in their places, we'd be hurting.

Cory's GAA would have been higher, because we'd be allowing more shots too.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Lovejoy suffers from the same thing many of the maligned defensemen we've had in recent years suffered from...too much ice time. Through 8 games he's averaging 20:51 per game, second to only Greene at 21:00 per game. Last year Lovejoy was under 19 minutes per game, and even less in the playoffs.

Exactly.

Eventually, Severson will take over some of his role and Santini as well. Lovejoy is the least of our concerns right now.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

Auvitu and Severson are going to slowly take some of the ice time from him. Greene should and does see the most.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

We spend a lot of time on the PK, and he plays a lot of PK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad