GDT: Devils vs. Lightning - Halloween Edition 7:00PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I really want Zacha to pot one Thursday.

Kid is doing almost everything right. He deserves a reward to keep his confidence up.

Camm looked much better. If he is awake and starts scoring, I like our chances to go on a little run soon.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Still I don't see a ton of high quality scoring chances against.

It hasn't been too bad, outside of the Boston game and maybe the first game of the season against the Panthers.

I thought the Boston game was easily the worst. I also found it hard to believe that we had 29 shots that night. I have heard that their shot counter does over count though....

We probably gave up quite a few in the first Tampa game, but it's not even like we were even really outplayed that night. It was about even, unlike against the Panthers and Bruins, which I felt were easily the worst two games of the season.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
You're dead wrong on Cory being a stud.

Jake Allen and Dubnyk are better, as is Pekka Rinne still!

But seriously though, I hope Cory makes Dinotorts and Deano and the dumbo's at USA hockey look stupid for planting him on ass in his suit and dress slacks upstairs for most of that tournament.

Uh... last time you bumped heads with someone on this narrative, Rinne finished second in the Vezina, Dubnyk won the Masterson and finished 3rd in the Vezina and Hart... and I believe Holtby was part of your list of crap goalies worse than Cory until he won the Vezina soo. maybe we should back off of it a bit until Cory wins the Vezina this year?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Uh... last time you bumped heads with someone on this narrative, Rinne finished second in the Vezina, Dubnyk won the Masterson and finished 3rd in the Vezina and Hart... and I believe Holtby was part of your list of crap goalies worse than Cory until he won the Vezina soo. maybe we should back off of it a bit until Cory wins the Vezina this year?

LOL Rinne has been terrible for 3 of the past 4 years now. That 2nd place Vezina nomination is his only good season since the most recent lockout. There's 3 NHL starters worse than him since then. Ward, Lehtonen and maybe Smith. One of the other guys worse than him was waived a few weeks back and now on the AHL.

But maybe all you see are his wins, which have mostly come in spite of him. And he sucked against the Sharks last night too. He also was one of their most worthless players in the Sharks series last year. He was so amazing in that win in game 6, when he tripped over the invisible banana peel.

Holtby is the only one I take back. He's improved a lot since I crapped on him and has had two great seasons in a row.

Dubnyk is okay, just not as good as Cory. To claim he is (or Rinne in 2016) is asinine.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Quincey played 14:19 with 1:16 of PK
Auvitu played 15:40 with 1:08 of PP

These are crazy low minutes and it forced Greene to play 24 minutes and both Severson and Lovejoy over 22 minutes. Lovejoy was just shy of 23 minutes tonight.

This is not good.

15 minutes a game, and 14 minutes of 5x5 out of 50 is not 'crazy low' for a third defensive pairing. You don't have three pairings that play twenty minutes a night, especially at home and especially with several days off before the next game.

If anything the Devils' average TOI for defense overall has been abnormally balanced this year:

Greene 21:59
Lovejoy 20:50
Severson 19:40
Moore 18:45
Auvitu 16:56
Quincey 16:51

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...ilter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=timeOnIcePerGame

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Solid win Devils.

Great to see Rico finally play the type of hockey we know he could and should deliver.

Also to see Sevs get on the score sheet.

Cory made more dandy saves that he makes look routine.

Now lets finally win some games in the State of Florida.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Kalinin-Fiddler-Lappin is the Isles-like 4th line I've been wanting for years. Watching Lappin in Albany you noticed he always gets pucks to the net and you saw that on DSP's goal.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Very solid win, and I thought we played excellent for most of both games this weekend. If you had said we would go into back to back games against Chicago and Tampa Bay and gotten 3 of 4 points, I would have been skeptical.

I love our current 4th line. It's been a few years since we've had a 4th line that has 3 legitimate NHL players on it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Lappin not getting enough love in this thread.

Lappin had an awesome game. He should replace Parenteau on the depth chart soon.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Zacha = Zharkov 3.0

Third in the Renamed Atlantic division is better then i thought we would be at this point in time.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Lappin not getting enough love in this thread.

Lappin had an awesome game. He should replace Parenteau on the depth chart soon.

You can have 2 good players. You don't just have to get rid of one. But yeah, Lappin is making that 4th line go, and it's about time that the Devils had a halfway decent 4th line.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You can have 2 good players. You don't just have to get rid of one. But yeah, Lappin is making that 4th line go, and it's about time that the Devils had a halfway decent 4th line.

I said "Depth chart" to indicate nobody is "getting rid" of anyone.
Depth chart was ment to indicate one should play higher than the other.

But on that topic. Parenteau hasn't look at at all good to me. There is no doubt he helps a weak right side but that isn't really saying much.

Parenteau, Quincey, Bennett, Fiddler are stop gaps in my view. Personally I think they are all very weak and we have better baking in the oven.

Hopefully we see people like Lappin, Quenneville/Wood, Santini , Pietila (et al) take over their roles some time later this year.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I said "Depth chart" to indicate nobody is "getting rid" of anyone.
Depth chart was ment to indicate one should play higher than the other.

But on that topic. Parenteau hasn't look at at all good to me. There is no doubt he helps a weak right side but that isn't really saying much.

Parenteau, Quincey, Bennett, Fiddler are stop gaps in my view. Personally I think they are all very weak and we have better baking in the oven.

Hopefully we see people like Lappin, Quenneville/Wood, Santini , Pietila (et al) take over their roles some time later this year.

Parenteau looks perfectly fine. Yeah, he can get caught flat-footed and look bad in the neutral zone, but he's a fine player. I'm skeptical Lappin should play higher because Lappin is making the 4th line go and Parenteau helps make other lines go.

Obviously people like Quincey and Parenteau are stop-gaps, but you need those every year - your system is very unlikely to spit out 23 NHLers just for you every season, plus injuries will happen. The key is finding the right ones and it's something that Shero has been pretty good at so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad