GDT: Devils vs Leafs - The Grinch! 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Shero got canned for holding onto Disco Dan too long...wonder if we’ll see something similar.

I’m sure he has reassurance from the ownership group though.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Look at what Hitchcock has done in Edmonton. Yes they have McDavid but their roster isnt the best and he has them playing much bettee hockey. You can argue a team like chicago has managed to play the same under a new coach but the point is we need to see if this team is really this bad or if its the coaching staff. Does Shero really want to waste this season and not truly evaluate where the real problems in the roster are or what ?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Keith had enough? Who cares? You don't make choices based on whether or not a player has "had enough".

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This team really is a joke. And Shero seriously is a fool for sticking with this staff this long.
Shero deserves to be shredded more around these parts.

He's managed to dodge a lot of bullets here.

He's let this mess fester. He's the one that keeps this coaching staff that we all bitch about intact.

At least acknowledge that Kowalsky was a BAD Hynes mistake and and can him.

Camille the Eel

Miserable game by Keith. Everyone else too, but just saying Kinkaid was awful. Even their first goal. No you don’t expect a goalie to stop a 3 on 1. But you do expect him to read the play enough to at least know where the puck is when the shot finally comes.

Then how many goals go over his shoulder from 25 feet out? Hard shots but a guy shouldn’t get beat from there.

Then also that one with the puck off the cross bar behind him and he just gives up because he thinks it’s in.

Rebound galore.

The team sucked from the getgo but Keith was leading the lemmings over the cliff.

Reactions: Bleedred

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah, no use in making a miracle run to the 9th position in the conference. That said, if we are in the running for the 1st OA this season, I think that spells the end of Hall as a Devil. I actually won't be that broken up about that, either.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If the Leafs don't score 7 goals tonight....
Oh, wow!

I got another prediction correct in 2018. That might be the third thing I've correctly guessed this year!

I shouldn't even feel smart about this, as 5 goals against is a safe bet 80% of the time we play Winnipeg, Washington, Toronto and Tampa this year.

Reactions: JK3

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Yeah, no use in making a miracle run to the 9th position in the conference. That said, if we are in the running for the 1st OA this season, I think that spells the end of Hall as a Devil. I actually won't be that broken up about that, either.

I don’t think I’ll be. I like him and I was hoping the team could build around him. Now, if the Devils can deal him to fill defensive holes I’d be fine with it.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Bankers only give a shit about $. If the arena, the main reason they bought the team, is doing well, they won't give a shit until they've squeezed every dollar out of it. Then they might give a shit about the team.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Miserable game by Keith. Everyone else too, but just saying Kinkaid was awful. Even their first goal. No you don’t expect a goalie to stop a 3 on 1. But you do expect him to read the play enough to at least know where the puck is when the shot finally comes.

Then how many goals go over his shoulder from 25 feet out? Hard shots but a guy shouldn’t get beat from there.

Then also that one with the puck off the cross bar behind him and he just gives up because he thinks it’s in.

Rebound galore.

The team sucked from the getgo but Keith was leading the lemmings over the cliff.
I don't think he cost us the game or anything, but I do think at least goals 2 and 4 were stoppable. And maybe goal 5 also.

Goal 5 was borderline. I probably wouldn't nail him on that one because it's a one timer. Goal 4 was not.

Goal 2 was a weak goal. It squirted through him before he was ran into. I'm not even sure if the coaching staff realizes this yet (I wonder how much they actually do realize?) or at least they sure didn't when they initiated that challenge. Only the overhead view shows it, but this puck squeaked through him before he was run over. That's a BAD goal. It's a bad goal on Cory, it's a bad goal on Martin Jones, it's a bad goal on Frederik Andersen and it's a bad goal on Keith Kinkaid.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Rebound galore.

Uh. I didn't see that he was awful. I saw really really really awful defense in front of him. Not taking away passes, falling into him, screening him. Terrible effort by the D. I don't think any goaltender would have done better -

The only thing I'll fault him for is that his frustration is showing, but I think its hard not to, if you are a competitor and watching this garbage unfold in front of you.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
And again, how do you expect a goalie to stop NHL shooters if the defense doesn't help him?

Marty wouldn't do well in front of this group. In fact, I think Marty would have told Nas to f*** off. Marty would be coaching the D.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I don't think he cost us the game or anything, but I do think at least goals 2 and 4 were stoppable. And maybe goal 5 also.

Goal 5 was borderline. I probably wouldn't nail him on that one because it's a one timer. Goal 4 was not.

Goal 2 was a weak goal. It squirted through him before he was ran into. I'm not even sure if the coaching staff realizes this yet (I wonder how much they actually do realize?) or at least they sure didn't when they initiated that challenge. Only the overhead view shows it, but this puck squeaked through him before he was run over. That's a BAD goal. It's a bad goal on Cory, it's a bad goal on Martin Jones, it's a bad goal on Frederik Andersen and it's a bad goal on Keith Kinkaid.

Naw. Goal 2 Hyman actually deflected it off the ice up under his arm from like a foot out, and then Severson fell into him. Not a *great* goal, but really at that point you had Greene being useless, Wood not picking up Kapanan and Severson being a throw rug. It was effectively 0-on-3 as absolutely no one did their job.

Goal 4? Well. Tavares with a free shot between the circles? I'm not going to kill him on that. Yeah, if it is a one-goal game you'd hope his compete level would pull out a game changing save, but hey, at 4-1, and then what's more, it's not like anyone helped him out with the loose change there, after it goes off the post.

I find it tough to fault him for anything tonight. He wasn't good. But he wasn't bad. With our terrible defense, that spells loss.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
This is the sort of season that really should get the entire coaching staff fired along with the GMs. Regressing is one thing, sucking this badly is another.

Camille the Eel

Also it’s extraordinary how unphysical our team is. Typically, playing a fast and creative team like Toronto, you want to slow them down by putting a body on them. All that traffic in front of Keith, you also want to clear some of it out.

Instead we are not only physically soft but we back in defending the rush instead of standing up.

Now I agree the D is bad. But you still want the goalie to read plays; stop shots he has a clear view of; not allow easy rebounds. Kinkaid was awful tonight by all those standards. I thought every single goal was stoppable. Some more then others but none were really just plays where he had no chance. Take the Marleau score. He’s right there. Or even the Severson play was a rebound he could have held initially.

I heartily agree though that this was a team loss, including the coaching staff. Nobody can say we are a well coached team this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad