GDT: Devils vs Leafs - The Grinch! 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I expect a system that doesn't have a weak defensive strategy that makes the defenseman back up instead of challenging fowards. And one that doesn't have the ****ing Dman chase puck carriers all the way up to the blue line, or one that has us break down as easily as we do.
So much this. This drives me absolutely crazy. Looks like they play man on man defense

Reactions: liquid1988

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Before we brought in grabner last season.we looked like arguably the fastest team in the league (forward wise). How the hell did we from what it looks like "slow down" in that department ?

Reactions: The 29th Pick

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Before we brought in grabner last season.we looked like arguably the fastest team in the league (forward wise). How the hell did we from what it looks like "slow down" in that department ?

We caught teams off guard last year, almost every team we played would say how they didn’t expect us to skate like that. This year they know what’s coming and we can’t adjust to it at all.

Also they probably just watch whatever Tampa does to us and try to copy it. That playoff series exposed us big time.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The whole team just seems flat this year. Last year they played with a chip on their shoulder after the embarrassing end to 2016-17, everybody bought in, and they got better goaltending (remember Cory won 17 games before he fell apart, and Kinkaid caught fire down the stretch). That attitude just isn't there this year. It looks more like the 2016-17 Devils.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
We caught teams off guard last year, almost every team we played would say how they didn’t expect us to skate like that. This year they know what’s coming and we can’t adjust to it at all.

Also they probably just watch whatever Tampa does to us and try to copy it. That playoff series exposed us big time.
Team's arent dumb. They watch a ton of film and learn to prepare for their upcoming opponent. Last year things clicked more and we got better goaltending. Its not like our fast players suddenly slowed down in one offseason.

member 300185

Please don't embarrass yourselves and me in the process. Watching the game with a Leafs fan tonight and I hope I don't murder him 5 minutes in, if the Devils are down 3-0 by then. The chirps coming from his mouth will be unbearable.
Good call.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Naw. Goal 2 Hyman actually deflected it off the ice up under his arm from like a foot out, and then Severson fell into him. Not a *great* goal, but really at that point you had Greene being useless, Wood not picking up Kapanan and Severson being a throw rug. It was effectively 0-on-3 as absolutely no one did their job.

Goal 4? Well. Tavares with a free shot between the circles? I'm not going to kill him on that. Yeah, if it is a one-goal game you'd hope his compete level would pull out a game changing save, but hey, at 4-1, and then what's more, it's not like anyone helped him out with the loose change there, after it goes off the post.

I find it tough to fault him for anything tonight. He wasn't good. But he wasn't bad. With our terrible defense, that spells loss.
I mean, they ain't gonna make softy of the night or anything, but I think what we're seeing right now is what happens when a backup has to become your de facto starter because your other goalie is the worst in the league and completely unplayable anymore. It makes the one serviceable goalie you have left (who probably shouldn't be playing more than 30 games most years) start to lack in efficiency.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
f***in HELL NO to AV, guy is f***in Hynes with hair and a tan.

After seeing the Patrick Roy talk in here, he, Hynes and AV are all very similar coaches.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
While Im indifferent towards him, AV has actual success minus a cup
Because Lundqvist and Luongo played for him. The best goalies of that generation.

You know what he's gonna get to work with here? Backup playing de facto starter Keith Kinkaid and Cory Schneider's last few ounces of what's left of his cremated remains.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Sorry folks, this loss and many others in the past and in the future is on the owners. Their investment was the arena and financial it is killing it. The Devils, yeah well .......want to buy?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
A lot of our plays are kept to the perimeter. I watch Hall and all I notice is him being forced to go around their D and behind the net. Teams just cut our passing lanes and ensure that we don't set up at the point so easily. And when we're caught out with the D that overpinch, it leads to huge counters

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Sorry folks, this loss and many others in the past and in the future is on the owners. Their investment was the arena and financial it is killing it. The Devils, yeah well .......want to buy?
There is no proof of that. Philly is proof they spend when needed. Just because Ray didn't overpay for players ( was in on maroon offered 3x what St Louis did, likely got outbid for JVR but that's a good thing ) doesn't mean he can't

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014

I genuinely don’t think the owners care, but not in a bad way. They have plenty of money, Hugh and Ray just run the show and make all the hockey ops decisions. I mean Harris is hammered every single time he makes an appearance here, guy just cares if the Arena makes money.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I genuinely don’t think the owners care, but not in a bad way. They have plenty of money, Hugh and Ray just run the show and make all the hockey ops decisions. I mean Harris is hammered every single time he makes an appearance here, guy just cares if the Arena makes money.

Hugh and Ray make all the hockey ops decisions except when it comes to big money for players, like Hall not Bratt and coaches. Devils team player's payroll is cheap not costly at all. Devils coaching staff payroll isn't costly at all. Major long term financial decisions they are involved with. Want to buy the Devils without the arena, I am sure they would sell. What we see and hear from the owners are words we want to hear and they want us to hear.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
There is no proof of that. Philly is proof they spend when needed. Just because Ray didn't overpay for players ( was in on maroon offered 3x what St Louis did, likely got outbid for JVR but that's a good thing ) doesn't mean he can't

Shero is fool for not trying to get a defenseman like de Haan, who would easily be the best defenseman on the left side right now. But that wouldnt matter given how f***ing clueless the staff is in their player usage. They have a love affair with unskilled over the hill veteran players.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Shero is fool for not trying to get a defenseman like de Haan, who would easily be the best defenseman on the left side right now. But that wouldnt matter given how ****ing clueless the staff is in their player usage. They have a love affair with unskilled over the hill veteran players.
Even though Ray denies it I'm pretty sure he was close to coming here. There were reports around 4-5pm UFA day ( i remember the time because I checked my phone upon the completion of the NASCAR Race at chicagoland speedway I was at ) that he had signed....then a few hours of nothing then tweets saying it didn't happen. Something happened there where either Ray or DeHann must of changed demands/money last second.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Hugh and Ray make all the hockey ops decisions except when it comes to big money for players, like Hall not Bratt and coaches. Devils team player's payroll is cheap not costly at all. Devils coaching staff payroll isn't costly at all. Major long term financial decisions they are involved with. Want to buy the Devils without the arena, I am sure they would sell. What we see and hear from the owners are words we want to hear and they want us to hear.

Hugh has no say in hockey ops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad