GDT: Devils vs Leafs - The Grinch! 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Just watched last night's highlights. God this team is terrible. The nonexistent structure & defensive coverage is astonishing.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
This is what I'm seeing in these "highlights" more then system issues.

Maybe the D-men are jumping into the play too much? Mueller on Nico's non shot? Sev's on the Hall giveaway and subsequent odd man rush. Do we not want that? Is that not what teams around the league are doing? And even in these cases I'd say it was poor execution/decision making by Nico and then Hall that was at fault.

Other then that I'm seeing Sev's get bull dozed, or a one timer from the top of the circle. Not "system" issues.
You know what helps players make better decisions? Structure. A clear and simple strategy. Being on the same page as your teammates.

Who controls all that?

Reactions: NJDevs26

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The forwards are not the biggest issue but the lack of quality on the backend and in net is killing the team. Is there any team above us in the standings with a worse set of 6 defenseman and a worst tandem in net? We are where we should be in the standings and we are at a disadvantage in those two crucial areas every single game compared to our opponent.
Our forwards are a problem because they aren't pulling their weight defensively. I would say our defense was worse last year than this year, but they had a lot more overlapping support last season. Our forwards fly the zone way too early which forces stretch passes at our blue line, this causes turnovers. Our defensemen are expected to pinch aggressively, but the back pressure from the forwards to cover for that is inadequate. Our zone entries have been horrendous, and since our defensemen are expected to join the rush, they often get caught too high up the ice when we cough the puck up at the offensive blueline.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
The roster is better than the on ice performance

a league MVP, a #1 overall draft pick and a RW who is 5th highest goal scroing RW in the league. I also see Bratt, Zajac and Coleman....you shouldn't be in the basement of the East with that. It just shouldn't be happening.
notice you didn't say anything about a defender or a goalie.. therein lies the problem we are very very very weak in goal and the backend.. its that simple..

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I’m getting tired of being told the same thing incessantly.

What “foundation” is being built with countless blow-out, no-show embarrassment losses? What kind of “blueprint” is that?

Agreed, I mean the season has been lost already for some time but these embarrassing blowouts have really piled up this season. The look like a total joke out there.

Though there's no other coach to step up and improve the situation this year, why are we the only team that's really going to stand pat with our coach(es) with this kind of record?

Hynes is supposed to be a development coach, but what development is there to be had with a team entrenched in a losing mindset. Yes the goaltending is awful, yes some teams have lots more talent...but has our defense shown any sustained progress under Nas these past years? The power play took a big step back since Kowalsky came up. That compulsory back pass needs to die a horrible death. It almost looks like they execute it poorly as a mockery of whatever they were told to do, with hopes that screwing it up will force a change to a different approach.

Hynes hired these guys, so at minimum I think the team could use some new direction or a new voice. The way they play looks like they are so over whatever our coaches are preaching. It's one thing to lose to a team when you at least compete, but they're getting downright abused in the majority of games.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I’m totally numb to the losing now because the season has been in the shitter for almost two months already. I’m sure a lot of you feel that way too. It’s going to be a long year and there’s no help on the way so it is what it is, unfortunately. I could just really do without the blowout losses though. Never mind winning games, they can barely stay competitive from game to game. It’s pretty f***ing lousy and has really killed any enthusiasm for the team.

Reactions: Bleedred and mtnet

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
That article is crap. They act like every time Lou fired a coach, it was a panic move while Shero is somehow super patient because he hasn't fired Hynes yet. Lou gave Maclean almost 30 games which was about 25 too many.

And Shero's patience got him fired in Pittsburgh.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
The roster is better than the on ice performance

a league MVP, a #1 overall draft pick and a RW who is 5th highest goal scroing RW in the league. I also see Bratt, Zajac and Coleman....you shouldn't be in the basement of the East with that. It just shouldn't be happening.

Everything you stated is all good... but out of the names you listed, there's not one dman or goaltender and that's where the heart of the problem lies with our team.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
LOL that 7th goal....you can't do that **** as an nhl defenseman, what in the world????
This reminds me of the MacLean season. Vatanen is a good NHL dman, he shouldn’t look this way. The forwards have talent and shouldn’t be making braindead decisions like we have seen and shouldn’t look so lost on the PP. This is a coaching issue.

Reactions: Dialamo

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Our forwards are a problem because they aren't pulling their weight defensively. I would say our defense was worse last year than this year, but they had a lot more overlapping support last season. Our forwards fly the zone way too early which forces stretch passes at our blue line, this causes turnovers. Our defensemen are expected to pinch aggressively, but the back pressure from the forwards to cover for that is inadequate. Our zone entries have been horrendous, and since our defensemen are expected to join the rush, they often get caught too high up the ice when we cough the puck up at the offensive blueline.
This is especially evident on the powerplay. If we win the faceoff in their zone, we look good and tend to get some decent looks. But once they get the first clear we just can't establish and set up in their zone again.

It really bugs me when Steve says "good pressure here" when we're just digging along the wall. Just being in the zone isn't pressure, who cares if you have the puck physically in their zone. You need to move it around and generate chances.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
No def not, just an example that Lou wasn't impulsive like the article claims.

The expectations were much higher back then too. The playoffs were expected and missing them was looked at as a complete failure. Those expectations aren't as high now, which is probably why Hynes will get a longer leash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad