GDT: Devils vs Islanders - Preseason - 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
No, but it doesn't automatically mean anything in regards to his passing skill. Just happens that people scored off his passes. It means nothing without context. You cling to that stat like it actually has merit.
So the 19 goals is a fluke.

The primary assists have no merit.

Age should be disregarded.

How about the fact that he led the team in 5v5 shots per 60 last year?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think this is all fair criticism. I like Wood and he's had great moments, but he needs to clean up these types of warts. It's also not that he's without value, but he might become expendable sooner than most. And if we can use some of his value in a package to address a position of need, then so be it.

This idea they are just going to cut him is silly talk. That isn’t happening.

But we shouldn’t pretend he is playing well this preseason. Especially compared to other guys and he could end up sitting as a result.

Plain and simple he has to play better. Other vets are bringing their games despite the games not counting. He doesn’t have an excuse.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Clearly I don't think he is as good a passer as Nico, so I don't claim it to be a linear relationship, but I think the stats do dispel some of the Wood criticisms.
How? How does it dispel anything without context? How do we know it was a sustainable number? For all we know, it was as flukey as his 19 goal season.

He's 24 years old, overpaid, has no discernible hockey skill and some of us act like he's someone we absolutely cannot trade because he's supposedly gritty and tough when he's really just big, fast and soft.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I mean, he's done the equivalent statistically, sure. And yeah, he's still JAG, same as Wood.

Connor Brown has a 20 goal season to his credit. Richard Panik once scored 22. Ryan Hartman had a 19 goal season. Benoit Pouliot. Casey Cizikas scored 20 last year.
Just posted this above, but how many JAG players lead their teams in 5v5 shots per 60?

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI

And he shot 6.3%. Again, you cling to these small sample size numbers like they mean anything. They have no merit outside of context. How sustainable is that number? How about his hockey skill? His hockey IQ. What does he do well that you can without a doubt say is a legitimate NHL hockey skill?

Are you related to Miles or something?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Last year doesn’t matter a whole lot (especially when it was a wash of a season).

It’s a new year. Competition for spots is way up on this team and Wood has not cut the mustard so far.

Reactions: Patrik26

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
How? How does it dispel anything without context? How do we know it was a sustainable number? For all we know, it was as flukey as his 19 goal season.

He's 24 years old, overpaid, has no discernible hockey skill and some of us act like he's someone we absolutely cannot trade because he's supposedly gritty and tough when he's really just big, fast and soft.
That's not the argument I am making, so......

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And he shot 6.3%. Again, you cling to these small sample size numbers like they mean anything. They have no merit outside of context. How sustainable is that number? How about his hockey skill? His hockey IQ. What does he do well that you can without a doubt say is a legitimate NHL hockey skill?

Are you related to Miles or something?
He's the team leader in that stat over the last 2 seasons. I'd say it's pretty sustainable.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Last year doesn’t matter a whole lot (especially when it was a wash of a season).

It’s a new year. Competition for spots is way up on this team and Wood has not cut the mustard so far.
These preseason games matter more then the last 2 seasons?

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
He's the team leader in that stat over the last 2 seasons. I'd say it's pretty sustainable.
Sorry, meant the primary assist thing you continue to bring up. How sustainable is that number? Do we have a shot % by the guys he passed to? That's why I asked how sustainable it was in that prior post.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

We've drafted and acquired so much new talent into this organization, guys who were here before, especially in the bottom six, need to show they still deserve the ice time and trust they had before. You see Coleman giving it his all in the preseason here and looking like he hasn't missed a beat, while Wood hasn't been good enough. Whether he learns this lesson or not, the staff aren't going to put up with his play when other guys are performing.

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
Just posted this above, but how many JAG players lead their teams in 5v5 shots per 60?

Wood puts the puck on net every time he get it because he isn’t smart enough to do anything else.

He isn’t a good passer and lack hockey smarts so his only plan is to throw the puck at the net. I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be to anyone who plays on a line with him.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We've drafted and acquired so much new talent into this organization, guys who were here before, especially in the bottom six, need to show they still deserve the ice time and trust they had before. You see Coleman giving it his all in the preseason here and looking like he hasn't missed a beat, while Wood hasn't been good enough. Whether he learns this lesson or not, the staff aren't going to put up with his play when other guys are performing.

They scratched him once before on opening night. I don’t think they are hesitant to do it again if he doesn’t shape up during these final two games.

Especially if Hynes is falling in love with Hayden.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

Doesn’t that in part explain the primary assists?

Also no one i saw argues about age his age is fine and power forwards take longer to develop. You can argue he is still developing.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm still in awe over the goal Gusev scored.

Normally, the pass by Nico would be considered so elite it would steal the show, except the touch Gusev had on the puck was so incredible you realized it was "special" talent.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sorry, meant the primary assist thing you continue to bring up. How sustainable is that number? Do we have a shot % by the guys he passed to? That's why I asked how sustainable it was in that prior post.
Do I think he will continue to have more primary assists then Nico? No.

But a better 5v5 primary assists per 60 then Blake Coleman over the last 2 years. Better assists per 60. Better goals per 60.

Better then Zajac in each of those categories as well.

Better then Zacha in goals and assists per 60(though a tick below in primaries).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Doesn’t that in part explain the primary assists?

Also no one i saw argues about age his age is fine and power forwards take longer to develop. You can argue he is still developing.
How many of those assists are rebounds, I legit don't know.

And I've long argued that Wood has more upside then guys his age because his hockey back ground was relatively limited compared to most players.

Now in that sense I'm a little disappointed he hasn't come into this season showing more development, but it's been a few games.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

At least one if Wood has done it. You can keep bringing up these isolated, pared down efficiency stats with qualifiers, which tell a part of a story, but never the whole thing, and you cling to them as though they are gospel. Yes, he also led nico in 5x5 primary assists. I get it. Didn't Mirco lead the team and was like 9th in the league or something in ca/60? His High Danger chances against were also among the better defensemen, I believe. Yet he has certainly not proven to be anything more than a dude.

But figures like that also call into context that 19 goal season. He's a volume shooter and that's what he does. Doesn't mean that he takes good shots, or skilled shots. His 19 goal season saw him double his shooting percentage from the rest of his career norms (slightly hyperbolic - his career norms outside of that is about 7%, he was a little over 11% the 19 goal season, so he didn't double it, but did have a significant jump), and that's unlikely to happen again as a volume shooter. I'm not saying that he doesn't have positive attributes, I'm saying that he has positive and negative ones and in the end, that evens out and makes him roughly just a guy.

LIS, you want to be a fan of him, that's great. I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: MilwaukeeDevil

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Do I think he will continue to have more primary assists then Nico? No.

But a better 5v5 primary assists per 60 then Blake Coleman over the last 2 years. Better assists per 60. Better goals per 60.

Better then Zajac in each of those categories as well.

Better then Zacha in goals and assists per 60(though a tick below in primaries).
I don't care bout per 60 lol. That's like using PER in the NBA for a guy that plays 15 minutes a night as a reason why he's better than someone that plays 30+ minutes a night. It doesn't mean anything other than it's a small sample size that's extrapolated. Extrapolation is the dumbest thing in sports and provides no context whatsoever

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Well...I guess it's that time.
1jreqo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad