GDT: Devils vs Islanders - Preseason - 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
At least one if Wood has done it. You can keep bringing up these isolated, pared down efficiency stats with qualifiers, which tell a part of a story, but never the whole thing, and you cling to them as though they are gospel. Yes, he also led nico in 5x5 primary assists. I get it. Didn't Mirco lead the team and was like 9th in the league or something in ca/60? His High Danger chances against were also among the better defensemen, I believe. Yet he has certainly not proven to be anything more than a dude.

But figures like that also call into context that 19 goal season. He's a volume shooter and that's what he does. Doesn't mean that he takes good shots, or skilled shots. His 19 goal season saw him double his shooting percentage from the rest of his career norms, and that's unlikely to happen again as a volume shooter. I'm not saying that he doesn't have positive attributes, I'm saying that he has positive and negative ones and in the end, that evens out and makes him roughly just a guy.

LIS, you want to be a fan of him, that's great. I'd love for him to prove me wrong.
I'm posting stats to counter the criticisms, I'm not calling them gospel. Just presenting my argument.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't care bout per 60 lol. That's like using PER in the NBA for a guy that plays 15 minutes a night as a reason why he's better than someone that plays 30+ minutes a night. It doesn't mean anything other than it's a small sample size that's extrapolated. Extrapolation is the dumbest thing in sports and provides no context whatsoever
But these preseason games are important? Heck yeah.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
I'm on the "Miles Wood is not a useless pylon" side of the playground argument. However I wish he'd figure out his game and excel in it because he has been incredibly frustrating this past year + preseason. More 20 goal Wood, less everything that came after it.

Reactions: njd118

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't care bout per 60 lol. That's like using PER in the NBA for a guy that plays 15 minutes a night as a reason why he's better than someone that plays 30+ minutes a night. It doesn't mean anything other than it's a small sample size that's extrapolated. Extrapolation is the dumbest thing in sports and provides no context whatsoever
This is utter nonsense and completely invalidates what you’re trying to say. He’s literally a 4th liner and produces quite well given his lack of ice time. What context do you need? It’s just the rate that he produces when he’s on the ice. He’s a fine 4th liner, isn’t overpaid and we aren’t in a cap pinch now. This is a ridiculous discussion given all of the amazing things happening with this team.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Nico is going to have a monster year. He looks great. Bratt as well to be honest.
If Nico's improvement in the faceoff circle is for real, that could seal his spot on the first pp unit, which, with this talent, should lead to a big jump.

Bratt might get squeezed from that first unit.

Reactions: My3Sons

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
History has a way of repeating itself. I wish I could find the .gif of this.

Wood.PNG

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If Nico's improvement in the faceoff circle is for real, that could seal his spot on the first pp unit, which, with this talent, should lead to a big jump.

Bratt might get squeezed from that first unit.

The second unit is going to be real strong too though. The only thing stopping them from scoring will be the first unit scoring too quickly.

What a problem to have.

Reactions: Patrik26

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm still in awe over the goal Gusev scored.

Normally, the pass by Nico would be considered so elite it would steal the show, except the touch Gusev had on the puck was so incredible you realized it was "special" talent.
We've seen handsy goals by both Hughes and Gusev this preseason that hint that these guys will be better goal scorers then expected this year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The second unit is going to be real strong too though. The only thing stopping them from scoring will be the first unit scoring too quickly.

What a problem to have.
That opening faceoff in the offensive zone is a major advantage for the first unit. The 2nd unit will get less time in less advantageous situations(though they will likely face the 2nd unit PK).

So while I think we will have a pretty stacked 2nd unit, they likely won't get near the production.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Both their shots are better then some advertised.
Maybe not pure velocity, but I think both guys have great releases, and will be super accurate.

Also the back hands? Gusev tonight obviously, but I think Hughes's back hand is one of his finer attributes.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Rooney/Hayden will probably make the team because they aren’t waiver exempt. However, my guess is if a lineup spot opens up McLeod will get the call up and jump over them.

No use waiving them and risking organizational depth over being the 13/14 forward. Delay the waiver decision until you have to make it.
Well, I figure we probably won’t carry 14 forwards. Probably only 13 and 8 defensemen.

But then again, with the way Smith has looked, maybe that is one less spot used on a defenseman.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well, I figure we probably won’t carry 14 forwards. Probably only 13 and 8 defensemen.

But then again, with the way Smith has looked, maybe that is one less spot used on a defenseman.
I'm still looking to keep Smith. He's better then he has shown. I think we know this. And unless we think Jacobs or White are legit options, I think the depth Smith brings is important to have.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm still looking to keep Smith. He's better then he has shown. I think we know this. And unless we think Jacobs or White are legit options, I think the depth Smith brings is important to have.
Well Smith is better than those guys, but those guys won’t be on the team anyway, until injuries happen.

And we’ll already be having at least one NHL caliber defenseman sitting upstairs anyway(probably Mueller), even if Smith doesn’t make it.

But I’m not completely against Smith making the team either. We could give him the 9 game look before sending him back to juniors.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well Smith is better than those guys, but those guys won’t be on the team anyway, until injuries happen.

And we’ll already be having at least one NHL caliber defenseman sitting upstairs anyway(probably Mueller), even if Smith doesn’t make it.

But I’m not completely against Smith making the team either. We could give him the 9 game look before sending him back to juniors.
Well the possibility of injuries are why you would want the depth.

Mueller is a guy that I have been disappointed with this preseason, but only because he appears to be the same guy we have seen for 2 years. Very frustrating. Subban should get in his ear a bit, give him some confidence to just skate the puck with conviction.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Also I think given time Smith will eventually settle down and earn more ice time. Even if it takes more then the 9 game window.

I don’t think there is anything for him to learn in juniors.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well the possibility of injuries are why you would want the depth.

Mueller is a guy that I have been disappointed with this preseason, but only because he appears to be the same guy we have seen for 2 years. Very frustrating. Subban should get in his ear a bit, give him some confidence to just skate the puck with conviction.

Carrick is easily outplaying Mueller

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Screw the 9 game look. Keep Smith for as long as you want and send him back to juniors if he falters or there is eventually no room for him in the line-up.

Burning a year of his ELC is not really an issue. He would be an RFA with no arbitration rights and heck, his cap hit will likely go down on his second contract given no potential for bonuses.

The only time I'd be scared about burning a year without getting NHL production out of it is if it were a player of Hughes caliber. Someone who has a pretty good chance to explode onto the scene and demand a significant raise on his second contract. Ty Smith is good but he's not going to be someone we are going to have to sign for 7x7 at age 22. And in that scenario, you're clearly not going to send the player back anyways. People overrate the slide rule big time IMO.

Here, you either keep Smith in the NHL and he proves his worth so you can't send him down regardless. Or he struggles in the NHL and you want to send him down.. whether you burn a year of ELC is irrelevant as he's not suddenly going to dominate the NHL next year.

Evaluate whether he has more to gain from the NHL or Juniors on a rolling basis. Send him down if it ever becomes Juniors > NHL. Don't worry about burning a year.

The bigger issue with getting NHL time is starting the waiver clock at 11 games in a la Matteau. If Smith hits 11 NHL games, his 3 year waiver exemption starts immediately and doesn't stop if he's sent to Juniors or even the AHL next year. I don't think this is an issue either as I expect him to be an NHL player within 3 years.. but THIS is the bigger issue than burning a year at 9 games.

Reactions: BomaLightDevils

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Boqvist earned a spot tonight IMO.

There are no CBA ramifications for Boqvist. His first year of his ELC will be used up regardless and he will also accrue a year of his waiver exemption regardless of where he plays (any professional league, including Europe).

Same thing with Smith. You keep him until you think he would be better off in Europe. That could be 1 game, 40 games or 82 games. At least for him, there's really nothing else to worry about so it's a pure hockey decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad