GDT: Devils vs Islanders - Preseason - 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I think the difference between Wood and McLeod so far this preseason is McLeod had a puck come right to him while the goalie was in the corner, and he lost control of a puck which then slid under the goalie.

This is so wrong, McLeod has been way more physical and assertive this camp. He is caring the puck into the zone, making the right passes and playing with speed. While Wood might be faster, he cant keep the puck on his stick to save his live or he goes 100 mph into the boards to get the puck and the other teams player spins and keeps the puck. Ive seen McLeod make a ton of hockey plays that I dont see Wood coming close to.

I like Miles Wood, I think he can be a good player some day, the problem with Miles Wood is when he is not going through his 3 or 4 week run of being amazing he is nearly USELESS! He doesnt play on the PK and as a net front on the PP he isnt great a digging picks out of the corners, no to mention he might be the worst passer on the team next to Mueller. If they feel a guys like Rooney Hayden or someone else is more valuable because of their abilities on the PK or PP then Im guessing at first Wood sits. He will still play plenty this season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I still think they might limit Hughes. Just to keep him fresh. But given he makes it look so easy, maybe they won't need to.
Oh for sure, game management is going to be involved. Depending on the score the lines will be impacted, how many special teams we have in a game, how fresh young guys are, etc. are all going to have an impact on how the lines are run.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Dude has 200 career games and 37 goals. Safe to say the 19 goal season was the flash in the pan season and the 9 goal average between the other 2 seasons is who Wood really is.

He's JAG.

I know, I know. BUT HE'S ONLY 24
So his age should not be factored in? Like when he scored 8 goals as a 21 year old rookie? Or are such details unimportant?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Fun Fact: Van Halen was the best 80's band

They were fantastic. Album sales comparisons aside, I preferred the DLR version of the band. Only saw them live on the first Van Hagar tour though. I would put U2 along side them as well as the Police and my personal choice would probably be Talking Heads. For many the first choice would probably be Journey although they were not my cup of tea. My youngest loves listening to Hot for Teacher and Panama.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I like Miles Wood, I think he can be a good player some day, the problem with Miles Wood is when he is not going through his 3 or 4 week run of being amazing he is nearly USELESS! He doesnt play on the PK and as a net front on the PP he isnt great a digging picks out of the corners, no to mention he might be the worst passer on the team next to Mueller. If they feel a guys like Rooney Hayden or someone else is more valuable because of their abilities on the PK or PP then Im guessing at first Wood sits. He will still play plenty this season.
I've said this one before as well, but more 5v5 primary assists then Nico last year.

He also played a significant amount of time on the Zajac line, our defensive line, last year, and played very well in that role.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

big-bird-sesame-street-one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other.gif

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I've said this one before as well, but more 5v5 primary assists then Nico last year.

He also played a significant amount of time on the Zajac line, our defensive line, last year, and played very well in that role.

Im sure Im splitting hairs here but Id like to see those passes were they legit good passes or of his shots that someone else put in or passes where he give it up to someone and they skated in a made a shot. But regardless i didnt know this but i still dont think he is very good in this area. I think that more of a fluke then his 19 goal season honestly.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Oh for sure, game management is going to be involved. Depending on the score the lines will be impacted, how many special teams we have in a game, how fresh young guys are, etc. are all going to have an impact on how the lines are run.
They will also likely try to keep Hall fresh this season. Not only because of the knee, but just so he has some jump left if we make the playoffs.

Zajacs an older guy too, so maybe they look to limit him a bit.

While the 4th line looks to be a very talented 4th line.

I do think you are right they roll the lines pretty evenly, but it will be interesting to see what they do.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Im sure Im splitting hairs here but Id like to see those passes were they legit good passes or of his shots that someone else put in or passes where he give it up to someone and they skated in a made a shot. But regardless i didnt know this but i still dont think he is very good in this area. I think that more of a fluke then his 19 goal season honestly.

He is running plays offsides. He is skating alone into the boards and turning pucks over instead of getting them deep. Passes into knees. No defensive play what so ever. He can’t PK. He isn’t playing on this PP that is for sure.

He isn’t playing with grit or sandpaper.

We know he has tools, but if he isn’t using them, what good is he?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Clearly I don't think he is as good a passer as Nico, so I don't claim it to be a linear relationship, but I think the stats do dispel some of the Wood criticisms.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
He is running plays offsides. He is skating alone into the boards and turning pucks over instead of getting them deep. Passes into knees. No defensive play what so ever. He can’t PK. He isn’t playing on this PP that is for sure.

For that 1 play (maybe) a game when he dazzles everyone with his speed and gets a "b-way" (am i doing that right Jack Hughes? I know he reads this forum haha) and then doesnt score but it was exciting! Its also those alley-oop passes when he is on the ice... because what if....

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008

I think this is all fair criticism. I like Wood and he's had great moments, but he needs to clean up these types of warts. It's also not that he's without value, but he might become expendable sooner than most. And if we can use some of his value in a package to address a position of need, then so be it.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I dunno, has Goodwin ever scored 19 goals in a season?

I mean, he's done the equivalent statistically, sure. And yeah, he's still JAG, same as Wood.

Connor Brown has a 20 goal season to his credit. Richard Panik once scored 22. Ryan Hartman had a 19 goal season. Benoit Pouliot. Casey Cizikas scored 20 last year. Etc etc.

You can be a fan of Wood, that's great. There's nothing I have seen that shows me he's really anything more than I think he is, which is largely replaceable and likely at a cheaper cost. If he proves me wrong, I'm not so stubborn as to be unwilling to admit I was wrong. He hasn't done that yet. He'll have his chances.

Reactions: MilwaukeeDevil

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
For that 1 play (maybe) a game when he dazzles everyone with his speed and gets a "b-way" (am i doing that right Jack Hughes? I know he reads this forum haha) and then doesnt score but it was exciting! Its also those alley-oop passes when he is on the ice... because what if....

Teams are wise to it now and they know he isn’t smart enough to slow down or deke them out.

They just need to stay deep and if he is onside pressure him just inside the blueline where he runs out of room as he is an awful east/west player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia