GDT: Devils vs. Ducks - Home Opener! 7:00PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
People complaining about Hall "forcing" or turning the puck over simply don't understand how dynamic players work. You have to take risks and a lot of the time they pay off because of the skill but sometimes they don't. PK Subban is one my favorite examples to use with this. If you knew anything about Hall in Edmonton, you would know he turned it over a lot simply because he was making things happen. We need that sort of creative/dynamic ability.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Those numbers still look screwy.

I'm even still finding it hard to believe that he was on the ice for 13 5v5 shots in 12 minutes. 13 is nearly 50% of the teams total shots, we only had 28....The team only put up 28 shots and had 7 Powerplays.

I doubt we had many more 13 than 13 ES shots all of last night.

Something aint right there.

If I'm not mistaken corsi counts all kinds of shots (wide, blocked, etc). So it's not just shots on goal.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If I'm not mistaken corsi counts all kinds of shots (wide, blocked, etc). So it's not just shots on goal.

You are correct. Thanks for refreshing my memory. I believe he was on the ice for 13 events. I jumped to conclusions :)

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I'm wondering if people watched the same game as I did last night?

the Devils 3 best players last night were Taylor Hall, Yohann Auvitu, and Cory Schneider. to be honest, that isn't even really debateable to me. and some are questioning the first 2? huh?

Agreed.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
People complaining about Hall "forcing" or turning the puck over simply don't understand how dynamic players work. You have to take risks and a lot of the time they pay off because of the skill but sometimes they don't. PK Subban is one my favorite examples to use with this. If you knew anything about Hall in Edmonton, you would know he turned it over a lot simply because he was making things happen. We need that sort of creative/dynamic ability.

It is hysterical that simply saying Hall had a good game, not a great one because he made some very poor decisions causes this much backlash on this site. Sweet Jesus.

It has nothing to do with creativity. He made stupid decisions. Lane he wanted wasn't there. He paused. Tried to shove it through the defender(s) anyway. Several times. That isn't creativity. That is just making a bad decision. And double-clutching on the shots over and over again was another issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
there were how many minutes of special teams last night? probably like 1/3 the game. That will skew the TOI since guys like Boucher don't play special teams currently while Josefson does.

Yea it was a little of control last night, some calls on both sides were head scratchers and had seen the TOI #s that reflected such.

Just don't think it would hurt to cut down Josefson's PP time at least, think he can be beneficial on the PK, and get some PP time to other guys who have more offensive potential.

Separately it was a nice little surprise to see Fiddler and Kessler go at it :laugh:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Couple thoughts.

1)Great crowd. I know it's the home opener but it was a Tuesday, and it's NJ so I think it need's to be noted. Hope it is a precursor for things to come.

2)Thought Dev's played really well. Had a bunch of flurries around the Ducks net.

3)Zajac actually showing some offensive creativity? Pass to JJ was sweet, then not long after I think I saw a bit of a shoulder shimmy. Was impressed.

4)Frenchy was a great find. But don't like those pp neutral zone drop back passes. I know it is more schematic then his decision, so I say to Hynes "let the dude skate". Granted some of that is Auvitu's read, so they need to find that balance, but in order for the drop backs to work, the threat of him skating the puck in needs to be there. And he can do it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yea it was a little of control last night, some calls on both sides were head scratchers and had seen the TOI #s that reflected such.

Just don't think it would hurt to cut down Josefson's PP time at least, think he can be beneficial on the PK, and get some PP time to other guys who have more offensive potential.

Separately it was a nice little surprise to see Fiddler and Kessler go at it :laugh:
But JJ was on for one of the goals(I know not much by his doing) and had that sweet oppurtunity set up by Zajac, which we can say he should have buried, but whatever, it's not like he is the only guy who just missed on a good oppurtunity last night.

If he is in the lineup, I think JJ on pp is fine. For now at least.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
It is hysterical that simply saying Hall had a good game, not a great one because he made some very poor decisions causes this much backlash on this site. Sweet Jesus.

It has nothing to do with creativity. He made stupid decisions. Lane he wanted wasn't there. He paused. Tried to shove it through the defender(s) anyway. Several times. That isn't creativity. That is just making a bad decision. And double-clutching on the shots over and over again was another issue.

This has always been Hall's game though. That was something he did in Edmonton too. I didn't even say he had a great game either, I don't disagree he struggled at times. I just think the expectations for his game are different than his style.

My whole point is that people are expecting him to be perfect and and extremely smart every time with the puck but that's simply not the player he is. His turnovers/poor decisions have always been the main issue with him. He could do the right thing or have great plays 10 times in a row but the 11th could be a boneheaded play, that's just his game.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
But JJ was on for one of the goals(I know not much by his doing) and had that sweet oppurtunity set up by Zajac, which we can say he should have buried, but whatever, it's not like he is the only guy who just missed on a good oppurtunity last night.

If he is in the lineup, I think JJ on pp is fine. For now at least.

JJ actually had two pretty wide open shots that he failed on. If I was the opposition I would invite him to shoot. It's never gonna go in. Zacha's shot makes him a much much bigger threat out there.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
"the Devils 3 best players last night were Taylor Hall, Yohann Auvitu, and Cory Schneider."

How can a defenseman that played 12 something minutes even strength over 5 minutes of PP for 17:30 total have been one of the best players on the team? He didn't produce a point and wasn't on the ice for either of the goals. The first goal 5 forwards were on the ice the other Severson was the only defenseman and got the primary assist.

Auvitu did lead the Defense in shots with 4.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
"the Devils 3 best players last night were Taylor Hall, Yohann Auvitu, and Cory Schneider."

How can a defenseman that play 12 something minutes even strength over 5 minutes of PP for 17:30 total have been one of the best players on the team? He didn't produce a point and wasn't on the ice for either of the goals. The first goal 5 forwards were on the ice the other Severson was the only defenseman and got the primary assist.

Auvitu did lead the Defense in shots with 4.

Severson wasn't even close to OV2. Not even close. Severson wasn't even good overall considering his gaffes could've buried us in the first. He played better later in the game but overall I'd give him a C, like most of his career.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Severson wasn't even close to OV2. Not even close. Severson wasn't even good overall considering his gaffes could've buried us in the first. He played better later in the game but overall I'd give him a C, like most of his career.

no need for swears partner!

Auvitu was a beast in both ends though. Shame Hall couldn't bat one of his shots into the goalmouth so he could get some more shine.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I just remember Severson producing the game winner.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Which means nobody is allowed to credit Auvitu with having a superb game from start to finish, obviously. But despite Hall scoring both goals he had a crap game and we should be disappointed.

Get it through your head SteveCangialosi123StephenBruleAvatar.

For your health!

Seriously though. Decent game after the first period. Maybe they've figured things out.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Which means nobody is allowed to credit Auvitu with having a superb game from start to finish, obviously. But despite Hall scoring both goals he had a crap game and we should be disappointed.

Get it through your head SteveCangialosi123StephenBruleAvatar.

For your health!

Seriously though. Decent game after the first period. Maybe they've figured things out.

No...Not all what I am saying. I think he played a wonderful 17 minutes.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Was throughly impressed with OV2's all around game last night and since preseason, he is also our most creative dman and he was robbed of a goal. He has been a terrific signing.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Was throughly impressed with OV2's all around game last night and since preseason, he is also our most creative dman and he was robbed of a goal. He has been a terrific signing.

For those on the OV2 train, do we agree that he should be skating the puck into the zone on the pp? At least some of the time?

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
For those on the OV2 train, do we agree that he should be skating the puck into the zone on the pp? At least some of the time?

I don't think he is use to skating the puck in on small ice and that's why he usually gives it off.

Don't know why the Devils were not dumping the puck in last night on the PP. I get that Anaheim is a big team and they are strong on the boards but they kept turning it over trying to get it into the zone.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

I don't mind the wind up entry they have going occasionally. But I'm very confused as to why they need 3 players to execute it, just one drop pass is fine not 2. And if they're going to do it then it needs to be more discrete. Not slowly moving up towards our own blue line, look back and then pass it off. Skate with speed, have one player follow and then drop it back quickly.

But overall yea, I'd prefer if Auvitu just carried it in by himself.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
JJ actually had two pretty wide open shots that he failed on. If I was the opposition I would invite him to shoot. It's never gonna go in. Zacha's shot makes him a much much bigger threat out there.

JJ also set Zacha up for a wide open net vs Florida which Zacha rang off the crossbar. So these things do happen. Granted JJ has made a career of it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't think he is use to skating the puck in on small ice and that's why he usually gives it off.

Don't know why the Devils were not dumping the puck in last night on the PP. I get that Anaheim is a big team and they are strong on the boards but they kept turning it over trying to get it into the zone.

Agree smaller ice prob plays into it.

Think part of it is sticking to the plan, this is what coach wants thus he is doing it. But I think it is more effective if opposition thinks him skating it into the zone is a real threat. The 2 options should play off each other.

OV2 dumping in there is also a good option if he and our 3 fwd's have momentum.

Obviously 3rd game of year, so it's a work in progress, and I imagine coach see's this as well. Looking fwd to seeing how it develops, but OV2 is clearly a dangerous option on the PP. Still not clear as to how good he is, there are signs that he is really darn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad