GDT: Devils vs. Ducks - Home Opener! 7:00PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Hall is up there with one of the most fluid offensive players we've ever had, right up there with Kovalchuk. When he moves, the game revolves around him.

How Josefson is getting more minutes over Zacha and even Boucher for that matter is beyond ones imagination. Josefson is what he is and has been for quite some time now. Given our offensive situation, keep him on the 4th line, but anything more than that doesn't make sense. Those two guys particularly aren't anywhere near that 'are what you are' stage yet and watching Josefson was hard at times last night. His game is so predictable and he gets cut off midway up the boards in the offensive zone every time he tries to carry the puck in and it winds up leading to either a rush back out of the zone or an unclean entry.

As a fan watching the game, it's pretty bad if you know what a player will be doing every single time he has the puck so it's no wonder why there is always a guy to cut Josefson off or intercept his play.

Zacha has shown he is strong on the puck and can feed guys with his good vision for passing, why not give him some minutes on the half wall where Josefson was used last year on the PP? If Hynes is so inclined to stay with Josefson there, at least split their time up there.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Hall is up there with one of the most fluid offensive players we've ever had, right up there with Kovalchuk. When he moves, the game revolves around him.

How Josefson is getting more minutes over Zacha and even Boucher for that matter is beyond ones imagination. Josefson is what he is and has been for quite some time now. Given our offensive situation, keep him on the 4th line, but anything more than that doesn't make sense. Those two guys particularly aren't anywhere near that 'are what you are' stage yet and watching Josefson was hard at times last night. His game is so predictable and he gets cut off midway up the boards in the offensive zone every time he tries to carry the puck in and it winds up leading to either a rush back out of the zone or an unclean entry.

As a fan watching the game, it's pretty bad if you know what a player will be doing every single time he has the puck so it's no wonder why there is always a guy to cut Josefson off or intercept his play.

Zacha has shown he is strong on the puck and can feed guys with his good vision for passing, why not give him some minutes on the half wall where Josefson was used last year on the PP? If Hynes is so inclined to stay with Josefson there, at least split their time up there.

there were how many minutes of special teams last night? probably like 1/3 the game. That will skew the TOI since guys like Boucher don't play special teams currently while Josefson does.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Josefson is being played because he's reliable in his own zone. Contrary to popular belief we do not have a lot of good defensive forwards. I am hoping these young kids up their game so they can push down JJs minutes. Also he's decent on the PK and PP and yesterday was a special teams game so thats why he had more time than others. But its really not a big deal, hes not hurting us on the 4th line nor PK nor PP. Top 9 looked good yesterday and thats what matters.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Attended the game last night. Had fun since the Devils got the win, and building was filled with fans, so exciting atmosphere. Some impressions and thoughts on the game:

1) Auvitu looks good. Can make smart plays offensively and defensively. Very pleased with him.

2) Zacha very noticeable all over the ice in a positive way. One of the best forwards on the ice.

3) Hall was a treat to watch, created chances for himself and others even if they didn't result in goals, and he got the monkey off his back by scoring twice. Also looks like a hard worker out there, and, overall, more solid defensively than he gets credit for being in my opinion. Felt like he was on the ice all the time, though that is probably due to the amount of time that was spent on the PP.

4) PP still needs refining. Too much passing and not enough shooting, etc. Would like to see Palmieri's one timer being set up like last year.

5) Lovejoy seems to be settling in more to the Devils system. Had some solid defensive plays last night.

6) Team defense as whole still needs to be tightened up, but seems to be moving in right direction.

7) All in all, any win is a good win for the Devils. Put the two points in the bank, and move onto the next.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm definitely a proponent of swapping Palmieri and Parenteau on the top two lines. Camm-Rico-PAP is reminiscent of Camm-Rico-Stemp, and we've already discussed Hall-Zajac-Palmieri as a juiced up ZZPops line.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Josefson is being played because he's reliable in his own zone. Contrary to popular belief we do not have a lot of good defensive forwards. I am hoping these young kids up their game so they can push down JJs minutes. Also he's decent on the PK and PP and yesterday was a special teams game so thats why he had more time than others. But its really not a big deal, hes not hurting us on the 4th line nor PK nor PP. Top 9 looked good yesterday and thats what matters.

I don't mind Jake on the fourth line and eating PK minutes, but I think in the near future I would like to see Zacha take over on the PP for him. I think he would be able to handle the half board and he has a much better shot than Jacob.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Zacha was pretty bad in the first period. Numerous puck battles lost and he looked timid going into them.

He got warmed up as the game went along though, and made some really nice plays in the 2nd and 3rd period.

I thought his line did well in the first..Wasn't that glorious pass to DSP in front of the net in the 1st? I can't remember.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Not trying to be negative or contrarian but I didn't think Hall played all that well. It's nice that he got 2 goals but I haven't really seen the possession that was sold before he got here nor have I seen any level of O zone dominance. Perhaps it's just a matter of expectations, but haven't been impressed yet at all.

And another thing, again not to be negative as I hope for Auvitu to work out for us but... I'm confused by the love from last nights game. He hardly played. He played about 12 minutes of 5v5 time and 5 minutes of PP time for 17:30. That's like early Gelinas usage. That's not good.

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Hall was buzzing all night. Best player on the ice by quite a bit. He honestly looked a lot like Zach out there but with better speed.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Not trying to be negative or contrarian but I didn't think Hall played all that well. It's nice that he got 2 goals but I haven't really seen the possession that was sold before he got here nor have I seen any level of O zone dominance. Perhaps it's just a matter of expectations, but haven't been impressed yet at all.

Maybe it's bad, but I had similar thoughts last night. "Oh, it's great he scored two goals but they were both on the PP. Where's the dominant even strength player?"

:laugh:

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Hall was buzzing all night. Best player on the ice by quite a bit. He honestly looked a lot like Zach out there but with better speed.

I was just going to say that. He reminds me of that guy who once wore #9. Speaking of speed, who caught Hall from behind on the semi-breakaway in the first? Was it Fowler?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Maybe it's bad, but I had similar thoughts last night. "Oh, it's great he scored two goals but they were both on the PP. Where's the dominant even strength player?"

:laugh:

Trapped on a line with Travis Zajac and PA Parenteau. The sooner Hynes realizes that ain't gonna work, the better. Expecting anywhere near his level of ES production from years past on that line isn't realistic.

And I don't need the whole Zajac speech again. I like him, he does many things well, etc. That doesn't change the fact that he doesn't produce at ES.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
i thought boucher looked good last night, with the little amount of time he was out there
maybe im in the minority

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Zacha was pretty bad in the first period. Numerous puck battles lost and he looked timid going into them.

He got warmed up as the game went along though, and made some really nice plays in the 2nd and 3rd period.

He created three glorious scoring chances in the first, but DSP couldn't bury them. He was great all game long IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad