GDT: Devils vs. Ducks - 1:00 PM - MSG+

Do the Devils make it to the first commercial break without giving up a goal?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camille the Eel

I can’t say that 3d goal was really bad on Blackwood. Perfect shot from a good spot, hard and fast. All goalie’s get beat at times.

His mistake was not anticipating the play and being too deep in his net. The play is in front of him and he can see it develop. You never make a glove stop on that when deep in the net and without anticipating the shot - no one does.

Only way to stop that is to see the play develop and jump out on the angle, maybe also anticipate and get the glove up there. Easy to say in hindsight. But if there was a goalie error it was not reading the play as quickly as the shooter did and sliding out hard on the angle.

Reactions: MartyOwns

Camille the Eel

With how well Blackwood played coming up, he's allowed to have weak games or give up a bad goal considering how many shots he was facing a game in his first few games.

Hell, his first shot against in the NHL he was forced to make a split save on a breakaway.

This is just a poorly coached team with a bad defense and highly inconsistent offense. And the GM did **** all to try and make them better this off season and his plan backfired in his face this year, and he tried saving face with his first few interviews in months saying this team wasnt expecting playoffs this year, even though they are on tape in the NHL hard knocks like documentary talking about playoffs.

A failure from top to bottom.
Really don’t think Blackwood had a poor game.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
dont think so. we arent getting better goaltending without better team defense. and we arent getting better shooting without a better power play.
I’d like to see this team with someone good. KK is fine as a backup or short term starting gigger. Schneids is pretty thoroughly cooked and Blackwood is very green. His start was unsustainable ASF. Schneids from 3-4 years ago would have been great even behind this club. Most don’t realize how good Schneids used to be. Some see how sievey he is now and forget. Just like some forget how truly bad he is now by how great he used to be.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I can’t say that 3d goal was really bad on Blackwood. Perfect shot from a good spot, hard and fast. All goalie’s get beat at times.

His mistake was not anticipating the play and being too deep in his net. The play is in front of him and he can see it develop. You never make a glove stop on that when deep in the net and without anticipating the shot - no one does.

Only way to stop that is to see the play develop and jump out on the angle, maybe also anticipate and get the glove up there. Easy to say in hindsight. But if there was a goalie error it was not reading the play as quickly as the shooter did and sliding out hard on the angle.

agreed. especially about the hindsight part lol

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

The only reason it looks bad is (for once) the shot total wildly favored us. If Blackwood gave up the same goals, with twenty more saves people wouldn't be harping on a bang-bang one-timer in the third period.

He played against Detroit and was bad. He played against Ottawa and was bad. The Devils were also playing better. This isn't 11 out of 15 games. It's not funny. Maybe the Quality of Competition affected Kinkaid's play and he's a better goalie than most of this board thinks. Why is that a bad thing?

I'm just saying the entire team's been consistently awful on the road this year. KK not starting a few of those early games helped his record in the first part of the season. Cory was beyond awful but other than Detroit and maybe the game in Anaheim where the team put in three goals off him I don't see the winnable games he specifically lost.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

I dont either, but people will be hooked up on that third goal against like that is why we lost. It may have been the game winning goal, but that was only the game winner because Bratt scored to make it 3-2. The game was pretty much over from the drop of the puck thanks to the puds behind the bench who have done nothing major adjustment wise with this team and keep rolling along like its just the player not being able to execute their system.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I’d like to see this team with someone good. KK is fine as a backup or short term starting gigger. Schneids is pretty thoroughly cooked and Blackwood is very green. His start was unsustainable ASF. Schneids from 3-4 years ago would have been great even behind this club. Most don’t realize how good Schneids used to be. Some see how sievey he is now and forget. Just like some forget how truly bad he is now by how great he used to be.

Wow I appreciate a thoughtful non-trolling reply from you and I agree. I would like to see Blackwood succeed but I worry he's developing the same bad tendencies that we've seen from goalies under this horrible system. Maybe it's the same in Binghamton but maybe not, I dunno. I don't think Blackwood can carry the load of this team right now and that they need either Kinkaid or Schneider to play decent.

I think Schneider would have been great with this club as well but they would have been Anaheim. a bubble team that I don't think would make the playoffs.

Reactions: Dialamo

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
2016 Cory and a legitimate NHL caliber coach would have this team in a wildcard spot right now. Discounting injuries, I like to think there is enough skill in the lineup (when healthy) that they should at least still be relevant on January 19th. They have shitty goaltending and are poorly coached. Two biggest issues by a country mile.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Wow I appreciate a thoughtful non-trolling reply from you and I agree. I would like to see Blackwood succeed but I worry he's developing the same bad tendencies that we've seen from goalies under this horrible system. Maybe it's the same in Binghamton but maybe not, I dunno. I don't think Blackwood can carry the load of this team right now and that they need either Kinkaid or Schneider to play decent.

I think Schneider would have been great with this club as well but they would have been Anaheim. a bubble team that I don't think would make the playoffs.
You’re certainly welcome and all good points. Schneider pre 2016-2017 has this a bubble team. Not a definite playoff team. I don’t believe tending of the net has caused this team to not be a playoff team but it’s taken the team out of contention. And consider this point, Blackwood is not even a year removed from a historically bad AHL campaign. So I don’t believe if Blackwood turns out stale that it’s also an indictment on the team. He just may not be that good. All of the tending problems on this team have been caused by Schneids untimely and very premature demise. It was the reason the NJD couldn’t get a quality start in net from multiple guys until just before Christmas and it’s tanked KK’s value on his next deal. I don’t think KK is a sub-90% on this team in a backup role. He was a .916% behind an even worse club in 2016-2017 and played some of the best games in net that we saw from an NJD tender that year.

Reactions: haak84

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'd like feedback on this.

Am I right that it couldn't have been anywhere near 25 Devils scoring chances today, or am I wrong?

Scoring chance is so freaking subjective. Technically every shot on goal is a scoring chance, so it's a matter of grading them to seperate the crest-killers from actual dangerous chances. Ten people could probably look at the same game and come up with ten different totals.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
But let's be real. Blackwood had a poor game.
It’s hard to say. He didn’t see a lot of action and that will skew things when you don’t get an adequate work load. Both in your SVP% and in your physical game. Easy to go cold. First ANH goal is an impossible stop to ever make unless you just got lucky. Second ANH goal is a screen in front but stick positioning to his body isn’t good. Third ANH goal is off his shoulder or glove with better angles. He could have had it. I didn’t think it was his worst game. That was against CHI where he was abused shortside all night.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
It’s hard to say. He didn’t see a lot of action and that will skew things when you don’t get an adequate work load. Both in your SVP% and in your physical game. Easy to go cold. First ANH goal is an impossible stop to ever make unless you just got lucky. Second ANH goal is a screen in front but stick positioning to his body isn’t good. Third ANH goal is off his shoulder or glove with tighter angles. He could have had it. I didn’t think it was his worst game. That was against CHI where he was abused shortside all night.

At least a below average game He wasn't a difference maker regardless of workload. We all know thats what this team needs in net. Which aligns to your point in your previous post.

Reactions: Cage Helmet

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Stoppable shot is so freaking subjective. Technically every shot on goal is stoppable, so it's a matter of grading them to seperate the crest-killers from actual dangerous chances. Ten people could probably look at the same game and come up with ten different totals.

agreed!

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Bratt gets benched for some ungodly reason and ends up with two points with less than 14 minutes of toi. Sick.

Reactions: glenwo2

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'd like feedback on this.

Am I right that it couldn't have been anywhere near 25 Devils scoring chances today, or am I wrong?
I would agree with you...there were some good scoring chances this afternoon but I would put that number around 6/7....25 is a ridiculous number in terms of scoring chances for any game.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
The only reason it looks bad is (for once) the shot total wildly favored us. If Blackwood gave up the same goals, with twenty more saves people wouldn't be harping on a bang-bang one-timer in the third period.

I'm just saying the entire team's been consistently awful on the road this year. KK not starting a few of those early games helped his record in the first part of the season. Cory was beyond awful but other than Detroit and maybe the game in Anaheim where the team put in three goals off him I don't see the winnable games he specifically lost.
Carolina game is one where Schneids needed to be better. Can’t get beaten so easily on the five hole on the first shot. Only scored one goal but not a good look for him when he was playing the way he was. His start against Tampa was very poor. Pucks were by him before he even butterflied. We’ve been getting spanked all year by them but that was one where we were in with better tending. Detroit was a real stinker. Got a quick whistle on a cheap bad angler a minute or two in then leaked one goal and bobbled a routine glove wrister on the GWG.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
"with the penalty kill was it easier to make that chance"

man this reporter should play slow pitch softball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad