GDT: Devils vs. Blues - 8:00PM MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm very proud of the way the team responded after a rough first period. Having the goal overturned ****ing sucks, but what can you do.
I really liked the way we played after that goal was overturned.

I liked it a lot. Our PK wasn't very good tonight (0 goals be damned), but the best PK of the night was the one in the last half of the 3rd period, after that overturned goal. Which was another questionable call.

Which is why as terrible as it was, I'm a little bit skeptical that we would have played that well the lead and well enough to win that game in regulation, had that goal counted. Hynes would have overloaded Greene and Santini after that to defend the lead. Even more than they wound up playing anyway. They're failing at the eye test at this point too. The Zajac line would have been out there a lot of the time also.

Between this game and Buffalo, I'm pretty sure we would have got the extra point in one of these games, had these goals not been called back. Not gonna guess which game, but I think we would have gotten an extra point in one of them, but not both of them. There was a lot of time left in regulation for another goal to be scored and the game to be tied again, especially in this one.

Reactions: glenwo2

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I always get nervous when a goal is challenged for offsides this season, at least in a close game like these last two.

Coaching staff's aren't pissing away these challenges anymore like they used to, since they get a penalty if they lose. Maybe if they're down by a couple goals, they'll go ''What the hell'' and use it.

I was surprised when the Bruins used it recently, I think it was a week ago. Since it was not even close to offsides, the game was tied, it was late in regulation and there was no way they were winning that challenge and they didn't.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I always get nervous when a goal is challenged for offsides this season, at least in a close game like these last two.

Coaching staff's aren't pissing away these challenges anymore like they used to, since they get a penalty if they lose. Maybe if they're down by a couple goals, they'll go ''What the hell'' and use it.

I was surprised when the Bruins used it recently, I think it was a week ago. Since it was not even close to offsides, the game was tied, it was late in regulation and there was no way they were winning that challenge and they didn't.

They must have guys looking at replays. Is that allowed?

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I think that shows everyone that nobody really knows what goes on in the war room. Bruins might of been testing the system to see what they could get away with.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They must have guys looking at replays. Is that allowed?
They do.

Every team has one or two video coaches, watching the game either upstairs or in the back, on a monitor. They radio down to the assistants on the benches, you'll see them with the earpiece in. And they'll tell them to challenge it. Sometimes it's even the goalie coach that does it from upstairs.

In the last couple years, they also have tablets on the benches, which show the game on televisions feeds, I'm guessing you can rewind them to go back to the goal, but usually the staff on the bench doesn't have enough time to do this before the puck drop, since they're only supposed to have 30 seconds. That's what the video coach/goalie coach/eye in the sky coach/whatever is supposed to do. He's got his face glued to the monitor in real time, so he's promptly ready to radio down to the bench for a challenge.

Although tonight, I'm sure the Blues staff on the bench could have had enough time to review that from their tablets on the bench, since it seemed to be a little more than the ''Allowed'' 30-35 seconds.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think that shows everyone that nobody really knows what goes on in the war room. Bruins might of been testing the system to see what they could get away with.
Honestly you know what they should do? The official's should be dinged in some cases if they don't get the call right the first time. That's what they're paid to do. I understand they're not perfect and sometimes they might have no chance to get the call right the first time.

But if the same guy keeps having to reverse calls because he didn't ''See it'' the first time, this should be something that he's evaluated on and it should show in his performance evaluation or whatever they do. It gives him an incentive to have more of an eagle eye on getting the calls right the first time.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Damn, this loss really stings. However, the game showed again that we can play with anybody and getting a point in St. Louis isn't bad at all. However, much more would've been possible today. Great game by Nico again, what a player at that age.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I just have no idea wtf they were thinking when they approved the offside challenge. I mean how many times a game does a play like this occur? There are so many of these ultra close zone entries in every single game. What, it only matters if a goal is scored? It’s ridiculous. If you really want to get technical about it, you could literally scrutinize everything that comes afterward. Shots on goal, hits, etc. You have humans making these decisions on the fly. Their decision should be the end of it, whether it’s the correct call or not.

This is a perfect example of the league completely overreacting to one play (the Duchene play, which I think they claimed some other bullshit about "possession" or something in their ass covering afterwards) and making changes without thinking of the potential long term ramifications of it. All because this stupid league doesn't ever want to admit that they f***ed up.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Here is my take: Sammy can’t make such a blatant turnover like he did last night. Is Palimeri still a Devil? He needs to show up and start to contribute. Zacha looked like a scared rabbit last night. I’m worried the kid is a head case. And the Devils deserved the two points. They get robbed again.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Yup, slept on it and my feeling has not changed at all. Replay system is the biggest farce in hockey (that’s saying a lot) and NJ got boned royally last night. No sugarcoating it.

Reactions: glenwo2

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
How did we get Parise as part of that? I need a history lesson.

As a part of the Scott Stevens tampering ruling, New Jersey had the right to switch 1st round picks with St Louis in a 5 year time period. In 2003, the last year they could exercise the switch, NJ won the cup and switched the 30th pick for St Louis' 20th...we then moved up to 17 in a trade with Edmonton to draft Parise.

St Louis is probably more responsible for NJ's historical success than any other single thing.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
On the bright side, we're still 7 points above the last WC team and we still have some games at hand on half the division.

Ohh, and Nico, Bratt, and Hall are consistently the best/most dangerous players on the ice almost every game.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
kinkaid got smoked twice in the shootout, no two ways about it. but I can’t blame him for that when neither of our guys scored. and again, let’s look at this objectively. we had our ‘scrub’ backup playing, his first game since 12/9, against one of the best teams in the league, and he absolutely gave us a chance to win it. I don’t know what anyone else would expect from our backup, but apparently the expectations are pretty lofty.

I’m not saying that he’s better than schneider- he’s obviously not. but kinkaid’s GAA and SVP% were better than cory’s this season. so again- what more were you looking for? make a save in the shootout? fair enough. but let’s not drag him over the coals for that, given the context.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So what did Hynes have to say post game?

At some point you have to take shots at the league. Get it into the media.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
As a part of the Scott Stevens tampering ruling, New Jersey had the right to switch 1st round picks with St Louis in a 5 year time period. In 2003, the last year they could exercise the switch, NJ won the cup and switched the 30th pick for St Louis' 20th...we then moved up to 17 in a trade with Edmonton to draft Parise.

St Louis is probably more responsible for NJ's historical success than any other single thing.

What year did STL try to tamper with Stevens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad