GDT: Devils vs. Blues - 24 More To Go - 8:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camille the Eel

How was Jack Hughes first game as a winger in the NHL? I believe it was the first time he was going to play wing in the NHL.
He was creative and stylish, possessed the puck and skated with it for significant moments, made superb passes generally, in all three zones - but it didn’t lead to anything. He looked like he belonged on the ice against the current champs and was probably our best forward. But the latter isn’t saying all that much tonight.

He is going to be a star in this league in two or three more years. Skating with the puck and dishing he’s a phenom.

He’s going to come in for major trashing on this board because he’s not McDavid in year one.

Reactions: xigon and Maine Fan

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Not anything to good. He did the same things he would do at center except he was higher up the ice.

He was creative and stylish, possessed the puck and skated with it for significant moments, made superb passes generally, in all three zones - but it didn’t lead to anything. He looked like he belonged on the ice against the current champs and was probably our best forward. But the latter isn’t saying all that much tonight.

He is going to be a star in this league in two or three more years. Skating with the puck and dishing he’s a phenom.

He’s going to come in for major trashing on this board because he’s not McDavid in year one.
Thank you for the replies! I agree, I believe he will be very good in the future. Maybe, he will find a home on Hischier's wing!

Reactions: xigon

crashline

What smells like, brother?
Feb 10, 2018
We desperately need an adult in the room capable of picking through the wreckage to distinguish those contributing to the problem from those being legitimately held back by it.

As an aside, Hughes' play has raised legitimate questions about the kind and calibre of player he can be at this level, but you're asking a lot tossing an 18yo into a meat grinder that's simultaneously sinking and on fire. How many teenagers have endured a rookie season that's claimed their coach, captain, GM and star player? The mark of Hughes will be whether he's better for the lessons of this season. He looks awful now, but show me who doesn't?

We need definitive calls on a coach and a GM, and we need them soon.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I completely disagree that Hughes “looks awful.”’ Only if you think he should be McDavid or Mackinnon. And not even then. “Awful?”’ No way.

Maybe he doesn't 'look' awful sometimes but his statline is certainly awful for a 1OA in the last generation. I don't think anyone in their most modest expectations had Hughes penciled in for 7 goals and 20 points after 51 games, with a -22 to boot. Modest expectations were like 35-40 points for 75 games.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Maybe he doesn't 'look' awful sometimes but his statline is certainly awful for a 1OA in the last generation. I don't think anyone in their most modest expectations had Hughes penciled in for 7 goals and 20 points after 51 games, with a -22 to boot. Modest expectations were like 35-40 points for 75 games.

We also weren’t supposed to be an offensive tire fire with Hall, Coleman, and very possibly Palms all getting traded.

He is a scrawny 18 year old on a team with no offensive structure and a dog shit PP. His stats make sense in that context.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’m sick and tired of reading excuses on top of excuses when talking about Damon Severson.

If the Leafs want him, maybe we can pull a Larsson/Hall type of deal and ask for Nylander.

I’m so tired of watching this guy **** up in our own zone.
I can’t even comprehend why everyone is down on the Severson when he’s clearly our best defenseman and he’s struggling only because he has to be our 1D while partnered with bad players on a team where only some of the forwards attempt to help out defensively. You’re blaming Damon for not being Victor f***ing Hedman.

We don’t need to remove Severson, we need to add defenseman. This team would be a whole lot more functional with two solid middle pairing LD. And, yes, losing Greene made our defense much worse because our collection of crap bottom-pairing flotsam now have to get more playing time.

That said, I 100% approve of trading Severson for William Nylander. Unfortunately I don’t believe Toronto would actually do that.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Let's also not forget that Hughes was playing a step above high school hockey last year and he still leads the 2019 draft class in scoring so it's not like anyone else from the class is wowing right now. At least Hughes shows glimpses of what he'll be. Jack Hughes is the last thing I'm worried about in regards to this team.

Yea he is out scoring Kakko and Dach in less games.

crashline

What smells like, brother?
Feb 10, 2018
I completely disagree that Hughes “looks awful.”’ Only if you think he should be McDavid or Mackinnon. And not even then. “Awful?”’ No way.

On reflection you're right, he looks amazing.

Perhaps a little less emphasis on the semantics of "awful" in favour of digesting the entire paragraph that supposes he's a victim of our shambolic, rudderless sh*t show. He's shown some tasty glimpses in situations that suit him but his game needs extensive work - which is perfectly normal for a kid adjusting to a new level. I'm not ragging on that kid. We need to install that rudder, was my point.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Hughes is just high event hockey always. Either a glorious chance for or a glorious chance against. There is really no in between when he is on the ice. No boring shifts for him.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

The team is going nowhere. Since building a roster in the NHL is so draft dependent, we need to amass as many picks as possible. Vatanen is an UFA this year and won't be coming back. Get something for him.

Simmonds has to go, but I doubt he has any trade value.

You consider trading Palmieri if the price is right.

If Zajac wants to go win a cup, you listen to offers for him.

If some wants Will Butcher, get what you can for him. He's terrible.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I can’t rip on Severson for last night’s game. He had a rough time but is literally working with no one at the moment. Our defense is astoundingly awful. These last 20 or so games aren’t going to be pretty, that much is for sure.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I can’t even comprehend why everyone is down on the Severson when he’s clearly our best defenseman and he’s struggling only because he has to be our 1D while partnered with bad players on a team where only some of the forwards attempt to help out defensively. You’re blaming Damon for not being Victor ****ing Hedman.

We don’t need to remove Severson, we need to add defenseman. This team would be a whole lot more functional with two solid middle pairing LD. And, yes, losing Greene made our defense much worse because our collection of crap bottom-pairing flotsam now have to get more playing time.

That said, I 100% approve of trading Severson for William Nylander. Unfortunately I don’t believe Toronto would actually do that.

It’s pretty easy to comprehend, Damon Severson is a mediocre defender and a average producer offensively. He’s basically an "offensive” #4 dman that will put his team in trouble when the puck is in his own zone.

If he’s our best dman, which he isn’t, we’re in a world of trouble and we need to bring in 6 new dmen. I would trade him for just about anything and try and get guys who are on the market with the assets we gained, like Matt Dumba for example.

I’ve been reading the same excuses for Severson for about 4 years now and his play has remained the same. At some point, you have to see what he is and stop making excuses. True, his partners haven’t been all that great but the mistakes he makes are all on him. He doesn’t tie up his guy in the slot, he goes in the same corner as his partner, he tries to pinch when no one else is there to cover him, etc, etc, etc.

Those are all mental breakdowns and it has nothing to do with the guy playing on his left side.

Last edited:
Reactions: JK3 and Bosskarelli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad