GDT: Devils vs. Blues - 24 More To Go - 8:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I have a hard time really ragging on Severson for last night's game when the team collectively didn't do much in any facet of the game. No one had anything to show for tonight aside from Domingue. Severson has been good to very good for the last several games, and he's going to be leaned on even more heavily if we're going to be missing Butcher for any length of time and we end up trading Vatanen. Him and Subban are the only ones who will be able to log heavy minutes without likely getting caved in.

Ugh, this is going to be a shit show to end the year. :laugh: Anyone know how Spokane's season is ending and if we can give Ty some looks to end the year? Or will that burn an ELC year? (Not that I care about that very much)

Glad to hear that Merkley is OK, too. That was a scary sight.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hughes is a shot-generating machine and you can see glimpses of him being able to pick pockets.

Tonight was just professionals vs. amateurs. The inexperience both on the ice and on the bench showed.

Hughes is just high event hockey always. Either a glorious chance for or a glorious chance against. There is really no in between when he is on the ice. No boring shifts for him.

He really isn't though. He's certainly not on the ice for a lot of chances for. Below average actually. He's chances against #'s are also better then the majority of the team.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Here's the thing, and maybe it's just me, but I feel like looking at these advanced stats on someone like Hughes is kind of meaningless currently given that he clearly is in the adjustment phase to the league still and our team by-and-large is not very good offensively. We know those numbers are going to look bad when you see who he's playing with and how he's lacking in production.

I know they have value, but with Jack, right now the eye test seems to be the best. He clearly has capabilities and strengths even if he's overmatched physically at the moment. The talent and smarts are there. I'm not worried about his lack of production at the moment with the team largely in disarray, as long as he starts to play with more confidence. If this became a trend in year 2 and year 3, I'll start to worry.

If they're going to experiment with him on the wing more, that's going to be another adjustment he'll have to work with. And given how we were basically quarantined away from the slot last night, no one really generated any chances in particular.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
He’s played 26:30 minutes against a very motivated St Louis Blues team while often being paired with garbage.

He’s not going to fair well as the 1D playing half the game against a top team.

He is the garbage. His plays on all of those goals were inexcusable. What are you watching?

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I have a hard time really ragging on Severson for last night's game when the team collectively didn't do much in any facet of the game. No one had anything to show for tonight aside from Domingue. Severson has been good to very good for the last several games, and he's going to be leaned on even more heavily if we're going to be missing Butcher for any length of time and we end up trading Vatanen. Him and Subban are the only ones who will be able to log heavy minutes without likely getting caved in.

Ugh, this is going to be a shit show to end the year. :laugh: Anyone know how Spokane's season is ending and if we can give Ty some looks to end the year? Or will that burn an ELC year? (Not that I care about that very much)

Glad to hear that Merkley is OK, too. That was a scary sight.

The same folks have a hard time ragging on severson for four years. All three goals were rookie defenseman garbage. Go watch them again and please tell me how any should be blamed on subban or white?

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
The team is going nowhere. Since building a roster in the NHL is so draft dependent, we need to amass as many picks as possible. Vatanen is an UFA this year and won't be coming back. Get something for him.

Simmonds has to go, but I doubt he has any trade value.

You consider trading Palmieri if the price is right.

If Zajac wants to go win a cup, you listen to offers for him.

If some wants Will Butcher, get what you can for him. He's terrible.

This team is going nowhere once it gets its draft picks. It takes years for these picks to develop if they ever develop

Camille the Eel

I am happy with Sevs growth this year. He’s our # 1 guy in my eyes and one of the keys to our future, if we are going to have any success any time soon.

But for that to happen, I just want him to eliminate the mental mistakes. You see him making the same mental errors year in, year out - for instance that hard pass right across our own crease. (Which didn’t result in a goal, by the way). How many times does he have to do it to learn it can’t be done?

You like to see a player learn from their errors. Please just stop centering the puck when under pressure in our own end, is that too much to ask?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This team is going nowhere once it gets its draft picks. It takes years for these picks to develop if they ever develop

You are just starting to see the hints of past drafts paying off. Zacha isn’t great but he’s an NHL player. MBW is at least an NHL goalie if early in his development curve still. Merkley is from the 2015 draft I think and looks the part of an NHL player. ANDERSON looks much better than last year and we will see if he sticks. Bingo is playing much better as the young players start to mature and presumably a couple of other players start to show actual NHL potential (other than future pint sized CROSBY who is going to bolt the organization for greener pastures). Most wont hit and most that do will be depth players but a few are likely to be better than that. Even guys like Nico Bratt and Jack have a great deal of growth left in them. Forward development is showing some fruit and it’s easy to be confident that more young forwards are on true way. To me it really comes down to developing some top four defenders. If they do you will see a great jump in the standings at some point. If not then it will get ugly absent some fortuitous trades.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's insane that we basically win every game with Blackwood and lose every game with Domingue, but here we are. @Bleedred this has to be the end of Domingue's career right? Everyone could pretend he was good when he was putting up numbers behind Tampa's defense against cream puff teams, but his performance this year really cannot be ignored. I think we would have been better off with Senn.
I meant to reply to this yesterday and was unable to, but I kind of wish I had, with what's transpired today.

I already think Domingue has been relegated to tweener status. One of those guys that gets signed for the AHL, but that teams feel is okay enough to call up and used as the third string NHL goalie.

But now it looks like somebody actually wants to TRADE for him as of this morning, so what the hell do I know? Now, that's not to say they're not trading him for their AHL team (whoever trades for him) but maybe everyone really does love our garbage.

Never mind, looks like he was waived and it wasn't a pending trade.

Reactions: Blackjack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad