GDT: Devils vs. Blue Jackets - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Signal

Jan 18, 2018
They would never say it but you have to believe that team confidence and morale goes down the toilet knowing Cory is starting.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Just gut the team. Anyone over 25 or not in the long term plan is for sale for picks or 18-20 year olds prospects.

Reactions: R8NJD

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They would never say it but you have to believe that team confidence and morale goes down the toilet knowing Cory is starting.

Probably but they always get their **** kicked in at that stupid arena anyway with the cannon.

Reactions: David Conte

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Apparently this Elvis guy now has 3 shutouts in his last 4 games (other two against VGK, BOS) so I guess he's the real deal (at least atm). But hey we had Marty, sucks that those days are gone, but I guess this is what most other teams felt back then. Can someone please remaster of all the devils seasons from 94-95 to 02-03 into a big pile of blurays, so I can just keep watching those over and over again and not be bother by the present.

Reactions: My3Sons

Signal

Jan 18, 2018
Probably but they always get their **** kicked in at that stupid arena anyway with the cannon.

That goddamn cannon is salt in the wounds! LOL And of course they always score at least 5 goals and beat the hell out of us.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Might as well sell Palms and Coleman for futures while the price is high. They will be aged out by the time this team is good.
yeah I might keep Coleman (depending on the return) but you can't expect to re-sign every guy who is going to be over 30 majority of the next contract. Even if the Devils were good right now that might be a bad idea. and also you have to give to get and aside from Nico/Jack not much else holds a ton of value on this team and those two can't be traded.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Oilers of the east. Especially if we hire a bunch of ex-Devils to fill the front office, and I really hope that doesn't happen.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you're selling Coleman and Palms along with our other FA's and start a real teardown this team is going to make Lou's last roster look good by comparison next year.

Reactions: tr83

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Just a couple of different draft choices and the devils would be miles better.I know every team can say the same but some truly mind boggling choices we made.
Tedendby and Zacha ...
Draft J Carlson and Rantanen instead and whammy .. two franchise players .
I just don’t get why Lou and Conte take the midget Swedish winger over a US born defenceman from the state of NJ .....we even desperately needed D at that time too but nooooooooooo.
That and Lou left the team with zero NHL level centers going into the Zacha draft. I believe Zajac got hurt and was going to be out a couple of months and we had no one to play C . So they take the bigger and “more NHL ready “ Zacha over Rantanen Barzal Provorov etc etc ...... Very idiotic move.
For over a decade now the drafting has been near the worst in the NHL . We have nothing to show from drafting besides no-brainer picks Nico Hughes and Smith

Reactions: Guttersniped

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If you're selling Coleman and Palms along with our other FA's and start a real teardown this team is going to make Lou's last roster look good by comparison next year.

Yeah but they will have actual futures to show for it instead of the barren wasteland. Being bad beyond bad and having nothing to show for it but Pavel Zacha is why we are where we are.

They had nothing to sell off those teams to get prime assets. They weren’t bad enough to get a McDavid or even Marner because we traded another high pick for Cory (which has turned into an all time disaster move)

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Whatever assets they get back can be used in trades for younger players (like how they acquired Palmieri). Then you have to count on a guy like Hughes getting better and whoever the next coach is to have a better impact. If they're going all in on analytics they should be able to find a way to buy low on both trades/ufa

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Other than Nico and possibly Blackwood we really don't know how good any of those futures are going to be though. Ty Smith and Boqvist didn't contribute nearly as much as anyone here thought they were going to this year (with Smith not even making the team). Bratt's leveled off since his rookie year, same with Butcher. Even Hughes is still a question mark at this point.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If you're selling Coleman and Palms along with our other FA's and start the teardown this team is going to make Lou's last roster look good by comparison next year.
Exactly this. I know it is horrible and it’s very frustrating to suck like this for years and say “screw it trade everyone “ but can’t trade everyone . Coleman for sure is needed for his ability but even more important , his character and showing the kids how to play the game the right way .
Palms and Coleman are about the only two guys that can actually put the puck in the net. Why would we trade them ?

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
Sell the players and get Gomez sykora and holik back .. madden too, he just left his team

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Exactly this. I know it is horrible and it’s very frustrating to suck like this for years and say “screw it trade everyone “ but can’t trade everyone . Coleman for sure is needed for his ability but even more important , his character and showing the kids how to play the game the right way .
Palms and Coleman are about the only two guys that can actually put the puck in the net. Why would we trade them ?
Because there's a decent chance that the team might not be good in the remaining years those two continue their level of play and therefore re-signing them might not be worth it but the Devils might get a lot back in return because those two have a year remaining on their deal so the acquiring team would get 2 playoff runs out of them.

Coleman's contract is especially valuable and they can retain on Palmieri's without having future cap space issues as well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Because there's a decent chance that the team might not be good in the remaining years those two continue their level of play and therefore re-signing them might not be worth it but the Devils might get a lot back in return because those two have a year remaining on their deal so the acquiring team would get 2 playoff runs out of them.

If they're gonna do another rebuild then the only rationale for getting rid of Shero is he doesn't deserve another rebuild. But he likely would be a better GM for a rebuild than anyone else they bring in. It's the whole turning rebuild into a contender thing that they were struggling with and why they made a change.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Saying Nico and Hughes are busts is crazy.
It could of been far worse. Nolan Patrick could have been taken instead of Nico . In hindsight Pettersson would of been awesome to draft but if Shero went that far off the board for the first pick and he busted...
A lot of other teams passed on Pettersson too.
Same with Hughes . No way in hell any NHL GM takes Makar at 1 .
Mackinnon and Stamkos was very lack lustre his first season or two . Give Hughes a break . He is playing on the 30th place team right now and had a garbage coach playing a terrible system that has / had everyone putting up career worst numbers so far.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
How many games until the trade deadline?

tumblr_mtbj4s1WSC1rxjp6no1_r2_500.png

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Shero’s biggest mistake was buying this offseason to impress Hall when they should have status quoed or sold.

If that was his idea he deserved his firing. If ownership pushed him to do it to impress Hall, we might be more royally ****ed.

Trying to impress Hall when he likely had no intention of giving him a max deal anyway was an extremely narrow tightrope to walk. They would have had to have the complete opposite start they did for that strategy to have a chance to work.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad