Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
And that he had no broadcast experience of any kind when given the role. I always loved Sal, so I was thrilled he stuck around the team in any capacity. I'm glad they gave him room to grow because he's a genuinely smart and interesting hockey mind.
I fear he will answer the call to coach soon and that may take him to a different team.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I fear he will answer the call to coach soon and that may take him to a different team.
I mean he’s already made his money, probably enjoy’s what he’s doing with the organization he played for and may not be willing to commit the time to coaching. Doesn’t he have a young kid that he helps with too? Could be wrong

I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened but coaching is a huge commitment with a ton of time and travel and if he’s settled in New Jersey with his family doing stuff he enjoys he may not be interested in pursuing that. Isn’t for a lot of people. Even capable ones.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Yep, would not have wanted the Devils to sign Helle to 7 years at 8.5mil.

Glad we can all definitively move on now

Ya, there goes that dream. We certainly couldn't afford that cap hit, and I suspect that contract is almost certainly going to look terrible by the end. I'm glad we won't be the ones left holding the bag.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

I mean he’s already made his money, probably enjoy’s what he’s doing with the organization he played for and may not be willing to commit the time to coaching. Doesn’t he have a young kid that he helps with too? Could be wrong

I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened but coaching is a huge commitment with a ton of time and travel and if he’s settled in New Jersey with his family doing stuff he enjoys he may not be interested in pursuing that. Isn’t for a lot of people. Even capable ones.

Got curious and found this article with Novo from last year:

“I don’t have a passion for coaching,” Salvador said. “I like the business side of the game –– the hockey operations, the player development. I’ve always gravitated towards that. There might be a combination of that tied in with the broadcasting.

“I don’t have a definitive end game here. I really enjoy the broadcasting and slowly adding more involvement with the Devils and looking to do more things with them.”

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Yeah Miller was legitimately good (for his role) most of last year. some adjustment time is understandable, the Devils defensive system is a little wonky.
Miller should be fantastic fit.

He comes with veteran status, but is still close to his prime. Few bad practice games don't change that anywhere. It would have to be extremely bad season to take him of the team. Especially for the playoffs you want guys like him that have been there.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Just replace “X” with “Twitter” and the tweets show up all nice.
Great tip! A treat for you

IMG_0822.gif

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I want Bryce Salvador as a guest on spittin chiclets.

Cause it's the only time he'd ever have the chance to say ''Well thank god someone was stupid enough to give John MacLean another coaching job in the NHL''.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Every year there seems to be a wishful thinking idea or two by our fanbase, likely every fanbase.

Last year it was ''Smith was signed to be the 7th defenseman!''. I said at best Smith may be the 7th defenseman by the end of the season, but he's gonna be an every night player when the season starts. And he pretty much was until about the trade deadline or so. He did get scratched a couple of times before the deadline, with the first being I think in late November/early December, but it didn't start becoming a regular thing until after that.

This year's version of that is people wanting Miller waived (so Nemec can stay up) and implying there's any chance of that actually happening.

Miller is not a bad defenseman (seems to be a good bottom pairing guy) despite a bad game or two in the preseason, but even if he were, I think it would take quite a bit of suckage to get him waived.

Nemec is likely ready to be able to play in the NHL, but to what extent and how much? I think that's unknown. I don't think they wanted him up being a healthy scratch regularly, like what happened with Holtz for several months last year, and I don't think any of us want that to happen either. Not even the people who super strongly believe he should be on the team right now. If he were to have started the roster on the team, I doubt he would be in the lineup every night. So it's better that he's back to the AHL, at least until he's needed and ready to play every night, on top of all that.

Reactions: guitarguyvic

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I thought he was perfectly adequate. I preferred him with the puck to Graves most of the time. I'd rather boards and out than some of the dipsy shit Graves tried.
Ya Graves wasn’t good either. Think he became a bit overrated partly because Marino made him look better and propped him up.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Every year there seems to be a wishful thinking idea or two by our fanbase, likely every fanbase.

Last year it was ''Smith was signed to be the 7th defenseman!''. I said at best Smith may be the 7th defenseman by the end of the season, but he's gonna be an every night player when the season starts. And he pretty much was until about the trade deadline or so. He did get scratched a couple of times before the deadline, with the first being I think in late November/early December, but it didn't start becoming a regular thing until after that.

This year's version of that is people wanting Miller waived (so Nemec can stay up) and implying there's any chance of that actually happening.

Miller is not a bad defenseman (seems to be a good bottom pairing guy) despite a bad game or two in the preseason, but even if he were, I think it would take quite a bit of suckage to get him waived.

Nemec is likely ready to be able to play in the NHL, but to what extent and how much? I think that's unknown. I don't think they wanted him up being a healthy scratch regularly, like what happened with Holtz for several months last year, and I don't think any of us want that to happen either. Not even the people who super strongly believe he should be on the team right now. If he were to have started the roster on the team, I doubt he would be in the lineup every night. So it's better that he's back to the AHL, at least until he's needed and ready to play every night, on top of all that.

I don’t see us waiving Miller because our RHD depth sucks. He might be too pricy to lose to at this point on waivers but some team is always looking for RHD so who knows.

Nemec can’t be too bent out of shape here. He’s 19 and they traded for a filler who will be a UFA in a year. It was a very positive pre-season for him. He’s better off playing in Utica than sitting around here.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
The thing about Smith is we know exactly what he can and can't do.

We know he'll take a dumb penalty or 3...

but

He's a character guy
Gives good interviews
Apparently works his ass off
Accepts his role without complaint

Is surprisingly mobile and can move the puck pretty decently
Ya I think these were big selling points for us knowing we had a ton of young dmen that were going to be apart of the team in the near future. Luke was coming off a phenomenal freshman year, Nemec was just drafted, and Bahl and Okh were guys trying to break into the league full time

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Winnipeg and Buffalo had big resignings today.

Where is the Mercer signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad