Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We are getting old! We have to start selling off the old guys before they start to get too old and get younger. Am I doing it right guys?

When the team is good the age is less important. If the team stunk like it did why stock it with guys who can’t get any better but will get worse? You notice it’s not an issue now that the team is ready to win.

Reactions: Guadana and HBK27

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Did we ever hear what the team bonding trip even was? I remember it was West Point last year. Doubt they did the same thing two years in a row.

It was almost like they were being secretive about it this year. Everybody kept talking about it, but never specified. Last year they talked about going to West Point even before they went.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Did we ever hear what the team bonding trip even was? I remember it was West Point last year. Doubt they did the same thing two years in a row.

It was almost like they were being secretive about it this year. Everybody kept talking about it, but never specified. Last year they talked about going to West Point even before they went.

Judging by the team's age, probably DJai's for a weekend. Hopefully Jack didn't pull a 2019 Sam Darnold. :laugh:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

They did West Point for the rookie camp, I thought

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Dammit, it just now hit me. I can't complain about Wood's dumb ass anymore. Who should I choose to replace him?:laugh:

You think you have problems? @SteveCangialosi123 and I have like seven years of vitriol with Severson to get over.

My money is that Alexander Holtz will be the disappointment whipping boy, Tierney will be honorary @Bleedred "wtf is this ahler on this team for guy", and Colin Miller will take over the open role of odd game losing defensive play guy.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
What's the deal with Foote's "injury" - wasn't he struck in the face by a puck during practice, but still played a game after that and hasn't been seen since?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
what are some reasons?

i only knew the number because of capfriendly!
Cap space is calculated daily, not yearly.

The $83,500,000 cap number is for the entire season, which is 181 days. That means each team has a limit of $461,325.97 in cap space every day (83.5 million divided by 181 days). Player salaries are also calculated daily - Jack Hughes has an average annual value of $8,000,000 meaning that every day he accounts for $44,198.90 against the cap (8 million divided by 181 days).

Every day that we operate under the cap, we save that much cap space for use later. If our daily salary is $452,058.26 (which it currently is according to Puckpedia) against a daily cap of $461,325.97, that means we "bank" $9,267.71 in space for that day. We can use that cap space later to call up players or add guys at the deadline. If the salary numbers are the same tomorrow, we bank another + $9,267.71, which gives us a total of $18,535.42 banked over the season.

Long Term Injured Reserve works a little different - when a player is on LTIR, their daily cap hit still goes against the cap, but we are allowed to exceed the cap by roughly that amount. So if Jack Hughes went on LTIR, his daily $44,198.90 would still be on the books, but we would be able to exceed the cap by a certain amount determined by his salary - this is called the "LTIR pool".

The cap pool is calculated by subtracting the unused daily cap space we have the day he goes on LTIR (in this case, $9,267.71) from the cap hit of the player on LTIR ($44,198.90). This would give us an LTIR pool of $34,931.19 per day. That is the amount we can exceed the cap by every day that Hughes remains on LTIR. The "true" cap is still $461,325.97 a day, but for as long as Hughes is on LTIR we would be able to operate with a daily cap number of up to $496,257.16 a day (daily cap ceiling + LTIR pool). This gives us room to call up players, make a trade, or pick guys up off waivers and have a full roster while still being cap compliant.

So, LTIR allows you exceed the daily cap while still being able to operate. The problem is that if you are over the true cap due to LTIR, you cannot bank daily cap space. So if Hughes is on LTIR and we have a daily cap hit of $475,000, we are cap compliant due to LTIR. But we are still technically over the cap, in this case by $21,257.16. So we won't bank any cap space that day.

So, injuries can really mess up the cap. We have seen this a lot the past few years with Tampa and Vegas having outrageous LTIR pools of like +$20,000,000 over the cap. Teams carrying nearly 100 million in cap but still technically being compliant due to LTIR. Also the use of LTIR to stash expensive players (like Nikita Kucherov) until the playoffs, when the salary cap disappears and they mysteriously become healthy enough to activate. For those teams, they need to be extremely careful about how they trade for guys at the deadline since they are already exceeding the cap - it usually has to be a dollar out for every dollar in.

This is also part of the reason budget teams like taking on dead contracts. While there is a maximum upper limit on how much cap teams can have ($83,500,000), there is also a minimum amount of cap they must spend as well, called the lower limit (which is $61,700,000 this year). A team like Arizona doesn't want to spend that much money since they are broke and not trying to compete this year, so they will trade for contracts of permanently LTIR or retired players. Between Shea Weber, Jakub Voracek, and Bryan Little, Arizona has over $21,000,000 in cap space for players who will never see this ice again. If those guys are on LTIR an unable to play, their salary is usually paid by insurance. Retired players don't get paid at all. So Arizona is 1/3 of their way to being cap compliant while spending little to no actual cash. Both are very good for them, now they only need to spend about $40,000,000 in actual salary on their NHL roster to be cap compliant. It lets them field a team that's cheaper and worse than other NHL teams, which is exactly what they want.

Navigating the cap is extremely tricky and there are a lot of weird situational rules - this isn't even covering things like performance bonuses.

tl;dr - Using LTIR to gain cap relief messes with your ability to gain cap space, which will hurt our ability to add salary at the deadline.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don’t have a big problem with Holtz on the 3rd line even if I would’ve kept him up for a bit but if Haula’s out I probably keep him up for now to spread things out. Palat-Lazar-Holtz looks god f***ing awful
If Haula is out:

Toffoli-Hughes-Bratt
Timo-Nico-Holtz
Palat-McLeod-Mercer
Nosek-Lazar-Bastian

That would still be an above average 3rd line imo.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Has the cap always been calculated that way? Or is it fairly new

I remember back in the day that your cap space was the same number at the beginning of the year and at the deadline unless addictions or subtractions of course

Maybe I’m remembering things wrong

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
How has Holtz looked? Will he be getting solid minutes? Pp time?
Mixed bag, third line and will prob get little pp just because of all the talent around him

Hughes,Bratt,Meier,toffoli all have or probably will play the half wall spot at some point throughout the year

Reactions: LuGBuG

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haula's a decent piece but the Devils should curb stomp Detroit without him especially with how atrocious their backend is.
Same with Arizona

I’m going to jump through my TV and curbstomp Bill if he starts up with the dumb “Coyotes are a hard working team for everything they lack Dano” like the two times last year.

f*** the future SLC hockey team.

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: