Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Lol at posters thinking that the coaching staff was gonna roll with two rookie defenders and Bahl on the top pairing to start the season.

Nemec being sent down was always gonna be the likely outcome no matter how good of a camp he had.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The NJ defense will start slowly with Bahl being forced into a bigger role and Luke having to adjust to the daily grind faced by an NHL player. If they stay healthy by the end of the season they could be a force as they mature. As good as Luke was in thr playoffs last season he should be even better and more well rounded as a player by the end of this season. Same for Bahl. No way Fitz and management saw the team getting this good this fast.

Reactions: Guadana

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I'm just hoping that Bahl doesn't have any regression or sophomore slump, as is common for many players. With veterans like Severson and Graves leaving, a large part of our success this season could hinge on whether Bahl is able to mature into his expanded role.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'm just hoping that Bahl doesn't have any regression or sophomore slump, as is common for many players. With veterans like Severson and Graves leaving, a large part of our success this season could hinge on whether Bahl is able to mature into his expanded role.
Not really worried about how Bahl will do in the top 4 replacing Graves. Especially playing with Marino.

Think the 3rd pair in Luke and Smith or Miller could be one that causes some issues early on.

Like I said in the Nemec thread a while back any chance he is loaned to a better league?
Not a chance at all.

There also isn’t a better league than the AHL IMO.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I find it very strange that people think Miller is going to be tossed aside over a few preseason games when he's played significant roles on teams that have made deep playoff runs before. That's just not how NHL coaching staffs and front offices operate. He's going to get some run before they just give up on him.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
A preemptive reminder that the cut down day roster and the roster for game 1 are often very different. Don’t read too much into what is submitted to the league two days before a game as there are usually paper moves made for cap reasons.

Reactions: My3Sons

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Miller just put up 21 points in 79 games and was a +23 playing 16:45 a night for a good Dallas Stars team, so there's no doubt in my mind that he can handle the 3rd pairing role.

He's here to be the placeholder for Nemec. It's entirely possible Nemec takes that role in due time. It's perfectly alright if it isn't right now.
Nemec is also eligible to have his ELC slide another year. It’s almost a guarantee the Devils would prefer that to happen unless they absolutely need Nemec.

It is likely for the best that this year is for Hughes/Bahl to settle into NHL roles. Then you have Nemec be the rookie next year so you’re not too green on the blue line.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I find it very strange that people think Miller is going to be tossed aside over a few preseason games when he's played significant roles on teams that have made deep playoff runs before. That's just not how NHL coaching staffs and front offices operate. He's going to get some run before they just give up on him.
Often the proposed line combos and roster decisions I see on here leave me scratching my head. You’d think people posting on a hockey message board would be a bit less naive and more in tune with the decisions NHL staffs are likely to make.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
A preemptive reminder that the cut down day roster and the roster for game 1 are often very different. Don’t read too much into what is submitted to the league two days before a game as there are usually paper moves made for cap reasons.
No they aren’t. Other than 1 or 2 small things they are usually exactly what you can expect for game 1. Sometimes there’s some paper things for cap reasons like what we did with Bahl and Nemec last year. Definitely not very different. Ours as with a lot of teams will almost certainly be the exact same. Unless Haula is going on IR which doesn’t seem likely it will be the same.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Often the proposed line combos and roster decisions I see on here leave me scratching my head. You’d think people posting on a hockey message board would be a bit less naive and more in tune with the decisions NHL staffs are likely to make.
I actually think you’re just not reading it properly. Most of what I’ve seen is that people want Nemec to start because they think he deserves it. But at the same time most people seem pretty aware that isn’t likely, Ruff doesn’t want 3 roomie D in and that they weren’t just gonna toss Miller aside.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Nemec is also eligible to have his ELC slide another year. It’s almost a guarantee the Devils would prefer that to happen unless they absolutely need Nemec.

It is likely for the best that this year is for Hughes/Bahl to settle into NHL roles. Then you have Nemec be the rookie next year so you’re not too green on the blue line.
I don’t think we’re expecting Nemec to slide anyways. Very good chance he still plays at least 10 games this year.

Reactions: Devs3cups
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad