Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
but wouldnt you be spending those assets you didnt want to for a goalie if theres a need to reevaluate?
No. Just means if we’re struggling in net we should look at things again and potentially other options. Don’t think there’s any situation where we should be spending the kind of assets it would’ve taken to acquire a goalie of Hellbuyck’s caliber. Far too risky. Especially if you’re handing out a contract like that

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Nemec is also eligible to have his ELC slide another year. It’s almost a guarantee the Devils would prefer that to happen unless they absolutely need Nemec.

It is likely for the best that this year is for Hughes/Bahl to settle into NHL roles. Then you have Nemec be the rookie next year so you’re not too green on the blue line.

I rather the Devils be able to sign Nemec to an extension in 2 seasons than 3 when it will be even more expensive to sign him long term. The Devils would have to be pretty lucky injury wise for Nemec not to burn his ELC anyway but honestly it would surprise me if he isn't a regular by the end of the year. He's better than Smith and Miller and I think once he gets in the lineup it would be hard to take him out. And for development reasons you could easily argue facing NHL talent in a 3rd pair role and practicing against NHLers would be better for someone as advanced as he is than the AHL.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the plan is to (probably) insert Nemec at some point later in the year, and that he (probably) starts next year in the NHL. Kind of like what we did with Luke last year and this year. Though Nemec can come up at any time since he isn’t in college.

Luke isn’t much older than him, but he is a development/draft age year older.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
Miller and Smith are done after this year. You keep one as a 7th D and make Nemec full time next year. It makes the most sense with him even though imo he looks more complete than Luke Hughes so... maybe it should be the other way around who knows.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

No surprises in the official announcement. Foote and Kinkaid's injuries made everything pretty simple. What does Utica do with Daws injured and Schmid in the NHL?

Utica has Kallgren and Poulter. And Brennan in the ECHL. If anything they have a logjam especially when Daws comes back.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

No surprises in the official announcement. Foote and Kinkaid's injuries made everything pretty simple. What does Utica do with Daws injured and Schmid in the NHL?

Kallgren is in Utica.

Utica is no worse off than they were going to be coming into, as Kinkaid was never going to play there anyway. He’s going to Chicago of the AHL if he’s not on our NHL roster.

Reactions: My3Sons

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I guess they want to carry Tierney as a 13th forward. The guy has been pretty much an NHL regular the last few years and should be hungry to stay there and get an additional contract next year. I'm glad he made the team to start the year.

Holtz will be getting his shot , hopefully Ruff doesn't have him on a short leash and mess with his confidence. He needs to make a statement this year and show that he can contribute for the big club.

I'm a little disappointed that Brennan is starting in the ECHL. Another year in the WHL would of been good for him if he was still eligible. Let's see what he can do there , could maybe force his way to Utica. His junior numbers aren't anything crazy but he's a decent goalie prospect so it's not like it's criminal he is going to start his pro career in the ECHL.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I guess they want to carry Tierney as a 13th forward. The guy has been pretty much an NHL regular the last few years and should be hungry to stay there and get an additional contract next year. I'm glad he made the team to start the year.

Holtz will be getting his shot , hopefully Ruff doesn't have him on a short leash and mess with his confidence. He needs to make a statement this year and show that he can contribute for the big club.

I'm a little disappointed that Brennan is starting in the ECHL. Another year in the WHL would of been good for him if he was still eligible. Let's see what he can do there , could maybe force his way to Utica. His junior numbers aren't anything crazy but he's a decent goalie prospect so it's not like it's criminal he is going to start his pro career in the ECHL.

Teams almost always want goalies in their system ASAP. The ECHL is likely much better for Brennan than the WHL - he can maybe get in a few games in the AHL too while establishing himself as a professional. When they signed him this spring, this was the most likely outcome, as he hasn't been a star so far in the W.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Wow, only the 6th now. Where does the time go

1696904299241.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4