Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Have an interesting question for anyone that might know.

Read somewhere that injured players can’t be assigned to the AHL or anything hence why guys like Kinkaid and Halonen haven’t been sent down.

So does that mean getting injured like they have is a big financial benefit for players like Kinkaid or especially Halonen?

Halonen has never made big bucks and his salary is $832,500 at the NHL level and only $80,000 at the AHL level.

Given that, if he can’t be sent down while injured, is he making significantly more money on the NHL IR than if he was healthy and down with Utica?

Reactions: Nubmer6

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Miller is going to be with the club. Nosek too.

Neither one of them is getting waived.
Too late to do it before opening roster anyways.

Could see a small chance of Miller being waived at some point later this season if he’s still struggling and Nemec won a spot. But ya, for now he’s sticking around.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Have an interesting question for anyone that might know.

Read somewhere that injured players can’t be assigned to the AHL or anything hence why guys like Kinkaid and Halonen haven’t been sent down.

So does that mean getting injured like they have is a big financial benefit for players like Kinkaid or especially Halonen?

Halonen has never made big bucks and his salary is $832,500 at the NHL level and only $80,000 at the AHL level.

Given that, if he can’t be sent down while injured, is he making significantly more money on the NHL IR than if he was healthy and down with Utica?
Yes, I believe so. They receive the NHL salary as long as they’re on IR.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Nice. Good for them. If I was a guy like Halonen who’s never gonna make NHL money I’d be tempted to just milk that injury for an extra week or two.
Specific language for that from the CBA:

“13.6 Disabled Player Loan to Minor Leagues.

A Player who is otherwise required to clear Regular Waivers and who becomes disabled while on an NHL roster can be placed on Regular Waivers and be Loaned to a minor league club prior to appropriate medical clearance being granted only if the Player was on NHL Recall at the time he becomes disabled and has not played ten (10) NHL Games (cumulative) or remained on the NHL roster for thirty (30) days (cumulative) since his Recall. The Player shall receive his Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and benefits until appropriate medical clearance is granted. All other Players may not be Loaned until appropriate medical clearance is granted.

A Player who is otherwise required to clear Regular Waivers who becomes disabled during Training Camp must clear Regular Waivers if he remains on an NHL roster for thirty (30) days (cumulative) during his disability or if he plays ten (10) NHL Games (cumulative) before being Loaned to a minor league club.

The Player's days on the roster while disabled and NHL Games played following such disability count towards the Waiver expiration provision of Section 13.5.”

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Nice. Good for them. If I was a guy like Halonen who’s never gonna make NHL money I’d be tempted to just milk that injury for an extra week or two.
1696870565368.png

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Specific language for that from the CBA:

“13.6 Disabled Player Loan to Minor Leagues.

A Player who is otherwise required to clear Regular Waivers and who becomes disabled while on an NHL roster can be placed on Regular Waivers and be Loaned to a minor league club prior to appropriate medical clearance being granted only if the Player was on NHL Recall at the time he becomes disabled and has not played ten (10) NHL Games (cumulative) or remained on the NHL roster for thirty (30) days (cumulative) since his Recall. The Player shall receive his Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and benefits until appropriate medical clearance is granted. All other Players may not be Loaned until appropriate medical clearance is granted.

A Player who is otherwise required to clear Regular Waivers who becomes disabled during Training Camp must clear Regular Waivers if he remains on an NHL roster for thirty (30) days (cumulative) during his disability or if he plays ten (10) NHL Games (cumulative) before being Loaned to a minor league club.

The Player's days on the roster while disabled and NHL Games played following such disability count towards the Waiver expiration provision of Section 13.5.”
Ah so he could just be sent back if I’m understanding that right. But as far as we know he hasn’t been.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
With how mediocre Smith/Miller looked in pre-season, I wonder if you keep them on the sidelines to start and spread the wealth defensively.

Bahl - Hamilton
Hughes - Marino
Siegenthaler - Nemec

More than likely you might put Hughes - Nemec together and shelter them at some point, but if you’re picking our best six defenders after pre-season, it has to be those six.

I could definitely see Smith making it into the starting 6 though at the expense of Nemec, just to have another vet in the line-up.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
With how mediocre Smith/Miller looked in pre-season, I wonder if you keep them on the sidelines to start and spread the wealth defensively.

Bahl - Hamilton
Hughes - Marino
Siegenthaler - Nemec

More than likely you might put Hughes - Nemec together and shelter them at some point, but if you’re picking our best six defenders after pre-season, it has to be those six.

I could definitely see Smith making it into the starting 6 though at the expense of Nemec, just to have another vet in the line-up.
The lines in practice are what we’ll probably start with. Hughes and Smith 3rd pair. Most likely Nemec is sent down even though I’d prefer he wasn’t.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

Bahl - Hamilton
Hughes - Marino
Siegenthaler - Nemec

I doubt they'd give Bahl 1st pair minutes right out of the gate. If they keep Nemec I could see:

Siegs - Dougie
Luke - Marino
Bahl - Nemec

But I also think people need to be more patient with Miller. The guy is learning a new system and I see no reason why he couldn't be a perfectly adequate 3rd pairing guy with more time to adjust:

Siegs - Dougie
Bahl - Marino
Luke - Miller

You can always put Smith instead of Miller here.

With that said though, I have no problem with any outcome for Simon. In any case, he'll be back soon if he goes down. I have no doubt he'll be better than Smith/Miller before the end of the season, he probably already is.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I doubt they'd give Bahl 1st pair minutes right out of the gate. If they keep Nemec I could see:

Siegs - Dougie
Luke - Marino
Bahl - Nemec

But I also think people need to be more patient with Miller. The guy is learning a new system and I see no reason why he couldn't be a perfectly adequate 3rd pairing guy with more time to adjust:

Siegs - Dougie
Bahl - Marino
Luke - Miller

With that said though, I have no problem with any outcome for Simon. In any case, he'll be back soon if he goes down. I have no doubt he'll be better than Smith/Miller before the end of the season, he probably already is.
Seems like they’re running the second one with Smith instead of Miller

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY

Siegs - Dougie
Luke - Marino
Bahl - Nemec

Siegs - Dougie
Bahl - Marino
Luke - Miller

Yeah Miller was legitimately good (for his role) most of last year. some adjustment time is understandable, the Devils defensive system is a little wonky.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

Siegs - Dougie
Luke - Marino
Bahl - Nemec

Siegs - Dougie
Bahl - Marino
Luke - Miller

Agreed, there's no way Bahl is going to be on the top pairing, especially not if that means he will be paired with a gunslinger like Hamilton. That pairing needs Siegenthaler to stabilize things when Dougie goes on adventures.

I think he and Luke will swap back and forth between the middle and bottom pairings depending on game situations. You throw Luke-Marino out there when you want offense, and Bahl-Marino when you need to shut it down late with a lead.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
He could but he’d still get paid at the NHL rate until he can play if I read correctly. To prevent NHL dudes from just getting dumped to the minors to save a few bucks, I suspect.

I didn't read it that way. I read that players who are specifically recalled from the minors get paid at an NHL rate if they get injured during the season, but nothing about players injured during training camp. My guess is that no, they are not paid like they are in the NHL, but I don't have time to root through the CBA or the player contract to see where that language is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad