Confirmed with Link: Devils Sign RW Wayne Simmonds (1 Yr., $5,000,000)

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Boatload of cap space, 5 million for 1 year is fine. IF he can regain a fraction of his form prior to this past season, it's a great deal. If he sucks, you don't have to worry about it ever again

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
he was absolute trash last year

at the end of the day, you can't really hate any 1 year deal but if you're expecting him to be in the top 6, I think you're in for a rude awakening
He will most deff be bounced around the lineup and get top 6 minutes at some point. With injuries and line juggling he will get a look there.

Reactions: Nubmer6

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
This is a perfect deal for the Devils. If Boqvist is ready you can movie him up or down the lineup. He is a player type the Devils needed. If he does well, he can move on to greener pastures and the Devils free up cap space.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Well the fact he was a Flyer for one, the fact he’s a power forward over 30 coming off a bad year is another, especially for this board.

But I get the logic and term is ideal. We needed a guy with snarl to protect the kids
This is the perfect scenario for him, you know he's a proud hockey player so he's going to be motivated to redeem himself, so there is that, and then you got him playing on a rival of his last team (17 games in Nashville don't count), I think this is one of those small moves that by Xmas time everyone will be loving.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
We have a lot of rotating wingers in the top 9. Bratts ability to play either side, and zachas ability to center and wing, allows us to slide pieces around. Simmonds will be middle 6ing for us which is great for depth.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Top 6 without context means nothing...

This team is probably going to end up rolling 4 lines with the 2nd and 3rd lines being interchangeable in terms of skill. So, idk what the heck some of you are even arguing about regarding Simmonds in the top 6.

Guy is gonna play 15min a night including the PP time. Simple.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
He'll be paired with Hughes on the second line. They got him for Hughes I'm fairly certain, which is a great move
I have a hard time seeing this being the case. He has not been good 5on5 for a while now and is clearly on the decline. I wouldn't want him above the 3rd line personally and would be shocked if he gets a 2nd line role.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This move checks boxes for Shero beyond what Simmonds brings to the ice this upcoming season. It's another name for another veteran with heart to interest Hall. But, it's only for a year so if Hall leaves NJ isn't stuck with him. This is still a move you make regardless of what Hall decides so even if made to appease Hall on some level it's fine. As noted, if the team stinks and moves Hall they can still flip Simmonds at the TDL.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
To me, you put Simmonds with Hall and see if that works. It probably won't, but maybe it will. I don't want Simmonds with Hughes - neither guy is likely to drive play which leaves a lot to the LW on the line (unless that's Hall).

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
He also had a bunch of concurrent injuries, which I'm sure further negatively effected each other.

So can either A) point to him breaking down or B) something he has to get fixed, and he can bounce back.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
this singing to me was so obvious he fills a position of need and a type of player they need. whether or not he scores a ton is almost doesn't matter. if he can play rugged and stay healthy and open up some room out there than great..

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
This move checks boxes for Shero beyond what Simmonds brings to the ice this upcoming season. It's another name for another veteran with heart to interest Hall. But, it's only for a year so if Hall leaves NJ isn't stuck with him. This is still a move you make regardless of what Hall decides so even if made to appease Hall on some level it's fine. As noted, if the team stinks and moves Hall they can still flip Simmonds at the TDL.

I know Hall wants to win etc. but not sure you can pick and choose franchises that will succeed. the devils have done everything to make this team stronger if Hall cannot see that they are on the right path than whatever... he is supposed to be the guy that brings them there.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad