Confirmed with Link: Devils Sign RW Wayne Simmonds (1 Yr., $5,000,000)

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
It's hard to say a guy who pencils Henrique as his 1C is totally against kids. I get that Zajac was injured but it could have easily been someone else in that slot. It was more of a stylistic thing. Perimeter players like Josefson didn't fare well.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Y'all want some **** to mull?

Sutter and his use of Madden-Pandolfo

Blurrrhhhhhhghhhhh
They were shot even before Sutter got here.

Not completely shot, as in non-NHL players, but by 06-07, they really couldn't shut down top lines anymore. Although Pandolfo was pretty much completely shot by 08-09 or 09-10 at the very latest. I'm not sure how he played in the NHL again after his time with us was up, let alone for two different NHL teams. He did sit out of the NHL for a whole year after we bought him out though, only playing part of an AHL season.

Reactions: Dialamo

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Fans want the team to have no players over 24 and everyone on ELCS. Every coach plays the veterans too much in the eyes of fans.

I think it is a context issue. NJ was building and developing for most of the past four seasons. They had the one playoff season where it made sense to play vets into the ground and in all tight spots. In other seasons you have to offer a few opportunities for the young players to work through tough or important minutes. I thought last season he did a decent job of balancing the roster, but his job was made much easier by the fact that at some point, he was just walking around the building to make sure he even had 12 forwards and 6 defenders who weren't in the ICU.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I feel like I've heard the "isn't good with kids" and "defers too much to veterans" complaints about every Devils coach in like the last decade.

Reactions: Billdo

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
DeBoer was atrocious with rookies outside of Henrique. I'm admittedly a Hynes fan, but you can't make a legitimate argument that he isn't fair to young players. Butcher, Bratt, Nico, Blackwood, Seney, Anderson, Lappin, and even guys like Speers have been given legitimate chances.

To be fair, the team is in a very different situation when DeBoer was here compared to Hynes time here. The team was in compete mode and already had little room for experimentation and error when DeBoer was here. Whether he should have used younger players more often has been debated and doesn't warrant much further because there won't be much more constructive conversation than already has been had on that subject.

Under Hynes, the team has been looking to grow and build with plenty of room for experimentation and error in the sense that more risk and longer leashes will be put forth with younger players.

What I've liked about Hynes is that he has held everybody accountable and to similar standards no matter their time spent in the league. That could be as a result of them being able to afford to do so because of the aforementioned mode of the organization looking to build something and wanting to find what they have in players and if they will buy in or if that is actually his philosophy when a team he has is competitive also, is something we don't know just yet.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It's hard to say a guy who pencils Henrique as his 1C is totally against kids. I get that Zajac was injured but it could have easily been someone else in that slot. It was more of a stylistic thing. Perimeter players like Josefson didn't fare well.
When Henrique was called up he started on the 3rd line with Clarkson. It took him 7-8 games to earn a spot on a higher line

Reactions: TheDuke93

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
DeBoer was atrocious with rookies outside of Henrique. I'm admittedly a Hynes fan, but you can't make a legitimate argument that he isn't fair to young players. Butcher, Bratt, Nico, Blackwood, Seney, Anderson, Lappin, and even guys like Speers have been given legitimate chances.
Seney and Anderson especially got huge chances last year that they might not have gotten under another coach.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Seney and Anderson especially got huge chances last year that they might not have gotten under another coach.
Whose is in charge of the call ups for this organization? Anderson and Seney both looked good to me at times last year but they should have been in the ahl logging big minutes developing their offense. Them having to scrap around in the bottom 6 is ok if they are ready to take the next step from the AHL or if the big club is injury depleted. There was alot of kids making their NHL debuts last season which is cool to see but makes me question our staffs patience with developing some players. I know we were extremely banged up towards the end of the year so that played a big part.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That was dreadful, but for most of that season we killed that line combo, but Sutter panicked after a late season slump.

Lou and Mac chasing that line matchup in 2007 vs Ottawa was also a killer.
That's the year it became clear to me that their days of shutting down top lines were over.

It wasn't just that series, they were poor at it in the regular season too. They were well past their expiration date as ''Shutdown'' forwards by the time that Carolina series happened in 2009, when Sutter sold out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->