Confirmed with Link: Devils Sign RW Wayne Simmonds (1 Yr., $5,000,000)

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Never in a million years would I have thought we could get him for just 1 year. Shoot first, net front, right shot gritty guy is EXACTLY what we need. Not handing out ridiculous term is just outstanding.

Agreed. Its the perfect type of signing for us. He still has to play well, of course, and that's far from a guarantee, but yeah, 1 year is outstanding. No long term ramifications and he fills a perfect need.

Reactions: Billdo and Nubmer6

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
TSN stating over the last five years, only Ovechkin and Stamkos have more PP goals than Simmonds.

We've needed a consistent net front presence, hopefully he can provide that.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Hard to hate a 1 year deal. We'll see how much he has left in the tank, but he'll probably take over Boyle's role as the obligatory net front presence on the PP.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
It's a good show-me contract, to see if he's really shot. I would have loved this just 2 years ago.

At least we get a tough, physical player to help add grit to our team, but who also isn't Cam Janssen (i do miss cam). Maybe he bounces back to his normal 30-30 levels. I'll be ok if gets 20 and shows his heart.

Welcomes to the team Wayne.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Brillo.gif

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Love it. Money is meaningless, so if he's garbage then he's garbage and he's gone next year. If he's not we're either good and we have him for the playoffs, or we're bad and he's a pick.

Reactions: Khione

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i dont think anyone can say this team won't be fun to watch this year thats for sure

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Got a guy for our PP but I seriously hope he does not sniff top 6 minutes. 3rd or 4th line RW role with PP time is what I'd see for him. On a 1 year commitment, I don't really have too much of an issue, but I think that is significantly more than he is worth.
He'll be paired with Hughes on the second line. They got him for Hughes I'm fairly certain, which is a great move

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Provided Hynes uses him correctly - PP1 time, but not a top 6 RW, this will be fine. He shouldn't be playing significant minutes at even strength.

If Hynes understands that, I think it's fine.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Simmonds had an insane list of injuries at the end of the 17-18 season. Like abdominal and pelvic surgery all in one off season if I remember correctly. A full off season of training while healthy could (hopefully) call for a pretty big bounce back year. Smart no risk deal.
This. You guys will love him. If he didn't play hurt all year last year he would have gotten paid 7.5-8 given the Skinner and Hayes contracts. Ultimate team player

Reactions: nugg

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I mean, 1 year is whatever. I'd rather give that spot to a kid. But this doesn't hurt our cap and worst case scenario he gets flipped at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad