Confirmed with Link: Devils Sign RW Wayne Simmonds (1 Yr., $5,000,000)

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
Provided Hynes uses him correctly - PP1 time, but not a top 6 RW, this will be fine. He shouldn't be playing significant minutes at even strength.

If Hynes understands that, I think it's fine.

I think that Hynes can test how he is doing in top6 and if it is not working so then Hynes can drop him to bottom 6?

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
It's a good show-me contract, to see if he's really shot. I would have loved this just 2 years ago.

At least we get a tough, physical player to help add grit to our team, but who also isn't Cam Janssen (i do miss cam). Maybe he bounces back to his normal 30-30 levels. I'll be ok if gets 20 and shows his heart.

Welcomes to the team Wayne.

Cam was like a pain in the f***ing ass dog. Loveable but a complete shit.

I saw him play in the UK, he was shit here too.

Reactions: SeidoN

Ryan Pat80

Mar 16, 2019
Colorado Springs
Good signing IMO. I believe the Avs were linked to him, but with term. This is a low risk, high reward signing. Good veteran presence for the kids, especially if he returns even somewhat to form.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I don't know why so many have a low opinion of this guy, for a 4-year period he avg 30 goals a season for Philly and wasn't too long ago and he's a tough son of a bitch to play against. I love this signing.

Reactions: Devilsfan2326

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Back in 2016, I was at a bar in Nashville and the Flyers showed up because they had a game the next day. I was in my Devils jersey and chatted Wayne up for a bit. He was so nice even though I was wearing a rival team jersey. I was really impressed and have always liked him even when he'd be beating up our players haha.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don't know why so many have a low opinion of this guy, for a 4-year period he avg 30 goals a season for Philly and wasn't too long ago and he's a tough son of a ***** to play against. I love this signing.
Ex-Flyer bias :sarcasm:

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Simmonds was very close to DSP when he was here. I bet he knows a lot about the organization from hearsay.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He may not be the same player but he fits well for the Devils.

He’s going to be opposite either Hall - Hischier, Bratt - Hughes, Coleman - Zajac, or Wood - Rooney/Seney/Zacha.

All of our LW and C are play drivers, creators, or just guys that cause havoc. Unless he’s completely shot, he should be able to reap the rewards of one of those combos.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
KPEhLYj.gif

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't know why so many have a low opinion of this guy, for a 4-year period he avg 30 goals a season for Philly and wasn't too long ago and he's a tough son of a ***** to play against. I love this signing.

he was absolute trash last year

at the end of the day, you can't really hate any 1 year deal but if you're expecting him to be in the top 6, I think you're in for a rude awakening

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Well the fact he was a Flyer for one, the fact he’s a power forward over 30 coming off a bad year is another, especially for this board.

But I get the logic and term is ideal. We needed a guy with snarl to protect the kids

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
I am not hugely confident on Simmonds having a big bounce back year, but impossible to complain about a one year contract given how much cap space we have. It's a worthy gamble. If nothing else I've always really liked him, so glad to have in on our team rather than the Flyers.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
he was absolute trash last year

at the end of the day, you can't really hate any 1 year deal but if you're expecting him to be in the top 6, I think you're in for a rude awakening
I thought he was playing hurt. I really think he fills a need in the top 6. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I really think he'll be a nice fit with Hughes and Bratt.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Only concern with Simmonds is injuries. He plays reckless and gets hurt alot. In 2018, he had suffered 2 or 3 debilitating lower body injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad