GDT: Devils @ Red Wings - 7:30 EST - FSD: You call this a tank? Edition

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Where was this f***ing team in October?!

As always, nice to see the ones stirring the drink are the ones we want stirring the drink.

Just frustrating to have to sit through an entire season of a bottom 3 NHL team only to have them string together a meaningless hot streak to end up with a pick outside the top 5.

Reactions: ZDH

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
What happened to all the guys who wanted to trade AA to Edmonton for like a 3rd round pick and some 4th liner to make the money even?
Thankfully, the organisation, like many of us, knew that they were wrong. You don't give up on a kid with that much raw talent unless you are getting something very interesting back.

People forget how young these guys are. Someone can be lacking in focus or arrogant or lacking in confidence at 21/22/23 and be a totally different person at 25/26.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
No no, this year is fine. We got Larkin for a bargain new contract, and I’m very happy about that!

Well obviously we're never going to agree on the tanking thing but yeah that contract is gonna be beautiful especially if he plays like this on a regular basis and the rest of the team can get their shit together

Well at least AA got his 30th. Nice to see. Man NJ sucks though.

Yeah, they really do. I honestly didn't think they were this bad though

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
AA with 30???

I've been a huge fan of his since he broke into the league, but I'd have laughed at you if you told me he would be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL this year. You have to give him credit. He's not perfect, he is inconsistent, he makes questionable plays at times and takes games off here and there, but 30 goals in the NHL is not easy to do. Congratulations to him. I think he caries this into next year.

Also Bertuzzi is such a beauty. All of a sudden he has impressive numbers as well and should hit 20. I know I am getting way ahead of myself here but......if these guys play like this next year, could we actually maybe content for the playoffs???

Reactions: Sentinel and KJoe88

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Well obviously we're never going to agree on the tanking thing but yeah that contract is gonna be beautiful especially if he plays like this on a regular basis and the rest of the team can get their **** together

Like I said a while back in this thread, we are getting to the point where we are arguing over 4% and potentially falling extra position. I think it’s time to just stop talking about the pro/anti tank discussion because it’s semantics based at this point. I’m not going to fully get on board, but I’m also not going to give shit to anyone.

I’m going to get back to how I watched this team all year long. I’m going to watch and cheer for the kids to do their thing, win or lose. If they manage to come out with a loss, that’s a nice little perk, and if they manage to pull out a win, so be it.

Reactions: RedMenace
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Well obviously we're never going to agree on the tanking thing but yeah that contract is gonna be beautiful especially if he plays like this on a regular basis and the rest of the team can get their **** together

Yeah, they really do. I honestly didn't think they were this bad though

Looks like Hall really did deserve the Hart last year.

Reactions: Sentinel
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Like I said a while back in this thread, we are getting to the point where we are arguing over 4% and potentially falling extra position. I think it’s time to just stop talking about the pro/anti tank discussion because it’s semantics based at this point. I’m not going to fully get on board, but I’m also not going to give **** to anyone.

I’m going to get back to how I watched this team all year long. I’m going to watch and cheer for the kids to do their thing, win or lose. If they manage to come out with a loss, that’s a nice little perk, and if they manage to pull out a win, so be it.

Right. After Hughes and Kakko the next 8 picks are wide open anyways. Obviously I'd love to get lucky and win the lottery, but at this point picking 5th as opposed to 3rd isn't really a big deal. You have the big 2 and then a group of really good players. But nobody out of Cozens, Byram, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Zegras, Boldy, Dach, Krebs are really separating themselves from the rest.

At this point, I'm really hoping we get Turcotte or Byram.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
14 games in March for Athanasiou, all of which have been at center (I believe this was the point he switched full time).

He has produced...
8 goals, 3 assists in around 19 minutes of ice time. Winning consistently over half his face offs. It’s time to start viewing him as the 2C of the future.

Yes, we could absolutely replace him with a more complete center, but he’s actually doing it at a high level right now, and he shouldn’t relinquish it unless someone is going to pry it out of his grip.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Right. After Hughes and Kakko the next 8 picks are wide open anyways. Obviously I'd love to get lucky and win the lottery, but at this point picking 5th as opposed to 3rd isn't really a big deal. You have the big 2 and then a group of really good players. But nobody out of Cozens, Byram, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Zegras, Boldy, Dach, Krebs are really separating themselves from the rest.

At this point, I'm really hoping we get Turcotte or Byram.

I’m often actively looking for reasons to change my mind on prospects because it means there’s a need or opportunity in the available prospects. Presently I’m really looking at Zegras because of how dynamic his skill is as a playmaker. It’s the one thing I think we don’t really have is that guy who can put up 50+ assists consistently and be the man truly QBing the power play from the half wall.

Still have Turcotte and Byram at the top of the second group, but everybody outside of the top 4 is constantly evolving.

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
It's going to be interesting to see what happens to Svech next season. He's out of options, right? Has to join the big club?

From earlier this afternoon:

Evgeny Svechnikov won't play in Grand Rapids. That helps Detroit Red Wings
General manager Ken Holland told the Free Press on Friday that the Wings don’t expect Svechnikov to play this season. There's one big benefit of him missing what would have been his third season of pro hockey: The Wings can send him to Grand Rapids next season without waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad