Confirmed with Link: Devils re-sign Erik Haula (3 yrs, $9.4 million total)

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Means Tatar is gone, Graves is gone. We could theoretically get everybody else in, depending on how the RFA numbers shake out, if we don't pick up any outside players and roll Vitek + Schmid + cheap backup.

I never really thought they'd bring back Graves. There's still definitely room for Tatar I just don't think they do it. Even after the RFA signings we should have like 7-8ish mil. It's not like we're going to be tight against the cap. There's still room to bring in at least 1 forward and a 3RD.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Thought he'd be around $3.5M AAV so It comes in a bit less than I was expecting. Either way It's a good deal for a guy that is a great roster fit and can fill in up and down the lineup in case of injury.

Yeah, I said early on I expected it would be over 3m but the higher it got over 3m the less warm and fuzzy I would feel about it. (This is in no way a claim about guessing his deal, I was reasonably vague lol.)

I knew some people were hoping his public declarations of wanting to stay meant he agreed to be human trafficked by Fitz, and he was going to take a deal with little term and a very minor raise.

But he was already dirt cheap, due to a bit of dip in production while being shipped around and signing with the tight-fisted Boston early in the frozen cap era.

Despite his brutal cold streak he performed well on his bargain 2 year/2.375m deal. He was projected at 3.5m. He wasn’t going to get a raise of a few 100k with the cap going up.

I’m not thrilled with a 3 year term, but again, he’s still a UFA and getting any sort break on the price is very helpful. There aren’t many centers on the market and we have no depth at that position.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
How does this affect the rest of our guys who need to be signed? I'm not sure of the exact cap numbers, but I get the feeling that this means that Tatar and probably Graves almost certainly won't be back, and that it is somewhat more likely that one of Shara or Boqvist will get traded.

Maybe we have more space than I think though.

We will still have quite a bit of space. I think Yegor's the one that gets moved and Boqvist stays. We could definitely still keep Yegor and not even be tight against the cap but I don't see the fit here. After trading Yegor and re-signing everyone we'll still have like 7-8 mil with 11F, 6D, and 2G. I think we'll end up adding one F (I'd like to squeeze in 2) and 1D. Then the last F spots end up being ELC guys and if Nemec makes the team then Smith goes down.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yeah, I said early on I expected it would be over 3m but the higher it got over 3m the less warm and fuzzy I would feel about it. (This is in no way a claim about guessing his deal, I was reasonably vague lol.)

I knew some people on this board assumed his public declarations of wanting to stay meant he agreed to be human trafficked by Fitz, and was going to take a deal with little term and a very minor raise.

That was in fact not realistic or fair.

He was already dirt cheap, due to a bit of dip in production while being shipped around and signing with the tight-fisted Boston early in the frozen cap era.

Despite his brutal cold streak he performed well on his bargain 2 year/2.375m deal. He was projected at 3.5m. He wasn’t going to get a raise of a few 100k with the cap going up.

I’m not thrilled with a 3 year term, but again, he’s still a UFA and getting any sort break on the price is very helpful. There aren’t many centers on the market and we have no depth at that position.

I'm curious what Staal gets. If he's like 3.5x2 or something I'd have preferred that. A little higher on the money but a shorter term for a better player (he'll be 35 so maybe year 2 could be rough though like year 3 could be here).

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I never really thought they'd bring back Graves. There's still definitely room for Tatar I just don't think they do it. Even after the RFA signings we should have like 7-8ish mil. It's not like we're going to be tight against the cap. There's still room to bring in at least 1 forward and a 3RD.
There’s room for Tatar or another forward around 3-4 million.

Tatar is going to meet the unfortunate fate of being an undersized forward on a team with a core that is a bit more undersized. Even though they might not be a strong play driver like he is, I think the Devils would prefer to swap him out for a player like J. Staal or O’Reilly, etc.

Just makes way more sense given the makeup of this team.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i think the average could’ve been lower considering we gave him 3 years, he got some ntc shit, he clearly wanted to stay here, and he literally threw his stick to a teammate one time. but, you know, intangibles and all that. i’m not going to quibble over $750k. he’s a solid guy to have around

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
There’s room for Tatar or another forward around 3-4 million.

Tatar is going to meet the unfortunate fate of being an undersized forward on a team with a core that is a bit more undersized. Even though they might not be a strong play driver like he is, I think the Devils would prefer to swap him out for a player like J. Staal or O’Reilly, etc.

Just makes way more sense given the makeup of this team.

I think RoR could get a pretty stupid contract. Depending the price I'd like to add Toffoli or Debrusk if Boston's moving him. Could definitely too much though since they're both so cheap. I do want a top 6er. The UFA market is bare though too. Bunting probably gets a stupid deal. I think a guy like ERod could get a somewhat reasonable deal but he's also on the smaller end so I doubt we go there. For the bottom 6 I like Staal, Fast, Engvall, Suter, Brown.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm curious what Staal gets. If he's like 3.5x2 or something I'd have preferred that. A little higher on the money but a shorter term for a better player (he'll be 35 so maybe year 2 could be rough though like year 3 could be here).
I don't think there's any chance Jordan Staal is leaving Carolina. He'll just sign there for whatever cap hit works for the team, but is still respectable.

Haula's deal is fair. I expected something around $3M AAV, was just hoping it would be two years. But he is a versatile guy for them.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don't think there's any chance Jordan Staal is leaving Carolina. He'll just sign there for whatever cap hit works for the team, but is still respectable.

Haula's deal is fair. I expected something around $3M AAV, was just hoping it would be two years. But he is a versatile guy for them.

We'll see. Rumor was yesterday Staal's offered them multiple options but Dundon isn't budging.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
i think the average could’ve been lower considering we gave him 3 years, he got some ntc shit, he clearly wanted to stay here, and he literally threw his stick to a teammate one time. but, you know, intangibles and all that. i’m not going to quibble over $750k. he’s a solid guy to have around

Lmao, I forgot about that.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I think we’ll be tighter than that after RFA, and I presume we’ll want some cap space going into the season as well.

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
I'm really happy to have Haula back. Having a veteran who can play in all situations and anywhere up and down the lineup is really so valuable, especially with a young team.

Devils definitely got the AAV down in return for the 3rd year and NTC. I think some here were deluding themselves when they thought he'd sign back in NJ for 2yr, 2.5 AAV.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I'm sure he's thrilled to settle down a bit in terms of years, he's been with 7 different teams in the past 8 seasons. I know professional sports involves moving around but that's still a ridiculous amount of moving around in that time frame.

With Haula signing for three years and with a full NTC for two of them, I'd say Mike Sillinger's record is probably safe for a while longer.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Looking at capfriendly, I forgot that next year we have 2.35 coming off the Schneider and Kuok buyouts. That extra cash is Yuuuuge. Still two years left of #17’s recapture though
You figure that money will help subsidize Mercer. If the cap rises by say $3 mil next season and you have the roughly $1 mil he’s making now and then that extra $2.3 there is the Mercer extension more or less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad