Confirmed with Link: Devils re-sign Erik Haula (3 yrs, $9.4 million total)

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I've never wanted to bottle a gif and inject it straight ...

Super glad to have him back. The stirrer baby!

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
There isn't a flat cap, everyone is going to press themselves up to this year's cap as much as possible because next year they get relief. Haula can play every forward position and in every situation - teams pay for that. He would've gotten more.
Pedantry doesn't suit you. The cap went up $1m. A guy without a cup seemingly wants to sign with a contender, how many contenders are out there waiting in line to give a 32 year old 3rd liner $3.5+ over 3 years?

I'm not losing my mind over the contract. We've just heard repeated ad nauseum since the season ended "I told my agent to get something done, I don't want to leave", so you start to assume that means a team-friendly deal. This doesn't seem team friendly. It seems like market value for a UFA.

Reactions: longislanddevil

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Pedantry doesn't suit you. The cap went up $1m. A guy without a cup seemingly wants to sign with a contender, how many contenders are out there waiting in line to give a 32 year old 3rd liner $3.5+ over 3 years?

I'm not losing my mind over the contract. We've just heard repeated ad nauseum since the season ended "I told my agent to get something done, I don't want to leave", so you start to assume that means a team-friendly deal. This doesn't seem team friendly. It seems like market value for a UFA.

I'm not being pedantic - I'm citing the simple fact that we know that in 2024-25, the cap is going to rise by a lot. Every transaction that goes beyond this year (and even some that don't) will take that into account. In 2021, this sort of skepticism makes sense because we all knew that the league was looking at least 2 years of a flat cap.

I think you are underestimating how bad the free agent market is and how much certain teams have to spend. I also think you are underselling Haula as a 3rd liner - he played 16 minutes a game last season. He really did not play a 3rd line role for NJ, and even if he did, he killed penalties and played on PP2. It's a fair price.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Would he have done better on July 1? In a flat cap, who is paying a to-be 32 year old third liner more than $3.1m over 3 years coming off of a 40 point season?

I'm not throwing a tantrum but this is more than I expected by a couple million bucks over a 3 year deal.
He's coming off a solid end of the season and making a positive contribution to a team getting up off the mat to compete. Those are good qualities for a guy looking to find a stable landing spot. There is also the goal of giving guys who show some desire to be in NJ a fair contract. I'm guessing Fitz probably saw a team giving Haula $3.5 mil in UFA and considers the AAV as agreed upon fair. Having happy vets in the locker room like Haula and Palat and Dougie (to the extend Hamilton ever says anything) to help push the kids to compete sounds like a good thing.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
How does this affect the rest of our guys who need to be signed? I'm not sure of the exact cap numbers, but I get the feeling that this means that Tatar and probably Graves almost certainly won't be back, and that it is somewhat more likely that one of Shara or Boqvist will get traded.

Maybe we have more space than I think though.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
I can dig it. Would have preferred two years, but I think Haula definitely has plenty of gas left in the tank. And I think he would have been highly sought after in UFA. Someone would have gone at least 4x4 no doubt so considering how he played down the stretch and through the two playoff rounds.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
How does this affect the rest of our guys who need to be signed? I'm not sure of the exact cap numbers, but I get the feeling that this means that Tatar and probably Graves almost certainly won't be back, and that it is somewhat more likely that one of Shara or Boqvist will get traded.

Maybe we have more space than I think though.
Means Tatar is gone, Graves is gone. We could theoretically get everybody else in, depending on how the RFA numbers shake out, if we don't pick up any outside players and roll Vitek + Schmid + cheap backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad