Confirmed with Link: Devils re-sign Erik Haula (3 yrs, $9.4 million total)

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Fair deal - glad to see Haula return and have some stability. Seems like he really meshed well with this group and is a veteran leader that's made it to the playoffs every single season and wants to win. He'll be 35 by the end of the deal, so a bit of concern on that 3rd year, but even if his play drops he'd be easy to move. Curious to see what kind of no trade protection he got - would imagine it might be rather limited.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
He would have done better in UFA.
probably by a good amount, even despite his being snake bitten for like 70 games. He’s been a pretty consistent 15-goal, 40 point guy despite minimal PP time. And he can play anywhere in the lineup. I would hope the lines settle down next year and we have a killer bottom-6 where players like Haula, Palat, Shara, etc can all flirt with 20 goals. That sort of depth goes a long way over a full season, and we saw how valuable Haula and Palat can be in the playoffs. Happy to have him here as a role model for all our up and coming superstars.

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thought it would be 2 years and a slightly lower AAV but this will not break the bank. Very happy to have Haula back. Also note we have about $2,325,000 in dead cap coming off the books after the 23-24 season ends, then the Kovy recapture penalty ($250k) ends after 24-25. The cap will be rising bigly by then as well, hopefully!

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He probably could’ve gotten close to 4 million per over a two year deal on the market. Doubt he would’ve gotten 3 years, but maybe a team would’ve offered him 3.5 or somewhere around there.

Feels like this is a fair deal. Devils went the third year to lower the AAV and he probably would rather the stability after moving around so much.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Would he have done better on July 1? In a flat cap, who is paying a to-be 32 year old third liner more than $3.1m over 3 years coming off of a 40 point season?

I'm not throwing a tantrum but this is more than I expected by a couple million bucks over a 3 year deal.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Would he have done better on July 1? In a flat cap, who is paying a to-be 32 year old third liner more than $3.1m over 3 years coming off of a 40 point season?

I'm not throwing a tantrum but this is more than I expected by a couple million bucks over a 3 year deal.

There isn't a flat cap, everyone is going to press themselves up to this year's cap as much as possible because next year they get relief. Haula can play every forward position and in every situation - teams pay for that. He would've gotten more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad