GDT: Devils @ Penguins 7:00 MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Such a well needed win for the team and for us fans. I know the losing streak was just 3 games, but still the game felt like I was gonna cry regardless who won (for different reasons). The recent Blues loss, the only win in this stretch being the terrible Hawks and the upcoming games against league leading Rangers and hot Wings (;)) team, made this streak feel potentially a lot longer and darker.

Amazing game by Luke. Very happy to see Holtz score and I thought he had a good game overall. Loved seeing Mercer redeem himself in that play. Seeing Dawson mad and disappointed in himself makes me so sad. He's such a sweetheart of a person and with all the shit talking in the main boards, I really hope he gets back to the trajectory he was and lights up the league. And a great game by Vanecek, if only he could keep this up we would have no problems with goaltending. And last how can you not love Lazar! Sure he might make a mistake here and there and lacks some high end skills, but man does he always give 100%. And with that big smile on his face.

Regardless what happens against the Rangers I'm glad they are facing them in great spirits after a great performance like this.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That was probably the best 60 minute effort of the season so far. One guy stuck out like a sore thumb though – Dougie was just horrific. I don't think I have ever seen a defenseman make as many horrendous mistakes in the first 10 minutes of a game causing odd men rushes again and again. He settled down somewhat, but the penalty was bad as well and there were a couple of turnovers later on as well, especially that one pass into the skates in the third. Just bad. Miller was good though, so why not give Hamilton a day off on Saturday?
There might be a rational for giving Dougie the night off, but it aint happening.

L@k3 Hu$&5%?ghes

Luke needs to blast Butcher off our record books. Thats a little embarrassing.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
This made me sad

I did get a kick out of Palat soothing him like he was his son though. I know I, and others, often roll our eyes at the "good guy in the room" that always gets trotted out to justify bad or badly aging contracts, but I do think Palat is the perfect type of vet for this group. Hopefully he still has some Playoff Palat left in him too.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Dougie is far too important for what he can bring offensively to scratch him entirely. Cut back on his minutes like they did last night, and that should send enough of a message.

He certainly wasn’t great last night, but he made the smart and simple play to get the puck on net that lead to the 2-2 tying goal.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m slightly shocked it wasn’t Rafalski having the most rookie points for a defenseman. It felt like he scored a bunch his rookie season.

I know I must have heard that stat before and being Butcher, but I can never seem to believe it and always forget it.

Rookie Rafalski only had 32 points.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Dougie is far too important for what he can bring offensively to scratch him entirely. Cut back on his minutes like they did last night, and that should send enough of a message.

He certainly wasn’t great last night, but he made the smart and simple play to get the puck on net that lead to the 2-2 tying goal.
Put Dougie on the wing. All of a Sudden he's Tage Thompson!:laugh:

The Lazar Bazaar is in full force. That guy is such an easy player to root for. Works his ass off each game.
Never knew that when Fitz plucked him out of Vancouver he'd become this important later down the road. From last year's playoffs to present he has been.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I did get a kick out of Palat soothing him like he was his son though. I know I, and others, often roll our eyes at the "good guy in the room" that always gets trotted out to justify bad or badly aging contracts, but I do think Palat is the perfect type of vet for this group. Hopefully he still has some Playoff Palat left in him too.

I am always rooting for Palat these days. I think the rage buyout talks or posts I see on twitter are taken it way too far.

I know the goals haven't been there so far, but he's getting the assists now at least. Contract maybe a problem in two seasons but I like his game when he isn't forcing the passes. I think he is trying to force plays in absence of the stars not playing because he feels he has to make it happen.

He created that goal play for holtz by intercepting/blocking the play and rushed down to sidewall. Good anticipation to create rush and good board play.

He's the guy who immediately stood up for Nico also this season.

Last edited:

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Dougie had some rough moments, but he started the 2nd goal with a solid pinch in the neutral zone to turn the puck over. He’s not perfect and he has his weaknesses, but he’s an important player for us.
Yeah dude having a (visually) terrible game for us doesn't take away what he brings almost every other night.

Although I'm sure some folks will use this as fire in their anti-Dougie crusade.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I genuinely like most of the guys on this team for the last few seasons

Not sure about nosek yet, or miller but miller looks good in 1 game categorically better than Smith.

I don't particularly think Bastian's game is invaluable (meaning I think we could in theory upgrade him) but since he is a home drafted guy (and Mcleods buddy) I think we can keep him. Hoping he keep building off the recovery of that shoulder injury.

Hope Vitek can find a rhythm because we need him to be at least above average.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Put Dougie on the wing. All of a Sudden he's Tage Thompson!:laugh:

Never knew that when Fitz plucked him out of Vancouver he'd become this important later down the road. From last year's playoffs to present he has been.

Someone mentioned here after that 1st goal given up to put Dougie up front since we had 7 D already. Haha.

You know, that would be hilarious. It probably could work and Ruff is probably the coach that would try that.

Remember we went 6 on 5 for like 7 or 8 mins last year and we almost came back to tie the game from 2 or 3 goals down. Hughes had the puck half the time.

Ruff tries some crazy shit sometimes.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I’m slightly shocked it wasn’t Rafalski having the most rookie points for a defenseman. It felt like he scored a bunch his rookie season.

I know I must have heard that stat before and being Butcher, but I can never seem to believe it and always forget it.

Rookie Rafalski only had 32 points.
I swear his ability to get shots through to the net QBing a power play was a thing of beauty.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
lol Dougie has a bad game and people are ready to ship him off to the glue factory, ignoring that he's been arguably our most steady defenseman all season. When Marino, Siege, Bahl, and Smith were showing their asses the first 10 games of the season, Dougie and Luke were the only ones pulling their weight.

Dougie has 5 points in 5 games since Jack went down. He has 35 shot attempts in his last 5 games (!) and is #1 on the team in on-ice Corsi For, with 15 shots on goal. 6th of 19 in CF% (excluding Miller), 5th of 19 in SF%, 2nd of 19 in xGF, 2nd in HDCF, and has an xGF% of 58.11% (in the last 5 games).

Yes he has some obvious defensive warts that we will have to live with, but the vast majority of nights his positives will outweigh his negatives. It's a bad game, shit happens.

Last edited:

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
lol Dougie has a bad game and people are ready to ship him off to the glue factory, ignoring that he's been arguably our most steady defenseman all season. When Marino, Siege, Bahl, and Smith were showing their asses the first 10 games of the season, Dougie and Luke were the only ones pulling their weight.

Dougie has 5 points in 5 games since Jack went down. He has 35 shot attempts in his last 5 games (!) and is #1 on the team in on-ice Corsi For, with 15 shots on goal. 6th of 19 in CF% (excluding Miller), 5th of 19 in SF%, 2nd of 19 in xGF, 2nd in HDCF, and has an xGF% of 58.11%.

Yes he has some obvious defensive warts that we will have to live with, but the vast majority of nights his positives will outweigh his negatives. It's a bad game, shit happens.
I haven’t seen anyone doing that. Just recognition that he had a horrific game in his own end and that his contract is likely to look really bad towards the end.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Palat is 2nd on the team in CF% (behind McLeod!!) at 61.2%. 3rd on the team in xGF% at 62%. His on ice SH% is 5% and he’s been robbed a number of times. His impacts are good, it’s just not going in right now. Maybe in a couple years he’ll stink, but he certainly doesn’t now.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I haven’t seen anyone doing that. Just recognition that he had a horrific game in his own end and that his contract is likely to look really bad towards the end.

Someone suggested he sit for a game, which is a tad bit of a reach given some of the performances the rest of the defenders have put on at times this year.

He's already approaching the halfway mark of his contract, and he hasn't shown any signs of being a worse player yet. I'm not as worried about how him and his contract will age as many others are here.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Someone suggested he sit for a game, which is a tad bit of a reach given some of the performances the rest of the defenders have put on at times this year.
Yeah I saw that about making him a healthy scratch and I agree that’s not gonna help, but that’s not the same as wanting him off the team completely.
He's already approaching the halfway mark of his contract, and he hasn't shown any signs of being a worse player yet. I'm not as worried about how him and his contract will age as many others are here.
Player decline can happen quite suddenly. It’s a fine line between being a valuable player and a liability, when you already have some very apparent deficiencies. If Dougie loses even just half a step on his already below par skating speed, that could be lights out right there on its own. It happens to guys in his age range all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad