Rumor: Devils not done making moves.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Coleman is much, much more than a 4th liner. And some have a theory of Coleman on Hughes' wing.

He's a shooter and great defensively, and also plays with sand paper. Which could be perfect for Hughes, especially in his first year.
\

being too lay to look up his stats, age and history this Coleman kid was and is a pain in the a** to play against and a really good skater. Personally see him as a good 3rd/2nd liner. I'd take him all day on the Isles. Just my 2 cents. Merry Christmas all (f** the rags)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think they be after a player like Hamonic. Devils have small offensive D core..
Very unlikely Hammer is moved as we are in the same boat. Last word leaked regarding Hammer was we are trying to re-sign him.

However, Brodie is available for the right price, but it needs to be a hockey trade. He's not a guy we are just willing to dump to save cap space. Any chance the Devils could be coerced into Brodie + Frolik + a conditional pick (based on Brodie re-signing) for Palmieri?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Devils are in a good spot to offer sheet Marner, they would have a really solid core with Hughes/Hall/Hischier/Marner.

Coming off last place in the division with a very uncertain goalie situation, it would seem absurdly risky to give up 4 consecutive 1sts. Also Marner really, really wants to be in Toronto. Other than that, very good spot.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Very unlikely Hammer is moved as we are in the same boat. Last word leaked regarding Hammer was we are trying to re-sign him.

However, Brodie is available for the right price, but it needs to be a hockey trade. He's not a guy we are just willing to dump to save cap space. Any chance the Devils could be coerced into Brodie + Frolik + a conditional pick (based on Brodie re-signing) for Palmieri?

Don't know much about Brodie, but it would be tough for NJ to move Palmieri until Boqvist proves himself. The Devils only really have 3 proven scoring wingers in Hall, Bratt, and Palmieri. 4 if you count Simmonds, but I'd really put him in the "needs to prove himself" box because of his injury and production last season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Don't know much about Brodie, but it would be tough for NJ to move Palmieri until Boqvist proves himself. The Devils only really have 3 proven scoring wingers in Hall, Bratt, and Palmieri. 4 if you count Simmonds, but I'd really put him in the "needs to prove himself" box because of his injury and production last season.
Brodie is a puck moving defenseman, he's a #3 IMO but can play top pair with the right guy and he can play both LD & RD. I knew losing Palmieri would be rough was why I included Frolik as apart of the deal (aside from us needing cap space). He's a solid two-way winger that is generally good for 15+ goals and a 0.5ppg (he's done this 5 of the last 6 years), and is a good possession player and can kill penalties effectively.

Reactions: Blackjack

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
no winger is worth 4 first round picks and $12+ million AAV

The salary portion of it is somewhat irrelevant since we have a ton of cap space and we would be able to fit him on our roster without having the need to sacrifice anyone.

As for the picks, I would gladly move them for someone like Marner. He's a 21 year old superstar who plays as well offensively as he does defensively. Having a young core of Hischier, Hughes, Marner, Bratt and Smith would be a massive step in the right direction. I didn't include Hall because I have no idea if he's willing to resign or not but if he did, I think we would have one of the strongest top #6 in the East with some very solid depth players.

I do agree that the price is steep but for a player of that caliber, I would think long and hard about it.

Reactions: TZdevils

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Devils are in a good spot to offer sheet Marner, they would have a really solid core with Hughes/Hall/Hischier/Marner.
Draft picks necessary to acquire Marner aside, I don't think any team can handle five players (including PK) at or very near an 8-figure salary territory at the same time which is where those four players would be eventually with two of them immediately and Hischier soon.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The salary portion of it is somewhat irrelevant since we have a ton of cap space and we would be able to fit him on our roster without having the need to sacrifice anyone.

As for the picks, I would gladly move them for someone like Marner. He's a 21 year old superstar who plays as well offensively as he does defensively. Having a young core of Hischier, Hughes, Marner, Bratt and Smith would be a massive step in the right direction. I didn't include Hall because I have no idea if he's willing to resign or not but if he did, I think we would have one of the strongest top #6 in the East with some very solid depth players.

I do agree that the price is steep but for a player of that caliber, I would think long and hard about it.

if we signed Marner for that AAV, we would absolutely need to make sacrifices going forward as far as keeping our own players.

coupled with the fact that we still need LHD help and taking away four first round picks which significantly hampers our ability to upgrade there, I am not doing it. Not even a thought.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
if we signed Marner for that AAV, we would absolutely need to make sacrifices going forward as far as keeping our own players.

coupled with the fact that we still need LHD help and taking away four first round picks which significantly hampers our ability to upgrade there, I am not doing it. Not even a thought.

I rather have young star players signed to long term deals and figure out the rest later instead of waiting for the perfect deal.

I remember several posters who weren’t interested in acquiring Subban because we already had Vatanen and Severson on the right side but at the end of the day, you add talent and figure out the rest along the way.

Landing Marner would cost us draft picks and nothing else. You worry about squeezing god knows who under the cap when the time will come.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I rather have young star players signed to long term deals and figure out the rest later instead of waiting for the perfect deal.

I remember several posters who weren’t interested in acquiring Subban because we already had Vatanen and Severson on the right side but at the end of the day, you add talent and figure out the rest along the way.

Landing Marner would cost us draft picks and nothing else. You worry about squeezing god knows who under the cap when the time will come.

"several posters" didnt know he could be had for the poopoo platter

if we could acquire Marner for junk then sure lets do it but I am not paying a wing $12 million AAV and giving up our future as well.

"lets figure out the rest later" is a horrible way to run a team, especially one still with holes.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I can't see anyone diving into the Marner buzzsaw of 4 1sts intentionally despite his upside.

We're really looking for a reliable 2nd pairing LHD with size/physicality - which kinda precludes Gardiner because of the 'reliable' word - and probably Brodie too - as he is more of what we have in Butcher.
We're also in need of a top-6 wing - preferrably rw, but we can move Bratt over to off-wing - so Gusev is a fit. So is Frolik.

I think there are probably 3 or 4 NHL players that we'd potentially dangle - Vats, Wood, Butcher, Zacha... and maybe 2-3 top prospects like aforementioned McLeod and certainly a variety of hit/miss wingers so there's probably some truth to Ray trying to get something of a salary dump or someone with only 1 year left as a rental bridge to Ty Smith in a full-time role.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
"several posters" didnt know he could be had for the poopoo platter

if we could acquire Marner for junk then sure lets do it but I am not paying a wing $12 million AAV and giving up our future as well.

"lets figure out the rest later" is a horrible way to run a team, especially one still with holes.

A cost-benefit analysis re:Ehlers vs Marner tho. Ehlers is absolutely worth one of our amazingly talented surplus RD + some trinkets

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Haven't read the whole thread, but has Hall for Marner deal been discussed?

(not a one for one, but something around those two)

Anthony17

Jun 27, 2019
Gardiner maybe Gusev... but what about Kreider? Devils and rangers made a deal last year. 2 rd pick and McLeod going the other way?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Haven't read the whole thread, but has Hall for Marner deal been discussed?

(not a one for one, but something around those two)
My understanding is Hall didn't like the way the media was in Edmonton, I don't see him chomping at the bit to go to Toronto.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Maybe we could see another Devils-Rangers trade.

Chris Kreider + Brendan Smith (cap dump) to NJ for Mirco Mueller + Brandon Gignac/Blake Speers
As if the Rangers are going to send Kreider to NJ to pummel their young guns after he shows them why they’ll regret the trade

Wont happen and if it does Gorton needs his head checked

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Maybe we could see another Devils-Rangers trade.

Chris Kreider + Brendan Smith (cap dump) to NJ for Mirco Mueller + Brandon Gignac/Blake Speers

dude this is heinous. And this is coming from someone who has been critical of this place overvaluing Kreider in general.

you really need to change the way you value trades

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Brodie and Gardiner are more of the same if what we already have and don’t need more of . They are better versions of Butchet and Vatanen but Deviks need a strong psyical D minded defender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad