Rumor: Devils not done making moves.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't think it's talking about anything specific, but we all know Shero has preyed on cap strapped teams in the past with draft picks and prospects, and I wouldn't be shocked if he continued to try that.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Here comes the Perenial AHL all star for a lesser AHL’er + 6th trade.

I could see them looking at signing Maroon on the cheap if they have room on their 3rd line

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I feel like this has been the rumor for quite some time. If it happens, it happens. If not, we go to camp with what we have and contend as best we can. I feel like this may be the first time that I have heard it from someone directly quoting someone within the Devils Org though. I think the previous rumors were largely just based on our desire to improve as well as our large cap immediate cap space.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
After the comments he's made, you've got to wonder if he's looking at the offer sheet route. There are still a lot of good names out there.

We gave up our 2020 2nd rounder in the Subban trade, so that limits the range of offer sheets the Devils could hypothetically tender. Basically it'd only be the 4.227-6.341 mil range (1st+3rd) or 10.6+ (four 1sts). Can't think of too many (worthwhile) RFAs who'd sign in the first range. And then there are the usual hurdles of the offers in the next range.

There was that questionable rumor a couple weeks ago that the Bruins and Devils had been talking about a David Backes deal. Bruins would open up space for McAvoy/Carlo, but at a cost of attaching a high pick to dump the remaining two years of Backes' contract.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
NJ should definitely make a move for Gusev.

They should try to dangle Butcher. They really don’t need him at this point. He doesn’t fit into their top 4 and will likely cost them more than a bottom pair D should cost.

Something around Gusev and Holden for Butcher and pick might work for both teams...

Reactions: egelband

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
NJ should definitely make a move for Gusev.

They should try to dangle Butcher. They really don’t need him at this point. He doesn’t fit into their top 4 and will likely cost them more than a bottom pair D should cost.

Something around Gusev and Holden for Butcher and pick might work for both teams...
Yes, they do. Our left side is crap, and Butcher is a young, top 4 dman with strong possession and offensive metrics.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I got a feeling the Sens will do something silly like trade Colin White for Pavel Zacha.

I don’t think Ottawa will trade White unless they can’t sign him. I doubt that happens though. I’d have to think the two sides wouldn’t be that far apart on a deal. Ottawa drafted White, and they seem to really like him. I’d be surprised if he’s traded.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Also what I think. Ray knows Jake wants to be in Toronto so he will wait but I could see Jake signing before like end of August because its his job on the line - he cant wait forever

Unless Jake wants to take a 1 year deal at a few million it makes no sense to wait on Toronto.

Devils are looking for a long term LD and the Devils will be a good team. Schnieder cant get worse plus Hischier, Hughes, Hall, Palmieri, Subban, Zacha, Zajac, Severson, Greene, Butcher etc. isnt a bad team to join. Some good prospects too.

The have cap space this season to still add and a ridiculous amount next season.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad