Post-Game Talk: Devils lose to Canucks in Shootout

Mory Schneideur*

Well then thats a definite loss . I have zero confidence with Marty, his save % is .865. Thats beyond atrocious.

Yeah man, Cory's .915 SV% is gonna save us. I mean it's not like he is 1-3-2 in his last 6 games... It's not like that 1 shutout he had heavily inflated his stats because he's only seen 6 games.

So now what? Cory's played 3 games in a row, he (and the team) still only have one win this season, do we keep riding The Schneider, since he, you had a win like 3 games ago and doesn't suck because he's like young and stuff?

Gelinas looked great btw, waive someone now and give this kid a permant spot.

Anyone else sitting in a dark room in the fetal position of the fact that the volchenkov-zidlicky pairing was miles better than Greene-fayne tonight?

My favorite was Gelinas-Larsson... Who knew we had youth and legs! We need more of this. Start waiving Lou! If only the bald idiot kept Urbom. :shakehead:

Whatever keeps them from the shootout. A shootout at this point is a guaranteed loss. Pull the goalie, 4 forwards, 4 D, I don't care. Anything is better than going to the shootout.

I suggest they pull the goalie during the shoot out for a forward.

What really burns me is that we've scored first in 7 games this year and we've lost 6 of those games. :shakehead

We have no idea how to keep a lead. That's 3 more wins even if we only kept half those leads.

Last edited by a moderator:

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Yeah man, Cory's .915 SV% is gonna save us. I mean it's not like he is 1-3-2 in his last 6 games... It's not like that 1 shutout he had heavily inflated his stats because he's only seen 6 games.

So now what? Cory's played 3 games in a row, he (and the team) still only have one win this season, do we keep riding The Schneider, since he, you had a win like 3 games ago and doesn't suck because he's like young and stuff?

Gelinas looked great btw, waive someone now and give this kid a permant spot.

Cory had a bad game and he even said so himself. But that is not to say he is not the better goaltender than Brodeur.

But other than the Ranger game with Cory in net the Devils have only scored 5 goals in 5 games which is not going to win jack.

Mory Schneideur*

Cory had a bad game and he even said so himself. But that is not to say he is not the better goaltender than Brodeur.

But other than the Ranger game with Cory in net the Devils have only scored 5 goals in 5 games which is not going to win jack.

I'm just mocking the Cory bandwagon because everyone got their wish and all we got was the same exact result.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Who do we get rid of though? Only option is Fayne. Volch is untradable.

Fact ie if we didn't fart away sure wins on that road trip shouldn't have a problem with this loss. Team did what we wanted tonight. Pp looked good. Love more finish but good goals were scored. Good all around play. Both goals against need to be stopped. Also give credit. This is a very good Canucks team. No scrubs here. We play both sides of the ice like this we will win more then lose.

If they are keen on keeping Gelinas and Larsson in the lineup every night for the foreseeable future, which they should be, then Lou needs to be on the phone offering Fayne to someone who needs D help. Hes a UFA and hes not coming back after the way Pete has treated him so they may as well speed up the process and get a pick or prospect while they can.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
I'm just mocking the Cory bandwagon because everyone got their wish and all we got was the same exact result.

True. Guess your point is, that Devils' problems arent just one persons' fault. It's a team game and all the parts of the puzzle need to click in order to get results.

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
I got to say it....this is the first time I've actually felt really down on this team.
Like deflated. Even in fall 2010, I really didnt feel this lousy.

I'm numb to their suckage, and that's sad

Mory Schneideur*

True. Guess your point is, that Devils' problems arent just one persons' fault. It's a team game and all the parts of the puzzle need to click in order to get results.

Yes sir. Every game a different part of the team is failing us. Today the skaters were great and goalie was so-so, next game might be the opposite. These guys playa great when playing as a team but I don't understand what's going on. They are playing responsibly, getting 30+ shots while giving up less than 20 and still losing. It's just strange.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
We should just forfeit the shootout. Or ask the league for a different skill contest. Maybe try that ice dancing thing they did at the KHL-allstar game.:shakehead

And Cory really gifted them those two points. Start Marty against Boston and pray that he finds his form.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I would not say horrid, but he was not good.
But, we still had the win for the taking.

Too many players are just not producing the way they should and need to.
And add in the bad decisions by Pete game in and game out, it's not that much of a surprise that they're not winning games.

Greene led the team in giveaways with 4. Don't think anyone had more than 1...

Cory was abysmal, and not just on the goals. He almost gifted a few others with juicy rebounds.

That said, he should still get the more starts. He'll come around, but I think all of this debate is bs, because both the goalies are at the teams mercy.

Still, we will get to see the ups and downs of a typical tender, something we have never had to see with Marty.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Be careful...you're not the one that gets to do that after your '35 wins for each goalie, and best goaltending tandem ever' posts in the offseason.

I don't see people excusing Cory either, he was awful last night. He's being called out just like Marty was called out for his hideous games this year. I wouldn't blame Pete for going with Marty in Boston. That said, there's a lot more invested for the future of the franchise to get Cory going than to cater to Marty. Especially if the team's going to go nowhere anyway. Not the least of which is actually finding out if Cory is a goalie you give a long-term $7+ million deal to before you have to do it.

We gave long-term deals to Zajac and Henrique not knowing whether they were the products of great players and we're paying for it. I don't want to give a long-term deal to Cory without knowing if he can handle a 55+ workload and be the man - or worse, not ever find out, have him walk and then be the great goalie we think he can be.

Last edited:

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Frustrating game but there were definitely some encouraging signs. If Cory was just a tad bit better tonight we win this one in regulation easily. Saturday's game against the Bruins will be an interesting one.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
not surprised Larsson looked so fluid in OT. alot of experience on international ice

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Shame, Devil deserved to win that game. Loved Gelinas, he was great. I wish Larsson played more like him and not hesitate as much. Maybe it' s time to give Merrill a look and consider moving out Larsson for scoring or a first. The kid, while still young just doesn't impress.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
not surprised Larsson looked so fluid in OT. alot of experience on international ice

I think towards the end of that game and OT Larsson was gave Pete a figurative middle finger. He saw Gelinas playing his game and said "**** this, I used to play like that. I'm going back to that.". Loved what I saw from those two last night.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I think towards the end of that game and OT Larsson was gave Pete a figurative middle finger. He saw Gelinas playing his game and said "**** this, I used to play like that. I'm going back to that.". Loved what I saw from those two last night.

Exactly what I thought. Gelinas was so much more free, which Larsson figured **** it, let me do what you're doing. Worked well for the both of them, was very impressed.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
So I went down behind the Devs net for warmups just to snap a few photos.

Was about to take a pic of Gelinas when Volchenkov unloads on a slapper. It rips off the crossbar and goes flying up in the air over the black netting. I'm like, wow that's coming right at my face :laugh: It hung in the air for what seemed like forever...reached my hand out and caught it one handed. A bunch of people gave me a cheer which was kinda cool.

Moral of the story? I'd swallow that puck whole for a win right now :laugh:

would you piss on a spark plug though? :laugh:

GameSeven with the obscure quote of the WarGames GDT yesterday.

At least Gelinas looks great.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
My thoughts from the game:

DeBoer did everything I wanted him to. Gelinas and Larsson in the lineup, Loktionov between Jagr and Elias, keeping the lines together for pretty much the whole game, and letting the kids play in important spots.

Gelinas- What else can we say about the kid? He was maybe the best player on the ice. He made the veteran defensemen look silly. I personally think the guy this affects the MOST is Fayne. Larsson isn't going anywhere, Salvador is going to play when he's back, Volchenkov's contract is un-movable, and Zids/Greene aren't going anywhere. Fayne might be on the block now. I think Harrold would be waived or kept on as the 7th guy if Fayne goes. Gelinas has a great shot, smooth hands, and is a smart player. He and Larsson were a great pairing.... and people are telling me Merrill is better? Makes me excited for the future.

Best line on the ice Elias-Loktionov-Jagr. I think last night shows why Loktionov is a better hockey player than Jacob Josefson. Let's hope this line stays together and continues to produce.

Ryder had some great chances and just got unlucky.

Greene and Schneider had bad games.

Olesz is a non-factor for me. I think he's holding Clowe's spot at this point (who I keep forgetting is on the team).

Zajac looked a little better and was taking some shots which he needs to be doing.

Henrique is continuing his poor play from last season. I really hope this isn't the player he really is. We've seen better out of him. It just seems like something is wrong.

The fourth line played a very good game. Last night made me see why DeBoer likes Gionta so much. The fact that the line was -2 is unfair to them considering both goals the Canucks scored never should have went in.

Brunner played 13 minutes. I wonder if he's hurt or what's going on with him.

Overall I took a lot of positives out of last night besides continuing to suck terribly in the shootout. I am not hopeful for tomorrow's game in Boston but let's hope the boys can prove us wrong. A strong game vs Boston and a win vs Tampa would go a long way in getting the team pumped up for the 11/2 Philly game.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
My thoughts from the game:
The fourth line played a very good game. Last night made me see why DeBoer likes Gionta so much. The fact that the line was -2 is unfair to them considering both goals the Canucks scored never should have went in.

Here's what I've noticed with that line - I think that line is awful defensively. They do get pretty good pressure in the offensive zone at times, but it's fluky pressure at best. For example:

How many times have we seen Gionta on a rush, nearly beat all the defender, only to get breathe on and fall into the boards. He almost never gets a shot off. He's not strong enough or skilled enough to make anything out of his speed. So while they do keep the puck in our zone well, they very rarely turn into good chances.

Defensively they're an abomination (specifically Gionta the last few games). Teams almost always create at least 1 great chance against this group. Cory made some big saves while they were on the ice (and it seems like they're always on the ice).

The only player on that line that should be playing more than 9-10 minutes is Bernier. And if you need Gio/Carter to play more than 10 (13-14 minutes) you bring in Josefson and trade for a guy who can contribute. Carter is a shell. Gio is a great energy guy and that's pretty much it.

I keep hearing how he doesn't make mistakes (and I defended him quite a bit) but I saw him make a ton of mistakes last night and the game before. He just gets bailed out by bonehead penalties or missed shots or great saves.

Buckingham Claude*

Here's what I've noticed with that line - I think that line is awful defensively. They do get pretty good pressure in the offensive zone at times, but it's fluky pressure at best. For example:

How many times have we seen Gionta on a rush, nearly beat all the defender, only to get breathe on and fall into the boards. He almost never gets a shot off. He's not strong enough or skilled enough to make anything out of his speed. So while they do keep the puck in our zone well, they very rarely turn into good chances.

Defensively they're an abomination (specifically Gionta the last few games). Teams almost always create at least 1 great chance against this group. Cory made some big saves while they were on the ice (and it seems like they're always on the ice).

The only player on that line that should be playing more than 9-10 minutes is Bernier. And if you need Gio/Carter to play more than 10 (13-14 minutes) you bring in Josefson and trade for a guy who can contribute. Carter is a shell. Gio is a great energy guy and that's pretty much it.

I keep hearing how he doesn't make mistakes (and I defended him quite a bit) but I saw him make a ton of mistakes last night and the game before. He just gets bailed out by bonehead penalties or missed shots or great saves.

Great post. Others should read this if they haven't.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
At this point if NJD wins on Saturday with Brodeur in net you go with Marty for an extended period, at least he won't fumble the puck and gift it to the other team.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I was checking our scoring leaders. 20 out of our 52 points come from our 3 oldest players.( other than Martie the goalie). I am sure none of us were really expecting that. We were all saying our team was old, but we need the goals and assists at the moment. We need more players to step up!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00