GDT: Devils @ Islanders, 7:30 PM, Apocalypse Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
am i crazy in thinkin hughes sounds like he's fighting a cold?

You could be crazy but Hughes definitely sounds like he has a cold in this locker room interview.

He's here, already has a new name. Only posted a couple times, I think he just wanted to get a start date in, go silent and then will come back in a month or two when he's not a "fresh account." I'll remember though.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I was at the game tonight, pretty good showing of Devils fans there. A lot of good tonight, arguably the best defensive game in Ruff's tenure. Skated absolute circles around the Isles for the entire game. Finishing was pretty bad in the first but the second period was perfect for NJ. Blackwood's save on Pageau was arguably the biggest save he's made since the 2 on 0 save he made in Tampa Bay. Loved what the powerplay did tonight even though they didn't score tonight and also loved what the PK did tonight. Gotta keep this momentum against a bad Sharks team on a matinee on Saturday.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I was at the game tonight, pretty good showing of Devils fans there. A lot of good tonight, arguably the best defensive game in Ruff's tenure. Skated absolute circles around the Isles for the entire game. Finishing was pretty bad in the first but the second period was perfect for NJ. Blackwood's save on Pageau was arguably the biggest save he's made since the 2 on 0 save he made in Tampa Bay. Loved what the powerplay did tonight even though they didn't score tonight and also loved what the PK did tonight. Gotta keep this momentum against a bad Sharks team on a matinee on Saturday.
were you one of the Fans "wooing" every time the Devils scored? could definitely hear it on t.v

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Severson looked great, it’s sad that his new contract will prob look like the one weager just signed

That was my favorite Severson game. The passes were great but for me, he broke up three really great opportunities for the Isles by using his stick - and it isn't always that way. There were really zero boneheaded moves --- just really good all night long. This is what I'd hoped for when he came out of juniors... wish it could be every night.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Also as much as we shit on Ruff here, we have to give him props for tonight. 11-7 looked phenomenal tonight against the Islanders, he was able to roll 3 lines + double shift Hughes + Bratt and keep the defense fresh with how hard hitting the Islanders play. I'll be ready to curse out Ruff the next mistake he makes or the next in game adjustment he doesn't make but tonight he outclassed a rookie HC.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Whats crazy, even during the two L’s the Devils dominated those game. Like I said the defense wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t ether in those games. Fast forward to the Islanders game. Blackwood makes the timely saves and the team looks dominate.

This was a tough game for the Devils. Sorokin was on fire and the Islander hit the Devils every chance they had. If Blackwood gives up the early goal, this game could of been closer to games 1 +2. Blackwood stood tall, and Devils never took their foot off the gas.

As wild as it may sound some ppl have the Islander bouncing back this year. Lets not take this win for granted.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Whats crazy, even during the two L’s the Devils dominated those game. Like I said the defense wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t ether in those games. Fast forward to the Islanders game. Blackwood makes the timely saves and the team looks dominate.

This was a tough game for the Devils. Sorokin was on fire and the Islander hit the Devils every chance they had. If Blackwood gives up the early goal, this game could of been closer to games 1 +2. Blackwood stood tall, and Devils never took their foot off the gas.

As wild as it may sound some ppl have the Islander bouncing back this year. Lets not take this win for granted.
I do think it's worthwhile to see it as an early trend: despite the first two losses winding up quite hideous, the underlying metrics did show the Devils driving possession and generating chances, ending up with very high expected goals numbers. They just had horribly times defensive collapses and the goalies didn't step up when needed, and both games ended up terrible.

The next two games they basically did the same thing, but they got their ducks in a row for the most part on defense and Blackwood did what was needed without having to do anything really insane. That's a recipe for success with a group this young and fast.

Palat and Haula are also looking like the right kinds of players they needed to bring in, at least so far; it's been so nice to see them generating more chances closer to the net, and I think those two are playing a key role in that. Of course, Jack/Nico/Jesper have come up huge the last couple games, too, and if *that* keeps up then this team could really go places.

Their defensive collapses were so bad in the first two games that it was getting hard to imagine them ever being good; now they've looked so sharp the last couple that you can start envisioning what this team looks like when things are clicking.

Basically, after two terrible endings to the first two games, I'm back to where I was during most of the offseason: cautiously optimistic.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
nico-hischier-wake-up-have-a-good-breakfast.gif

I sure will today, Cap, thanks to you! Thank you! :laugh:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Statistically not all that far from the team that lost to Philly and Detroit. Those games weren’t all that different, goaltending aside.

They sure looked different. I know the stats, but I don't feel like they tell the whole story. The team was flying last night. They had chemistry and shots were coming from the most dangerous areas on the ice. And they were good shots. Not easily savable muffins. The defense too. It was so solid. No extended, pinned in their own zone for 2 minutes shifts. That almost never happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad