Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Then why did you spend half a decade crying about Cory Schneider

giphy.gif

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That game could have very easily gone the wrong way when the shots were 15-0 late in the first with a single blown coverage...

You can't go 20 shots without scoring a goal.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don’t think there’s much to take away from this game. We’ve seen this almost every year early in the season. Teams aren’t tight defensively, they get surprised by the speed and the Devils look great. I feel like I can find quotes going back to 2018 where early opponents talk about how fast the Devils are and how they got surprised. Never lasts.

Barzal’s quotes from after the game are dead on. The way to play the Devils is to limit turnovers in the middle of the ice, get pucks deep and cycle the puck. Clog the middle of the ice and force the Devils to win along the boards.

The Devils have played one game against a team that forced them into board battles (Flyers) and they looked terrible. I’m hoping they’ve solved for that. But until we see them win games against teams that are playing with structure and commitment (which will be most of the top teams), it’s hard to know if the Devils have really turned a corner.

Edit: not meaning to say it wasn’t fun watching the Devils win last night. You should take what the other team will give you - and the Devils did a great job of that against the Isles. Definitely happy to see that.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
That game could have very easily gone the wrong way when the shots were 15-0 late in the first with a single blown coverage...

You can't go 20 shots without scoring a goal.
their goalie had a hell of a game, otherwise i’d agree with you. shara and bratt need to pot a couple, and i’m sure they will

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
We need a thread call “Nothing to do with Today” or something.

A perfect place for people to discuss the 2016 draft, former GMs, past players, etc….

Reactions: My3Sons and HBK27

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Last night was a perfect example of how winning (or losing) has almost nothing to do with your goaltending.

Take care of your own zone, capitalize on your chance...let your goalie be the last line of defense (and not the first) and you'll win more games than you lose.
Blackwood made a couple huge saves when it was 2-0. I watched the game and honestly came to the opposite conclusion. They could have easily lost that game despite the domination it we got game one Blackwood instead of the other guy.

Reactions: OlfactoryHughes

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We need a thread call “Nothing to do with Today” or something.

A perfect place for people to discuss the 2016 draft, former GMs, past players, etc….
2016 has "Nothing to do with today*?

Maybe you just make believe that you don't see the uselessness of the 2016 #12 overall that started as #11 overall on a nightly basis?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
"cried" about him??? He was just never good as some made him about to be. Those weak side bad angle goals were happening when he was .920+. He was a joke and smoke and mirrors.

This board would overlook that shit on a nightly basis now we crucify goalies for letting in a goal with a dude standing in the crease covered by no one and recieves a perfect pass on his tape from another guy who was hardly covered by a Dman scrambling to pick up his man.
But if, according to you:
winning (or losing) has almost nothing to do with your goaltending.
is true, then why does it matter if Schneider was good or not? If he sucked like you claim, we should have just won anyway because winning and losing "has almost nothing to do with your goaltending?"

And even more than that - does that mean Marty Brodeur was a non-factor in the Devils championship wins? That those Cups had "almost nothing to do" with Marty's performance?

If we put Jon Gillies or Andrew Hammond onto the '95 team, nothing would have changed because Stevens and Daneyko would have just handled everything himself right?

You're just saying stuff for the sake of saying it.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I don’t think there’s much to take away from this game. We’ve seen this almost every year early in the season. Teams aren’t tight defensively, they get surprised by the speed and the Devils look great. I feel like I can find quotes going back to 2018 where early opponents talk about how fast the Devils are and how they got surprised. Never lasts.

Barzal’s quotes from after the game are dead on. The way to play the Devils is to limit turnovers in the middle of the ice, get pucks deep and cycle the puck. Clog the middle of the ice and force the Devils to win along the boards.

The Devils have played one game against a team that forced them into board battles (Flyers) and they looked terrible. I’m hoping they’ve solved for that. But until we see them win games against teams that are playing with structure and commitment (which will be most of the top teams), it’s hard to know if the Devils have really turned a corner.

Edit: not meaning to say it wasn’t fun watching the Devils win last night. You should take what the other team will give you - and the Devils did a great job of that against the Isles. Definitely happy to see that.
Devils oushot flyers 37-25. Flyers made 28 blockshots when Devils made 9. The reason why Devils lost that game was MB29 only. If he could save something, but he couldn`t. Good effort from flyers, but Hart and Devils missclick in timings present them 2 points.
Devils won against Islanders not because lack of pressure and defensive structure from islanders, but because Devils made good passes, won puck battles and were much faster. And ofcourse mister BLackwood decide to be good enough goaltender. 17 shots isn`t a regular workload. This is a shortened working day.

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Well that has been the problem for us...you are expecting/needing a goalie to give up 2 or less most nights in a league that averages 3.16 Goals For.

That is what you need, yes.

Last year, the Devils were 3-15-4 when scoring 2 goals, which makes a kind of sense, you need more than 2 goals to win. The real problem is that they were 4-14-3 when they scored 3 goals. That speaks to the goaltending.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
But if, according to you:

is true, then why does it matter if Schneider was good or not? If he sucked like you claim, we should have just won anyway because winning and losing "has almost nothing to do with your goaltending?"

And even more than that - does that mean Marty Brodeur was a non-factor in the Devils championship wins? That those Cups had "almost nothing to do" with Marty's performance?

If we put Jon Gillies or Andrew Hammond onto the '95 team, nothing would have changed because Stevens and Daneyko would have just handled everything himself right?

You're just saying stuff for the sake of saying it.
Goaltending was not the same in the 90's. A few goalies were actually head and shoulders above the rest...today they are clones made in factories.

Schneider sucked and we didn't win because we were regularly at the bottom of the league in goal scoring. But we were also one of the best teams in the league in GA from the 90's all the way to 2016...I think we were out of the top 10 only twice or 3 times (going from memory here) in 20 years... Schneider did dick to aid to that ...that was our team culture and what it always was.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Pros and cons:

+ Maybe the most impressive period (1st) I've seen this core play
+ Nico, Jack, Bratt are absolute animals
+ Stay like this Mac..
+ Pretty much everyone, there were no passengers

- Need to finish better. First period was so good we really shouldve killed the game right there.
I think our Finnish was good enough. 75% FO wins.

Reactions: My3Sons

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
Well that has been the problem for us...you are expecting/needing a goalie to give up 2 or less most nights in a league that averages 3.16 Goals For.

Not really. The Devils scored pretty close to league average last year. Another step from Hughes and they can move that number a little higher. However, the real reason the Devils sucked last season was the 307 goals against. I'm expecting/hoping/praying that the Devils won't give up 3.75 goals a game like last season, so that they won't need to score 4 just to pick up a point in the standings.

Reactions: Dialamo and My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That is what you need, yes.

Last year, the Devils were 3-15-4 when scoring 2 goals, which makes a kind of sense, you need more than 2 goals to win. The real problem is that they were 4-14-3 when they scored 3 goals. That speaks to the goaltending.
When scoring 3 they should have been closer to.500 based on league average... sure...

So 5 games we are talking here...5 from the loss column to the win column puts you at 9-9-3...5 games.

I am just not willing to concede that goaltending alone is the reason for the gap...the team in previous years has been terrible defensively and sub par offensively...to lay the 5 games at the feet of goaltending alone seems rather absurd to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad