GDT: Devils @ Islanders, 7:30 PM, Apocalypse Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We're so bipolar on here aren't we LOL
Definitely. I would say this place is very reactionary. Not everybody, but people wanted Ruff fired 5 periods ago (I’m sure deep down a lot of people still do) and now he’s no big deal. A lot of people were also on my bus to run Blackwood out of town 5 periods ago, now he’s not bad.

There were also a lot of people talking about our defense and how bad it is, now after two games where the goalie allows 3 goals combined, it’s not so bad anymore.

I gotta say, I don’t think you could play much better defense than we have the last two games. More often than not it won’t be this good. It also helps that those teams were Anaheim and the Islanders.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Bratt…wow. What the hell is going on that they haven’t been able to come to long term agreement with him?

Did the coaching staff…make adjustments to the d strategy…?? I’d have to go back and take a closer look at the last couple of the games but there clearly seems to be less room for the opposition out there. Combine that with some dominant puck possession and actual finish, and suddenly yeah you’ve got a team that can win games. Still don’t think they get to the net/rebounds enough. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Also leave it to Blackwood to blow the shutout with 3 minutes left on a weak ass play. He still needs to go IMO.

More of this please, I want to look like an idiot for doubting them.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Once again, we're not doing the eat crow thing over one game.

This is how you get one more year of Cory Schneider when we shouldn't have.

And no, I'm not saying we shouldn't have gotten Blackwood this year. Just that I was demanded to eat crow and treated like a f***in idiot because I said ''Nah, IDGAF how good those games were. He's 33, he won't be good next year''.

And he wasn't good next year. He was waived 7 weeks into the season.

But once again, I've always given the 25 year old goalie a greater chance of being good again than a 33 year old. And not to mention, he had been bad for twice the amount of games by that point than Blackwood, even if they weren't as bad as Blackwood's games.
I need you you to say it. Blackwood was good tonight.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Definitely. I would say this place is very reactionary. Not everybody, but people wanted Ruff fired 5 periods ago (I’m sure deep down a lot of people still do) and now he’s no big deal. A lot of people were also on my bus to run Blackwood out of town 5 periods ago, now he’s not bad.

There were also a lot of people talking about our defense and how bad it is, now after two games where the goalie allows 3 goals combined, it’s not so bad anymore.

I gotta say, I don’t think you could play much better defense than we have the last two games. More often than not it won’t be this good. It also helps that those teams were Anaheim and the Islanders.
I’ve been critical of the defensive system. I didn’t focus on the defense but I will say that with the jump they’ve had these last two games it was less important. Less pucks are getting pinned to the wall or behind the net and it minimizes the overload problem.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Just finished this one on delay:

-I thought Bahl looked very solid. No reason he can’t provide what Smith does…and then some.
-I hope Ruff doesn’t make a habit out of this 7 D nonsense. Let’s not burn Hughes out 20 games into the season with constant double shifts.
-Give Bratt a blank check ASAP
-Nico ❤️

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I need you you to say it. Blackwood was good tonight.
I never said he wasn’t.

We played a pretty good game, actually the last two. Maybe that’s more because the opponents were weak (The Islanders were allowing a lot of shots early on) but it’s asinine to ask someone to 180 on a player that hasn’t shown long term that he’s back to being a good player.

Once again, does Ruff deserve some praise for coaching a good game? You or anyone asking me to say Blackwood is good because he had a good game and he was good tonight (there it is, you got what you asked for from me) or a good two games is just way over the top. Especially when the prior 56 games (see? I’m not using the last two!) were a fiery wreck.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
The whole team has played well. I'm not tying like 7 mil long term into a really good but not great player nearing their 30s when we already have another guy on the right who is better and another who is around as good locked in long term and a top prospect coming up on the right side. The money could be used better elsewhere. If we didn't trade for Marino then it'd be an option. It's not an option now.
I forget he'll be 29 next year.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
no but I expect you can smell the wood burning as he processes the NHL game. A acted coach like Ruff probably doesn’t want to go down with a rookie playing a significant role.

Its definitely hard to argue the results today. If team keeps playing this way... He will be garnering support back...

Reactions: My3Sons

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I just don't know what the point of having an analytics department is if you're not going to lock up your analytics darlings at a fair rate.

Assuming he wasn't holding out for more than 8...

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I just don't know what the point of having an analytics department is if you're not going to lock up your analytics darlings at a fair rate.

his agent could also think that 1 more year of elite production + more clarity on the league's salary cap would get Bratt way more money than just signing a long term deal the past off season.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Even if he was, the Devils would've had trouble putting together this roster giving him 8.

They got Siegenthaler signed long-term and Hughes as well, can't get everyone.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

Isles fans looking for ‘high’lights like
2B506AD2-5EC6-4CFF-8EA5-30D2E0630768.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad