LeBrun: Devils have made 8 year offer to Jesper Bratt - Meier next on Devils agenda

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'll throw my little 2 cents in. This is coming from a Canes fan who admittedly knows little about the ends and outs of the Devils organization.

This is part of what Carolina fans were trying to warn you guys about when you signed Hamilton. When you're rebuilding, having a high amount of cap space is an illusion, because eventually all the players you draft are eventually going to need money. That's why for example Colorado didn't try to acquire a bunch of big names when they still had guys like Makar and Mikko on ELC's. And not only did the signing of guys like Hamilton, Palat, and to lesser extent Tatar and Bernier take away that salary, but it also set the precedent of how the organization signs deals. So to me as an outsider, it is the John Tavares Effect to a lesser extent, because if I'm either of Bratt or Meier, why would I accept less money then I'm worth when the team brought in UFA's for more money then they're worth?
Hamilton isn't their Tavares -- he's a key player, worth the contract, and fills a void on the team.

But I agree that Meier would be their Tavares and will prevent them from addressing needs down the line. I'd do Bratt long term ow and trade Meier at the draft to give you back ammo for the next rental, or to help keep the cupboards stocked.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Bratt isn't even 25 yet and coming off back to back 70+ point seasons but because one mediocre playoff performance the Devils' shouldn't sign him long term? Would love to know what some of these people saying this would spend that cap space on instead of a near PPG winger set to hit his prime.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
the large drop in actually production is bad
Of course its preferably to have no drop in production. But when the opponent stops 96% of the shots your team generates when your on the ice, it's hard to get points. Luckily, that sort of poor puck luck isn't likely to sustain, so there should be no concern about his ability to produce in future playoff rounds.
its a lot harder to get points from the perimeter. you need guys to go into the corners and the slot come playoffs.
You also need guys who can carry the puck and make plays.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hamilton isn't their Tavares -- he's a key player, worth the contract, and fills a void on the team.

Naah, Hamilton was absolute garbage in the playoffs. A complete liability who needs to be babysat. He was very easily our worst player. He's still has the worst +/- in the playoffs despite only playing 2 series...

Last edited:

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Of course its preferably to have no drop in production. But when the opponent stops 96% of the shots your team generates when your on the ice, it's hard to get points. Luckily, that sort of poor puck luck isn't likely to sustain, so there should be no concern about his ability to produce in future playoff rounds.

You also need guys who can carry the puck and make plays.
isnt that what hughes and the rest of the top6 do. too much of the same.

not sure its luck. it's the outcome of not winning board battles or net front battles.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
isnt that what hughes and the rest of the top6 do. too much of the same.
Yes to Hughes, no to everyone else. Hischier does a bit, but he's more of a 200 foot center. and everyone else less so.

not sure its luck. it's the outcome of not winning board battles or net front battles.
It's the outcome of running into a hot goaltender. You've obviously constructed some false narrative in your head and actual data won't change your mind, so I think we're done here.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Yes to Hughes, no to everyone else. Hischier does a bit, but he's more of a 200 foot center. and everyone else less so.

It's the outcome of running into a hot goaltender. You've obviously constructed some false narrative in your head and actual data won't change your mind, so I think we're done here.
you cheery picked 2 stats to try and say bratt had a good playoffs. it's just not that convincing.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
I'll throw my little 2 cents in. This is coming from a Canes fan who admittedly knows little about the ends and outs of the Devils organization.

This is part of what Carolina fans were trying to warn you guys about when you signed Hamilton. When you're rebuilding, having a high amount of cap space is an illusion, because eventually all the players you draft are eventually going to need money. That's why for example Colorado didn't try to acquire a bunch of big names when they still had guys like Makar and Mikko on ELC's. And not only did the signing of guys like Hamilton, Palat, and to lesser extent Tatar and Bernier take away that salary, but it also set the precedent of how the organization signs deals. So to me as an outsider, it is the John Tavares Effect to a lesser extent, because if I'm either of Bratt or Meier, why would I accept less money then I'm worth when the team brought in UFA's for more money then they're worth?
Tatar and Bernier have signed short-term contracts so they don't matter in the long run, I didn't like Palat signing and still don't but to be fair, if it wasn't for him, you'd be playing NYR in the round 2 and not us. I agree with the principle that you can't build a team around UFA signings, however I don't think that what happened in TOR was result of the Tavares signing, I think it was more related to giving in to Nylander's demands.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
They might be owing some game theory stuff between Bratt and Meier. One is signed for 8 yrs, other is traded. If thry get both then watch for Hischier trade rumors to come around figuring Mercer can play a 2C role.
Mercer at center has been tried many times, and it always falls apart the second you take Bratt off his wing.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
He underproduced, but that has no bearing on his future ability to produce in the playoffs, for reasons you seem uncapable of understanding.

Goodbye.
I'm a fellow NJD fan and I wouldn't be that optimistic about that. His underproduction (in my opinion) came from not playing tough enough and in the play-offs you have to. Not saying it can't be fixed but that definitely puts some risk on this signing. I agree that the both series were played vs. good goalies but it wasn't an issue that stopped Hughes from producing.

Reactions: Lateralous

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm a fellow NJD fan and I wouldn't be that optimistic about that. His underproduction (in my opinion) came from not playing tough enough and in the play-offs you have to. Not saying it can't be fixed but that definitely puts some risk on this signing. I agree that the both series were played vs. good goalies but it wasn't an issue that stopped Hughes from producing.
Hughes had an 11% on ice shooting percentage.

Bratt and Hischier's was 4%.

Bratt had some poor games, and he had some really good games where he just wasn't rewarded. That sort of on ice sh% isn't sustainable. The Devils only scored 4 goals when he was on the ice at 5v5, compared to 11.55 expected goals.

That should tell you something.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
He underproduced, but that has no bearing on his future ability to produce in the playoffs, for reasons you seem uncapable of understanding.

Goodbye.
i understand what youre trying to say but you're leaving the context out of the advanced stats. his underperformance this playoffs is the outcome of how he plays. maybe he makes some changes but there should be some concern with an 8 year deal if the devils also lock up meier too. a team can make it work with a few players like that but it's one too many for nj imo.

Reactions: Lateralous

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Naah, Hamilton was absolute garbage in the playoffs. A complete liability who needs to be babysat. He was very easily our worst player. He's still has the worst +/- in the playoffs despite only playing 2 series...
[/QUOTE]

Hamilton's advanced numbers were ok though? His PDO was pretty low. On balance the team struggled to score in the playoffs which is a small sample size but likely had something to do with some lack of experience for some players and some bad luck as you’ve alluded to. He was also hurt at some point which obviously has a big impact. I am critical of Hamilton’s defense at times but he didn’t stand out to me as terrible.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
My guess is 7.5-8.0 max for Bratt.

Meier should be a shorter term deal or trade him. Hes been underwhelming.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

But I agree that Meier would be their Tavares and will prevent them from addressing needs down the line. I'd do Bratt long term ow and trade Meier at the draft to give you back ammo for the next rental, or to help keep the cupboards stocked.
Can’t see NJ going Bratt over Meier if they had to make that choice . Meier brings a must needed style of game . Bratt is mayyybe more productive but is another small perimeter player . The only small reason NJ might lean slightly toward Bratt than Meier is because Bratt was their draft pick and developed by them . However , I don’t think that should count as an advantage for Bratt .
Meier is one of few that can drive the net , forecheck hard , throw hits , stand in front of the net . Devils need more of that not less.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
No way it's 8mil. I like Bratt - he's not an 8 mil/year talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad