LeBrun: Devils have made 8 year offer to Jesper Bratt - Meier next on Devils agenda

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
built like the leafs in the sense they are a very soft team built largely around regular seasons success. they are also both very top6 forward heavy and light on defense and goaltending. you are right that nj did much better on contracts

leafs did win a round this year, same as the devils. the results are the same but the leafs did put up more of a fight than the devils in the 2nd round, one goal games vs lopsided losses.
The Devils group is younger though and this was their first go-around. Not attempt four or five. They weren’t expected to have some perfectly balanced roster construction at this point, clearly it is a work in progress.

And the defense is going to be awesome soon with Hughes and Nemec joining Hamilton, Marino and Siegenthaler. The Leags haven’t had one young blueliner near that level in this entire era let alone two on the way.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
The Devils group is younger though and this was their first go-around. Not attempt four or five. They weren’t expected to have some perfectly balanced roster construction at this point, clearly it is a work in progress.

And the defense is going to be awesome soon with Hughes and Nemec joining Hamilton, Marino and Siegenthaler. The Leags haven’t had one young blueliner near that level in this entire era let alone two on the way.
you're counting your chickens before they hatch. even if the all end up that good the devils likely wont be able to afford them

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
built like the leafs in the sense they are a very soft team built largely around regular seasons success. they are also both very top6 forward heavy and light on defense and goaltending. you are right that nj did much better on contracts

leafs did win a round this year, same as the devils. the results are the same but the leafs did put up more of a fight than the devils in the 2nd round, one goal games vs lopsided losses.

This is year 1 for the Devils, so no...the results are not the same.

you're counting your chickens before they hatch. even if the all end up that good the devils likely wont be able to afford them

That's a good problem to have in a capped NHL.

Reactions: hn777

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I mean Hughes is a can’t miss. It’s pretty obvious. I’m not even a Devils fan. Nemec’s baseline is very high.

Anyways, that’s why I’m suggesting they should not extend both Meier and Bratt full-term. I’d personally deal Bratt for assets and flexibility so they can fine tune the balance of their roster construction.

Reactions: hn777

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
8 year deal after the playoffs he had? Very interested to see how much this will be...
imagine you pay 8x8.5m for a no show in the playoffs
or 11.6m for a complete no show in the playoffs

as a rangers fan you should be well aware of this

In every thread you seem to be an expert on all things Devils!!
he is an expert on everything. especially on hiding when things go against his team.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Anyways, that’s why I’m suggesting they should not extend both Meier and Bratt full-term. I’d personally deal Bratt for assets and flexibility so they can fine tune the balance of their roster construction.
that's what i think is the best move too and what ive been suggesting.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I mean Hughes is a can’t miss. It’s pretty obvious. I’m not even a Devils fan. Nemec’s baseline is very high.

They’re trying win games though, not cap flexibility champions. I’d rather load up on that 2-3 window and make subsequent deals down the line if they have to, to mix and match talent, than cull the roster so you can sign guys three years from now.

We’ll see what happens with Bratt. He and his agent seem determined to play hardball, but frankly I don’t know that his bet last summer really worked out for him.

Reactions: HBK27

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Devils are not set up to sign both of Bratt and Meier to big money long term deals. They want to have it all but the cap isn't going to allow it right now. They can probably do one, but not both or it will gut their depth and not allow for raises for a guy like Mercer who's gonna need a big one after next year.

Hughes - $8 x 5
Nico - $7.25 x 4
Palat - $6 x 4 - NMC
Dougie - $9 x 5 - NMC
Marino - $4.4 x 4
Sieg - $3.4 x 5
Vanacek - $3.4 x 2

All of those deals are fine and you wouldn't/couldn't move them. It's just the Devils have already allocated good money to a bunch of players. They've spread it out so it's not like the Leafs with huge contracts to only 4-5 players but to sign Bratt and Meier to market value or near market value deals for the long term would make things pretty tough. Maybe the best thing is to sign one to a long term deal and the other to a 2-3 year deal and renegotiate when the cap jumps up in a couple seasons.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
They’re trying win games though, not cap flexibility champions. I’d rather load up on that 2-3 window and make subsequent deals down the line if they have to, to mix and match talent, than cull the roster so you can sign guys three years from now.

We’ll see what happens with Bratt. He and his agent seem determined to play hardball, but frankly I don’t know that his bet last summer really worked out for him.
I’m not suggesting they trade Bratt and sit on the assets and cap space but rather re-invest it differently.

Reactions: Forge

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I’m not suggesting they trade Bratt and sit on the assets and cap space but rather re-invest it differently.
Very difficult to find an immediate contributor that’s an analogue for Bratt, especially if the goal is saving money. Like you can trade for Debrincat, but if you have to pay him the same (more?) then what’s the point?

As long as Bratt isn’t asking for a truly asinine sum, which I can’t imagine is the case, they should pay him (be it medium or long term) and worry about later, later.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022

no one is suggesting keeping that. theyre sugesting using it outside of skilled top 6 forwards. better goaltending, gritter players, more experienced dmen etc.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
no one is suggesting keeping that. theyre sugesting using it outside of skilled top 6 forwards. better goaltending, gritter players, more experienced dmen etc.
I don’t think jettisoning Bratt for bottom six players makes them a better team. And I don’t know why you’d invest big money in goaltending watching the goalies carrying teams right now. Sinking money into a guy like Helleybuck is would be horrific.

They have three good defenseman signed long-term with Hughes/Nemec/Bahl in the frame. I don’t think the d-core is very concerning at all.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
imagine you pay 8x8.5m for a no show in the playoffs
or 11.6m for a complete no show in the playoffs

as a rangers fan you should be well aware of this

he is an expert on everything. especially on hiding when things go against his team.
Literally no Ranger would disagree with you and most want him off the team.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Fitzgerald said they had an 8 year offer on the table during the playoffs. Not sure what the hold up with this guy is.
I'm not a scientist but it's probably the amount of money being offered. 8 year deals are only attractive if you're getting paid. Maybe they are offering Bratt 8 x $7-7.5 or something like that and he isn't down.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Fitzgerald said they had an 8 year offer on the table during the playoffs. Not sure what the hold up with this guy is.
Have a feeling if Bratt doesn't sign soon/before the draft he's outta here. Don't think Fitz waits anymore.

I'm sure the deal is fair and not a low ball offer (8 X 6)...granted Bratt may want to wait for the cap to go up, just not sure if Fitz wants to keep doing this same song and dance with him.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I'm not a scientist but it's probably the amount of money being offered. 8 year deals are only attractive if you're getting paid. Maybe they are offering Bratt 8 x $7-7.5 or something like that and he isn't down.
Wouldn’t that be more of an accountants field? No one is going to ask a scientist for their take on this contract anyway.

Reactions: Lateralous

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
You don’t have to be an expert on any team to count, but if the team signs Meier and Bratt to near market value on long term deals do you not see the potential problem of having like 6 guys making 6 plus and then having to figure out Hughes and Mercer who’s an RFA in 2024?

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
You don’t have to be an expert on any team to count, but if the team signs Meier and Bratt to near market value on long term deals do you not see the potential problem of having like 6 guys making 6 plus and then having to figure out Hughes and Mercer who’s an RFA in 2024?

It’s just impressive you’re in every single mainboard Devils thread flexing your “knowledge.” Then moving the goalposts or not responding when someone offers a rebuttal.

Reactions: HBK27

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
You mean all two threads?

It’s just impressive you’re in every single mainboard Devils thread flexing your “knowledge.” Then moving the goalposts or not responding when someone offers a rebuttal.
Not sure what you’re referring to. My point stands that signing Bratt and Meier to long term contracts are going to be a financial problem in 3 years when the team has to deal with Hughes and Mercer.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
You mean all two threads?

Not sure what you’re referring to. My point stands that signing Bratt and Meier to long term contracts are going to be a financial problem in 3 years when the team has to deal with Hughes and Mercer.

Be sure to air your concerns to Fitzgerald. I’m sure he’s completely unaware of their cap situation and just blindly throwing contract offers around.

• Haha
Reactions: SJinNewJersey

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Be sure to air your concerns to Fitzgerald. I’m sure he’s completely unaware of their cap situation and just blindly throwing contract offers around.
You’re acting like GMs don’t do this all the time. Keep the band together while the team is hot and worry about the repercussions down the road. Vegas is doing it, sharks tried it.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
You’re acting like GMs don’t do this all the time. Keep the band together while the team is hot and worry about the repercussions down the road. Vegas is doing it, sharks tried it.

Wow, teams go all in to try to win the Stanley Cup by keeping their core together. What a revelation!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad