LeBrun: Devils have made 8 year offer to Jesper Bratt - Meier next on Devils agenda

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Devils fans are gonna be mad he’s taking up valuable cap in a couple years when he has another no show playoffs.

Too soft.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
I’m confident things work out either way, but I do hope they get a little bit of a bargain on bratt. He’s right to hold out for what he’s worth, I just hope it doesn’t shake the team up down the line.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Devils are not set up to sign both of Bratt and Meier to big money long term deals. They want to have it all but the cap isn't going to allow it right now. They can probably do one, but not both or it will gut their depth and not allow for raises for a guy like Mercer who's gonna need a big one after next year.

Hughes - $8 x 5
Nico - $7.25 x 4
Palat - $6 x 4 - NMC
Dougie - $9 x 5 - NMC
Marino - $4.4 x 4
Sieg - $3.4 x 5
Vanacek - $3.4 x 2

All of those deals are fine and you wouldn't/couldn't move them. It's just the Devils have already allocated good money to a bunch of players. They've spread it out so it's not like the Leafs with huge contracts to only 4-5 players but to sign Bratt and Meier to market value or near market value deals for the long term would make things pretty tough. Maybe the best thing is to sign one to a long term deal and the other to a 2-3 year deal and renegotiate when the cap jumps up in a couple seasons.

In all fairness, Palat's & Hamilton's NMC switches to a modified NTC after the next two seasons, which is when Luke will be due a new contract. Not a ton of flexibility as it's only a 10 team trade list, but at least makes it possible to move them.

I'm not a scientist but it's probably the amount of money being offered. 8 year deals are only attractive if you're getting paid. Maybe they are offering Bratt 8 x $7-7.5 or something like that and he isn't down.

Money is surely the main factor, but a lot else goes into it such as how the contract is structured (signing bonuses versus salary, more/less money up front) and NMC/NTC - the latter of which the Devils likely want to be able to have the flexibility to move Bratt down the line if they need to for cap reasons and/or if he doesn't improve in the playoffs.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Not sure how my response was moving the goalposts at all. But sure.
First you claim I’m acting like some kind of devils expert because I expressed concern that having so many long term expensive contracts would come back to bite them in the ass. Then when I explained that you turned it into “oh no. The team is going for it.” I never argued going for it was a bad move, just the repercussions down the road may be hard.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
What other goals did he score to help the Devils advance.....<crickets>
You mean besides the goal that effectively ended game 7 (and the Rangers season)?

Funny how concerned you are about a guy who ended your season. Coincidence? He played fine, our problem was our terrible defense (mostly Hamilton and Graves). But I appreciate your concerns.

Doesn't make him wrong here. Bratt had a disappointing playoffs
He was fine. He created a lot of chances, just ran into some hot goaltending and had some poor puck luck. Goaltenders saved 24/24 of his shots, many of them high danger chances.

His 5v5 on ice sh% was 4.35%. His xG% was 66%, that's extremely good.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
He was fine. He created a lot of chances, just ran into some hot goaltending and had some poor puck luck. Goaltenders saved 24/24 of his shots, many of them high danger chances.

I don't think he was fine, you expect much more from the 1st line winger (and let's be real, Bratt is going to be paid like one). The Devils were missing the playoffs before this year, which makes the sample size of Bratt's play-off performance quite small but I'm definitely worried that, while being good on feasting on bad teams during the regular season, he may not be able to provide that offense against top notch opposition in the play-offs.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
"I wonder why Bratt didn't score a bunch these past playoffs??? He must have been bad"

Meanwhile at 5v5:
1686238212616.png

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
You mean after he set up the OT GWG in game 3 vs the Rangers that ultimately changed the momentum in the series and sent them golfing?
an 8 year deal based on one play?

i think their concern is more to do with bratts production almost falling by half once the playoffs started.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
built like the leafs in the sense they are a very soft team built largely around regular seasons success. they are also both very top6 forward heavy and light on defense and goaltending. you are right that nj did much better on contracts

leafs did win a round this year, same as the devils. the results are the same but the leafs did put up more of a fight than the devils in the 2nd round, one goal games vs lopsided losses.
It's hard to be so wrong man. There's no comparison with Toronto. This is Jersey's first season out of a rebuild.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You mean besides the goal that effectively ended game 7 (and the Rangers season)?

Funny how concerned you are about a guy who ended your season. Coincidence? He played fine, our problem was our terrible defense (mostly Hamilton and Graves). But I appreciate your concerns.

Keep thinking he was fine when most of your board was all over his playoff performance lmao. One goal in the playoffs after a 32 goal season. Hoping you sign a non-playoff performer like that to a juicy 8 year deal.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

I wouldn't be worried about him long term in the playoffs or anything...I don't necessarily agree with those who say that he can't play in the post season (too small of a sample), but it's okay to also just say that he was disappointing in the playoffs. Because of the small sample size that you run into during the playoffs, you're going to be subject to some pretty wide variances, so really the results are ultimately what you get judged on. During the regular season if he has a stretch of bad luck, you know it's going to come back somewhere. Have "bad luck" in the playoffs and your season over. Have enough stretches of "bad luck" in the playoffs, and it looks like you can't perform there. Too early to say that definitively about Bratt right now due to the sample size, but it's also okay to say that what was ultimately produced was disappointing.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Keep thinking he was fine when most of your board was all over his playoff performance lmao. One goal in the playoffs after a 32 goal season. Hoping you sign a non-playoff performer like that to a juicy 8 year deal.
Will be well worth it if he makes a habit out of ending the Rangers season.

I wouldn't be worried about him long term in the playoffs or anything...I don't necessarily agree with those who say that he can't play in the post season (too small of a sample), but it's okay to also just say that he was disappointing in the playoffs. Because of the small sample size that you run into during the playoffs, you're going to be subject to some pretty wide variances, so really the results are ultimately what you get judged on. During the regular season if he has a stretch of bad luck, you know it's going to come back somewhere. Have "bad luck" in the playoffs and your season over. Have enough stretches of "bad luck" in the playoffs, and it looks like you can't perform there. Too early to say that definitively about Bratt right now due to the sample size, but it's also okay to say that what was ultimately produced was disappointing.
Everyone is going to have disappointing production when the opposing goalies save 96% of the shots your team generates at 5v5...

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Will be well worth it if he makes a habit out of ending the Rangers season.

Everyone is going to have disappointing production when the opposing goalies save 96% of the shots your team generates at 5v5...
Yea, that HUGE goal to make it 4-0 with 3 minutes left really did us in. What a clutch player!

Reactions: Lateralous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad