LeBrun: Devils have made 8 year offer to Jesper Bratt - Meier next on Devils agenda

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
It's tough.
Bratt got 32 goals this season.

Cap is going up a lot in 1 or 2 years. Bratt essentially has 1 big contract to sign for his life. I can see why he is holding out.

I probably would say though to him to accept an offer with 8.5 x 8 though.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
It's tough.
Bratt got 32 goals this season.

Cap is going up a lot in 1 or 2 years. Bratt essentially has 1 big contract to sign for his life. I can see why he is holding out.

I probably would say though to him to accept an offer with 8.5 x 8 though.

Problem is he is basically a rich mans Kapanen. Solid tools and can contribute in a meaningful way to a teams success but also his flaws detract so much from his benefits you aren't sure what to do. A guy who can be on the top line 1 game and the 4th line/healthy scratched the next depending on his confidence and such at that time.

8 years is massively risky for this guy. At his best, he is a solid piece to have but there is a chance he runs out his welcome as he did at times already this season and you have a problem on your hands.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Problem is he is basically a rich mans Kapanen. Solid tools and can contribute in a meaningful way to a teams success but also his flaws detract so much from his benefits you aren't sure what to do. A guy who can be on the top line 1 game and the 4th line/healthy scratched the next depending on his confidence and such at that time.

8 years is massively risky for this guy. At his best, he is a solid piece to have but there is a chance he runs out his welcome as he did at times already this season and you have a problem on your hands.
What in the hell are you talking about?

Reactions: Blackjack

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Reactions: Blackjack

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
that doesnt let him off the hook
It's not meant to "let him off the hook", it's meant to show that his lack of production isn't a result of him not generating chances, and therefore shouldn't be a concern going forward.

i think their concern is more to do with bratts production almost falling by half once the playoffs started.
If he wasn't creating a chances, it would make sense to be concerned. But that wasn't the case

Reactions: bossram

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Is Bratt a product of Hughes? I mean, he's got 2 consecutive 70 point seasons. That doesn't necessarily scream "rich man's Kapanen" unless you mean Sami Kapanen.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Bratt doesn't want to do an 8 year deal so he signs for 5x7.25
Meier does cash in and gets 8x8.5

Just what I'm thinking right now.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Yes, the team that's made the playoffs for the first time in a while and made the second round is exactly the same as the most famous playoff flameouts of the past decade.

Sure.
built similar. absolutely.

once you are able to see it it's hard to ignore.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
It's not meant to "let him off the hook", it's meant to show that his lack of production isn't a result of him not generating chances, and therefore shouldn't be a concern going forward.

If he wasn't creating a chances, it would make sense to be concerned. But that wasn't the case

the large drop in actually production is bad. its a lot harder to get points from the perimeter. you need guys to go into the corners and the slot come playoffs.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Bratt looked soft as a pancake in the playoffs, but so did Meier. This is like betting on two limp horses.

There is no way you watched the devils in the playoffs and thought Timo looked soft. He did get crushed by trouba, so I get how that wasn't great optically, but he definitely wasn't soft

Reactions: Lateralous

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I'll throw my little 2 cents in. This is coming from a Canes fan who admittedly knows little about the ends and outs of the Devils organization.

This is part of what Carolina fans were trying to warn you guys about when you signed Hamilton. When you're rebuilding, having a high amount of cap space is an illusion, because eventually all the players you draft are eventually going to need money. That's why for example Colorado didn't try to acquire a bunch of big names when they still had guys like Makar and Mikko on ELC's. And not only did the signing of guys like Hamilton, Palat, and to lesser extent Tatar and Bernier take away that salary, but it also set the precedent of how the organization signs deals. So to me as an outsider, it is the John Tavares Effect to a lesser extent, because if I'm either of Bratt or Meier, why would I accept less money then I'm worth when the team brought in UFA's for more money then they're worth?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I'll throw my little 2 cents in. This is coming from a Canes fan who admittedly knows little about the ends and outs of the Devils organization.

This is part of what Carolina fans were trying to warn you guys about when you signed Hamilton. When you're rebuilding, having a high amount of cap space is an illusion, because eventually all the players you draft are eventually going to need money. That's why for example Colorado didn't try to acquire a bunch of big names when they still had guys like Makar and Mikko on ELC's. And not only did the signing of guys like Hamilton, Palat, and to lesser extent Tatar and Bernier take away that salary, but it also set the precedent of how the organization signs deals. So to me as an outsider, it is the John Tavares Effect to a lesser extent, because if I'm either of Bratt or Meier, why would I accept less money then I'm worth when the team brought in UFA's for more money then they're worth?
You should have stopped talking after your first sentence, at least it only had one glaring mistake in it.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022

i think they regret it now but if you take hamilton off the blue line there is a large glaring hole.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Based on current scoring he would get 1M per 10points (league's general standard) so 8M.

If you add a slight increased cost for committing so long term as the Cap increases and the potential for some increase in performance then the deal probably looks like:

8X9M incoming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad