GDT: Devils @ Flyers - 7 P.M. - Devils TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That was definitely the worst of the preseason games. Most of the team seemed flat. Top pair D was meh. Those other 4 D were bad, but that was expected. The bottom 6 was all career ahlers, so them doing nothing was expected. I did not like the top 6 tonight. But I also always wonder what the actual effort level is in games like these for guys who have spots locked up.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
That was definitely the worst of the preseason games. Most of the team seemed flat. Top pair D was meh. Those other 4 D were bad, but that was expected. The bottom 6 was all career ahlers, so them doing nothing was expected. I did not like the top 6 tonight. But I also always wonder what the actual effort level is in games like these for guys who have spots locked up.
Most guys just try to get into a groove it seems

Reactions: Guadana

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Thompson would also be put on waivers if he doesn't make the roster. The Devils should take the best player and at this point Holtz has not shown to be better than either at this point.
Tyce Thompson had 7 goals and 26 points in 56 AHL games last year. What are we talking about here

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
time for a corned beef sandwich and a pipe
1696125428120.png

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

effort level is enough to get some reps in....pace yourself really.

i've been there when i played my soccer ... exhibition games preseason were glorified scrimmages but we made sure to play these matches vs non league teams (still had to be sanctioned with refs and all) but it was only 1 or 2 matches and a 'warmup' for the season...

play hard but 'dont kill yourself out there' .....what do you have to prove. sounds like a bad philosophy and example for other players but really it's not,

no one can go full tilt for preseason, all regular season and all playoffs..... it's a marathon, not a sprint as "they say"

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Tyce Thompson had 7 goals and 26 points in 56 AHL games last year. What are we talking about here
He also put up 15 points in 16 games the year before and missed a ton of time due to injury. It also isn't as much a ringing endorsement of Thompson as it is a criticism of Holtz's play.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Thompson would also be put on waivers if he doesn't make the roster. The Devils should take the best player and at this point Holtz has not shown to be better than either at this point.

Thompson is a 4th liner at best. Holtz has to be a top 6 player to be effective IMO.

Not to mention, Holtz looks MUCH better than last year. I don't even think that can be argued.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Thompson is a 4th liner at best. Holtz has to be a top 6 player to be effective IMO.

Not to mention, Holtz looks MUCH better than last year. I don't even think that can be argued.
Why does he have to be a top 6 player to be effective? And what about his play has earned him a top 6 spot over Toffoli or Mercer? Shouldn't a team with cup aspirations care more about adding a player to the roster that plays a solid all around game, rather than someone who's only effective when he's shooting the puck?

I also don't think he looks much better than last year. He's slightly faster but his puck handling and decision making looks even worse. He's been useless with the puck on his stick with any bit of pressure and is invisible off the puck.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He also put up 15 points in 16 games the year before and missed a ton of time due to injury. It also isn't as much a ringing endorsement of Thompson as it is a criticism of Holtz's play.
And a pretty unnecessary one in a game where he scored a goal and the whole team looked off. There is no real competition between these players.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
And a pretty unnecessary one in a game where he scored a goal and the whole team looked off. There is no real competition between these players.
He didn't look good last game either and has yet to look good against NHL level competition. I want nothing more than for Holtz to succeed and live up to his draft status but we're in year 4 and he is still making the same mistakes he's been criticized of the past couple years.

Also why is there no real competition between these players? What has Holtz done to separate himself from the competition? Because from what I've seen so far, both Thompson and Foote have played better than Holtz this preseason.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Why does he have to be a top 6 player to be effective? And what about his play has earned him a top 6 spot over Toffoli or Mercer? Shouldn't a team with cup aspirations care more about adding a player to the roster that plays a solid all around game, rather than someone who's only effective when he's shooting the puck?

I also don't think he looks much better than last year. He's slightly faster but his puck handling and decision making looks even worse. He's been useless with the puck on his stick with any bit of pressure and is invisible off the puck.

I don't even know what you're inferring here? You really think that Holtz will play on the 4th line? Good luck with that. Its pretty clear what his skillset is, and who he should play with to be an effective player.

Holtz has done much more than "shoot the puck" in this preseason so far. He has made plays in the neutral zone and seems to be thinking the game a bit better.

I think Thompson is fine but he is 24 years old and still hasn't broken into the league yet. He is almost certainly your classic AAAA player.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
He didn't look good last game either and has yet to look good against NHL level competition. I want nothing more than for Holtz to succeed and live up to his draft status but we're in year 4 and he is still making the same mistakes he's been criticized of the past couple years.

Also why is there no real competition between these players? What has Holtz done to separate himself from the competition? Because from what I've seen so far, both Thompson and Foote have played better than Holtz this preseason.
Foote's most likely going to be on the team (chance of being claimed due to name/draft position, big body) with Bastian still recovering from injury. Thompson would probably pass through waivers as a lot of teams have guys like him on their team and the Devils probably wouldn't mind too much if he got claimed bc he has a one way deal,

The entire Hischier line didn't have a good night -- even Lindy said as much as in the presser but he also followed that up with the previous game was really good for them. And for us we don't see them in practice which probably holds more weight

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

I just don’t agree, whatsoever, that Holtz has looked bad individually, or that the line looked bad the last time they played. They didn’t play that well this game — oh well. It’s still very clear that his skating has improved considerably, one of the major criticisms of his game.

This isn’t a player that needs to drive play, he needs to get to scoring areas and finish. If that line stays together, that’s two puck dominant play drivers. The biggest problem in his short stint last year was his inability to generate shots.

Foote has looked slow and pedestrian this preseason, I’m not quite sure what you’ve been watching. What has Holtz done to be ahead of these guys? Be considerably more talented and productive in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad