News: Devils file for club-elected arbitration with Timo Meier

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
Honest question... Was Meier a good fit with NJ??

He was very good fit, but he is not what people overrate him to be. He scores on slower pace than Jesper Bratt, so he is not worth more money than him. He had good stats in SJ, because there was more puck around at higher quality chances. He is not gonna have that here, we have good offensive players.

NJD manager ain't good at all. When he did that trade I did not like it as he gave up way too many things for what could be a year or 2 for a decent forward. If the rumor is true that they offered him more than 9M than the GM is not smart.

NJ can win a cup with the current team, the problem in the playoffs was not goal tending or playing D. The problem was not scoring from the back in the play offs.

NJ has 15th most offensive D in the league in regular season, so there is work that is needed there, hence I wanted Severson to stay. You can shut down all you want the other team, if you can't score you can't win. This is not the 90's.

Meier is good, but you can't build a team and make offers on the name itself. It has to be here and now with current stats. Meier is 6M per year at best, or I'll find someone else.

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
He was very good fit, but he is not what people overrate him to be. He scores on slower pace than Jesper Bratt, so he is not worth more money than him. He had good stats in SJ, because there was more puck around at higher quality chances. He is not gonna have that here, we have good offensive players.

NJD manager ain't good at all. When he did that trade I did not like it as he gave up way too many things for what could be a year or 2 for a decent forward. If the rumor is true that they offered him more than 9M than the GM is not smart.

NJ can win a cup with the current team, the problem in the playoffs was not goal tending or playing D. The problem was not scoring from the back in the play offs.

NJ has 15th most offensive D in the league in regular season, so there is work that is needed there, hence I wanted Severson to stay. You can shut down all you want the other team, if you can't score you can't win. This is not the 90's.

Meier is good, but you can't build a team and make offers on the name itself. It has to be here and now with current stats. Meier is 6M per year at best, or I'll find someone else.
There's more to hockey than goals and assists.

Reactions: Zacha37

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

I would imagine he would get alot more than 6 mill per?.. I would assume 8ish per year long term... But I could be wrong

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Meier just scored 40 goals… Clueless if you think that’s worth 6 mil at best

Also on the offensive D part and needing Sevo to stay. We’re going have Dougie, Luke, and Nemec. I think we’ll be fine at adding offense from the backend. Definitely needed to keep a 29 year old 2nd pair D at top pair money for the next 8 years…

Reactions: My3Sons

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
I'll guess it will be 70 Mio, so 8x8.75. Would be disappointed if the numbers were much higher. 8x8 is not realistic though...

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Selfish homer fan question: Does this type of situation also apply to the Canucks with Pettersson next off season (reducing his QO by 15% if he doesn't sign an extension/is taken to arbitration)?
Arbitrator would probably award a higher salary with Pettersson anyway but just wondering.

Pettersson signed after the CBA amendment in 2020 so his QO offer is quite low. It’s now the lesser of your final year salary or 120% of your AAV. $8.8m for Pettersson. So very little benefit for Vancouver to bring him to arbitration in the first window because he’ll very easily clear that QO.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

The points on the backend are true, however NJD also created the highest high dancer chances, and chances off the rush. They scored on a pretty good %. So while the backend didn't produce, a good portion of their offense leading to goals didn't come from sustained cycles, which might have taken offense from the backend.

hE wAnTs To

Hey Timo, we really like you and want you to stay a NJD.
"Thanks. I like you guys. I want to stay".
Can you tell your agent to come down from his number on an 8 year deal?
"I'll talk to him... I really want the deal, but you know, agents gonna' agent."

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yeah, I'm not buying the he wants an 8 year deal all of a sudden.

If he wanted an 8 year deal, the Devils wouldn't file for arbitration. Filing for arbitration basically gives you an early deadline - once the arbitrator announces his decision - you can no longer negotiate with that player other than to accept or decline the amount.

If you're scared he's going to accept his qualifying offer, then he doesn't want an 8 year deal in the first place.

I'm sure the Devils want an 8 year deal, and Meier will oblige if he get's paid enough - but not buying he wants to be there for 8 years.

• Haha
Reactions: AusDev

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ

If he wanted an 8 year deal, the Devils wouldn't file for arbitration. Filing for arbitration basically gives you an early deadline - once the arbitrator announces his decision - you can no longer negotiate with that player other than to accept or decline the amount.

If you're scared he's going to accept his qualifying offer, then he doesn't want an 8 year deal in the first place.

I'm sure the Devils want an 8 year deal, and Meier will oblige if he get's paid enough - but not buying he wants to be there for 8 years.
Oh yes I bet you, random internet poster, is more clued in than team management.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Oh yes I bet you, random internet poster, is more clued in than team management.

Yes, I'm sure the teams management will publicly announce he wants to leave. I'm sure that would help their trade value.

They basically said what they had to say, but their actions don't match their words.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

1.) it was always known that Meier was looking to cash in on a long term deal…not sure how that’s “all of a sudden.”

2.) not filing for team elected arb is just poor risk management. Of course both sides don’t want to get there, but it’s a fail safe if they cannot agree to a long term deal.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
1.) it was always known that Meier was looking to cash in on a long term deal…not sure how that’s “all of a sudden.”

2.) not filing for team elected arb is just poor risk management. Of course both sides don’t want to get there, but it’s a fail safe if they cannot agree to a long term deal.

1.) I'm sure he was - I'm not sure he was with NJ.

2.) It's not really a fail safe as it has consequences. You now have less than a month to extend him before he has a contract straight to UFA instead of multiple months.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
1.) I'm sure he was - I'm not sure he was with NJ.

2.) It's not really a fail safe as it has consequences. You now have less than a month to extend him before he has a contract straight to UFA instead of multiple months.

1.) you base that on what, random poster on the internet?

2.) you do realize there’s no arbitration date set, right? Not sure where you’re getting “less than a month” other than just making it up to try to help your narrative. Most arbitration dates are set for the very end of July or beginning of August. It’s good risk management.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Interesting that it is based on final year salary and not cap, especially given how his contract was structured. Almost like his agent knew it would end up here.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
1.) you base that on what, random poster on the internet?

2.) you do realize there’s no arbitration date set, right? Not sure where you’re getting “less than a month” other than just making it up to try to help your narrative. Most arbitration dates are set for the very end of July or beginning of August. It’s good risk management.

I base it on the fact he's going to arbitration. When was the last time a team elected arbitration with a player who wants to sign an 8 year contract with them? Especially because in arbitration you need to argue the player is not worth what they're seeking - seems counterproductive to a long term contract.

Sorry, a maximum of 6 weeks - better?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

I dont think this is correct.

The arbitration takes the power of the qualifying offer out of the equation. If NJ offered the QO, Meier should take it immediately. 10 million plus the likely 7 year 9 million deal he would get on the open market would be 73 million. he might even get an 8 year deal from NJ even after the QO giving up upwards of 80+ million.

Take the QO offer off the table and now Meier has to wrestle with taking 8.5 million by the arb (i dont see im getting more) and then a new deal on the market or from NJ.

of course he is risking a poor season / injury with the QO or the 1 year arb deal but with 10 million it should be worth it. That 8.5 million makes you think you should just take the 8 year deal because the AAV in his 8 year deal is likely around 8.5 anyways. Why risk injury when you likely arent getting more than 4 million total on the open market by getting the arb deal plus a 7 x 9 deal?

it seems silly that 1.5 million difference in a one year payout would make this much difference but it likely does.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I dont think this is correct.

The arbitration takes the power of the qualifying offer out of the equation. If NJ offered the QO, Meier should take it immediately. 10 million plus the likely 7 year 9 million deal he would get on the open market would be 73 million. he might even get an 8 year deal from NJ even after the QO giving up upwards of 80+ million.

Take the QO offer off the table and now Meier has to wrestle with taking 8.5 million by the arb (i dont see im getting more) and then a new deal on the market or from NJ.

of course he is risking a poor season / injury with the QO or the 1 year arb deal but with 10 million it should be worth it. That 8.5 million makes you think you should just take the 8 year deal because the AAV in his 8 year deal is likely around 8.5 anyways. Why risk injury when you likely arent getting more than 4 million total on the open market by getting the arb deal plus a 7 x 9 deal?

it seems silly that 1.5 million difference in a one year payout would make this much difference but it likely does.

The issue you're ignoring is that if it does go to arbitration, and the Devils belittle his play to the point where the NHL arbitrator awards him the lowest possible amount - I doubt he signs in NJ.

The team basically argues that the player is not good enough to warrant his salary, and he doesn't deserve the money he wants. It's not good if you actually plan on signing the player.

Look at CBJ for example, they choose to qualify him instead of arbitrating him after his bad season - because they wanted to sign him long term in the future and not sour that relationship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad