News: Devils file for club-elected arbitration with Timo Meier

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He was -1 through the playoffs, the best rating of any regular devils defenseman, despite a 950 PDO. What's your excuse for that?

This obsession is pretty pathetic. It's also pretty odd to be so obsessed with a player who you clearly don't watch. He was our best defenseman in the playoffs.

You lost the trade, deal with it.

He was -6 at 5v5.

Not obsessed. Devils fan brought Marino up not me :)

I would redo that trade every day of the week. Regardless of if the Penguins make the playoffs again or not, Marino and Jared McCann were big reasons we lost in a three year span. Gotta move on.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is exactly what I was thinking. I mean, was this surprising?

From New Jersey's standpoint, I don't even think the 10M vs 8.5 is the biggest concern, it is just a bonus in a worst case scenario outcome. The last thing they really want is Meier signing the very tempting 1 year QO. This move definitely increases Meiers incentive to sign long-term now.

If I am Meier and I have a 10M QO on the table, I am signing it and then negotiating a new 8 year deal on Jan. 1st that would take me to 35, and I'd have all the leverage.
$8.5 mill is the minimum he would get. Based off his numbers don’t expect an arbitrator to drop him down by the maximum %. Should it go to arbitration it would most likely be in the $9’s.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He was -6 at 5v5.

Not obsessed. Devils fan brought Marino up not me :)

I would redo that trade every day of the week. Regardless of if the Penguins make the playoffs again or not, Marino and Jared McCann were big reasons we lost in a three year span. Gotta move on.
Yet he was -1 rating. I guess that doesn't matter.

If you bothered to watch, you'd have seen he was our best defenseman. He can't force his goalie to make saves.

Reactions: My3Sons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yet he was -1 rating. I guess that doesn't matter.

If you bothered to watch, you'd have seen he was our best defenseman. He can't force his goalie to make saves.

Empty net goals gave him +s.

Weird how he can’t force his goalie to make saves in 500+ minutes of 5v5 ice time.

I did watch the Devils both series. About exactly what I expected from playoff Marino.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Rather have Ty Smith in the minors than Marino playing 20 minutes a night in the playoffs.

41% GF% in 500+ 5v5 minutes in the playoffs over four seasons, enjoy!

No, a lot of fans were saying it'd be stupid for Meier not to settle for a lower contract because of term, but my point always has been Meier structured his contract in a way to get max value just like Tkachuk.
Lol take your L and move on. It is VERY strange how you keep hating on John Marino.

It makes a lot of people question if you have a vendetta against him or if something personal is going on. It's VERY bizarre. I won't speculate.

No one would take Ty Smith over Marino.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
$8.5 mill is the minimum he would get. Based off his numbers don’t expect an arbitrator to drop him down by the maximum %. Should it go to arbitration it would most likely be in the $9’s.
That further supports my argument that the arbitration filing is less about the money and more about increasing the odds of a longterm contract agreement and an overall much better situation for the devils.

No matter how much he signs for, if it is eight years, the last year or two are probably going to be ugly. If he signed his QO, and then negotiated an 8 year extension, the eighth year would have him playing at 35. Getting him signed to eight years now means his eighth year would be at age 34. That is a pretty big deal down the road.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Lol take your L and move on. It is VERY strange how you keep hating on John Marino.

It makes a lot of people question if you have a vendetta against him or if something personal is going on. It's VERY bizarre. I won't speculate.

No one would take Ty Smith over Marino.

Most Penguins fans that don’t subscribe to the altar of xGA are fine with the trade.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Honest question... Was Meier a good fit with NJ??

I admittedly don't watch many NJ games except in playoffs and he didn't look like he did with SJ. Stats look pretty average too with NJ
So good he was 0 pts in 7 games and the other team still felt the need to constantly attack and decapitate him. He'll be fine and he'll sign.

This is just the team taking 10M QO off the table. Timo could be a dick about it, but he's re-signing.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Empty net goals gave him +s.

Weird how he can’t force his goalie to make saves in 500+ minutes of 5v5 ice time.

I did watch the Devils both series. About exactly what I expected from playoff Marino.
You act like 500 minutes is a big sample size lol. It's 29 games haha....

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
To suggest that Ty Smith is better than John Marino is bizarre. I don't care about XGA.

I and others use my eye balls and I wish Ty the best.

You have a personal vendetta against the guy and it is extremely bizarre and I won't speculate why.

Please point to my argument of Ty Smjth being a better player than John Marino.

We were happy to get out of the contract. He was a cap dump and we at least got back some value.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Please point to my argument of Ty Smjth being a better player than John Marino.

We were happy to get out of the contract. He was a cap dump and we at least got back some value.
"Rather have Ty Smith in the minors than Marino playing 20 minutes a night in the playoffs."

This. Come on man. Not saying Marino is Makar or some elite #1 D, but come on.

And who is we? What other pen fans agree with you...ever on this?

I give you props...you're good at sucking people into your argument on Marino. Think we're about done here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
"Rather have Ty Smith in the minors than Marino playing 20 minutes a night in the playoffs."

This. Come on man. Not saying Marino is Makar or some elite #1 D, but come on.

And who is we? What other pen fans agree with you...ever on this?

I give you props...you're good at sucking people into your argument on Marino. Think we're about done here.

Yes, I’d rather have Marino off the team then pay him another 4.4 mil and have that contract as it gets more immovable. Dude’s a scrub.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That further supports my argument that the arbitration filing is less about the money and more about increasing the odds of a longterm contract agreement and an overall much better situation for the devils.

No matter how much he signs for, if it is eight years, the last year or two are probably going to be ugly. If he signed his QO, and then negotiated an 8 year extension, the eighth year would have him playing at 35. Getting him signed to eight years now means his eighth year would be at age 34. That is a pretty big deal down the road.
Nj needed to give him a QO to retain his rights. Not going to be that much of a difference. But any potential savings if it gets to that point is better than none.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Yes, I’d rather have Marino off the team then pay him another 4.4 mil and have that contract as it gets more immovable. Dude’s a scrub.
I’m not sure I’ve seen a person apart from you on here that would agree with this. Anyone who wasn’t sure about Marino before but watched his season and particularly playoffs with the devils would probably say he’s at least a solid top 4 defensmen. People were literally raving about him in playoffs. Not just devils fans.

Like it’s probably as close to universally accepted at this point as it could be that the Marino trade has been phenomenal for the Devils. Even if there’s pens fans who don’t have an issue with the trade and didn’t think it was working with the pens, 95% could admit that it’s turned out great for the devils. Look up John Marino and you’ll just see a ton of articles on how good he’s been for the devils and how good that trades been for the devils. But oh you think he’s a scrub. You’re quite possibly the only person alive who still thinks that. And it’s only because you can’t admit to being wrong about a player really.

He was our best defensmen in the playoffs without a doubt.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Nj needed to give him a QO to retain his rights. Not going to be that much of a difference. But any potential savings if it gets to that point is better than none.
I think we may be having a bit of a miscommunication here. What I meant is that they are avoiding the QO altogether by filing for arbitration so that there is no chance Meier signs his QO (which was likely never tendered)

Basically, Team elected arbitration replaces the QO. Jersey does not qualify him but retains his rights by filing for the binding team arbitration.

This buys them time and prevents Meier from going UFA if there is no contract agreed upon before free agency opens. The only downside is that Jersey will be bound to the Arbitration ruling and can't walk away, but since they were never going to let Meier walk, there is no downside :naughty:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I’m not sure I’ve seen a person apart from you on here that would agree with this. Anyone who wasn’t sure about Marino before but watched his season and particularly playoffs with the devils would probably say he’s at least a solid top 4 defensmen. People were literally raving about him in playoffs. Not just devils fans.

Like it’s probably as close to universally accepted at this point as it could be that the Marino trade has been phenomenal for the Devils. Even if there’s pens fans who don’t have an issue with the trade and didn’t think it was working with the pens, 95% could admit that it’s turned out great for the devils. Look up John Marino and you’ll just see a ton of articles on how good he’s been for the devils and how good that trades been for the devils. But oh you think he’s a scrub. You’re quite possibly the only person alive who still thinks that. And it’s only because you can’t admit to being wrong about a player really.

He was our best defensmen in the playoffs without a doubt.

I’m not. But, happy he’s gone so we are both winners!

Lots of Penguins fans are over him, ZAR, Simon, Blueger and the other “99% defensive war” guys. Big part of our failures in the playoffs.

BTW one of your own writers has talked at lengths about Marino being overrated.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I’m not. But, happy he’s gone so we are both winners!

Lots of Penguins fans are over him, ZAR, Simon, Blueger and the other “99% defensive war” guys. Big part of our failures in the playoffs.

BTW one of your own writers has talked at lengths about Marino being overrated.

Im seeing the flash tomorrow. Have a good one!

Really excited for it.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Most Penguins fans that don’t subscribe to the altar of xGA are fine with the trade.
Speaking of actual goals, I guess Marino was a better postseason player for the Pens than Letang and Dumoulin? Because his GF numbers were waaay better in the 3 years he was a Penguin:

5v5 Goal Differential, 2019-20 thru 2021-2022
Letang

16GF 22GA
-6 GD 42% GF%

Dumoulin
6GF 9GA
-3 GD 40% GF%

Marino
10GF 11GA
-1 GD 48% GF%

Strange that you were so happy to lose one of the Pens best playoff defenseman for an AHL defenseman (who was young AND on a bargain of a contract).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Speaking of actual goals, I guess Marino was a better postseason player for the Pens than Letang and Dumoulin? Because his GF numbers were waaay better in the 3 years he was a Penguin:

5v5 Goal Differential, 2019-20 thru 2021-2022
Letang

16GF 22GA
-6 GD 42% GF%

Dumoulin
6GF 9GA
-3 GD 40% GF%

Marino
10GF 11GA
-1 GD 48% GF%

Strange that you were so happy to lose one of the Pens best playoff defenseman for an AHL defenseman (who was young AND on a bargain of a contract).

Yes Dumo and Letang have been awful in the playoffs too. I subscribed to us not resigning Letang and have wanted Dumo thrown into the sun for 3 seasons.

Letang / Marino as our RHD in terms of undersized, easily bullied net front D was a huge, huge, huge issue for this team.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
No shock here despite what Devils fans tried to tell me for months.

You don't structure a contract that way and not take full advantage of it.

He's going to sign an extension. Even in the scenario where this ends being like Bratt and it's a one year deal. He will then sign an extension next year. He's not going to UFA. It'd make no sense because he will get more to stay on an 8 year deal than he'd get to go be a UFA and only sign for 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad