News: Devils file for club-elected arbitration with Timo Meier

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Can you qualify someone after electing arbitration? I'm honestly not sure
I'm not really sure. To be honest, I'm not sure why a team would do that? If accepted you potentially screwed yourself and now have to wait until July 1st to negotiate a new contract starting after this 1 year deal. I'd imagine it just cancels out the elected arbitration like a normal agreed contract would., but don't see a team doing that.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I'm not really sure. To be honest, I'm not sure why a team would do that? If accepted you potentially screwed yourself and now have to wait until July 1st to negotiate a new contract starting after this 1 year deal. I'd imagine it just cancels out the elected arbitration like a normal agreed contract would., but don't see a team doing that.

If it makes it to arbitration, yes he would be qualified. However, making it to arbitration basically guarantees a 1 year QO. Arbitration could allow for the QO to be as low as 85% of the QO which would put Meier at 8.5.

But yeah, lots of incentives for both sides not to let it go that far.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If it makes it to arbitration, yes he would be qualified. However, making it to arbitration basically guarantees a 1 year QO. Arbitration could allow for the QO to be as low as 85% of the QO which would put Meier at 8.5.

But yeah, lots of incentives for both sides not to let it go that far.
I'm aware, but I don't think that's what the poster was asking. I think the poster was asking can he be qualified as in accept the 10m after being elected for arbitration. I don't see the point in a team doing that.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
anything above 8.5 AAV and NJ could be an interesting place for the Cap, because Mercer eats any gain next year brings unless it's a 10M+ cap increase.
Mercer is coming off his ELC with no arbitration rights. The Devils also have 2.3M of dead cap coming off the books.

The only impact here for Mercer is that it may force them to go to a bridge rather than a long term deal.. but there's still plenty of flexibility with a player that has zero leverage.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I'm aware, but I don't think that's what the poster was asking. I think the poster was asking can he be qualified as in accept the 10m after being elected for arbitration. I don't see the point in a team doing that.

That makes no sense at all

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Mercer is coming off his ELC with no arbitration rights. The Devils also have 2.3M of dead cap coming off the books.

The only impact here for Mercer is that it may force them to go to a bridge rather than a long term deal.. but there's still plenty of flexibility with a player that has zero leverage.
It definitely gets much more complicated if Mercer doesn't get bridged and will require future players to take discounts. But I don't think you can push that down the line with Luke Hughes and Schmid (especially if Schmid has a good year in 23-24). NJ could decide to part ways with Blackwood and Sharangovich and take on players with lesser talent for less money. But then you have to start worrying about quality depth in your lineup.

Big tradeoffs to figure out. Makes me wonder if it's better for NJ to trade Meier's rights for defensive depth and hope that Holtz can pick up the slack.

I know teams love to ride the Cap limits, and you have to figure that Fitzgerald has a plan in place. But GM's like to give the appearance of a plan without having one, preferring to "Spray and Pray" spending money for this year and dealing with it next summer.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
It definitely gets much more complicated if Mercer doesn't get bridged and will require future players to take discounts. But I don't think you can push that down the line with Luke Hughes and Schmid (especially if Schmid has a good year in 23-24). NJ could decide to part ways with Blackwood and Sharangovich and take on players with lesser talent for less money. But then you have to start worrying about quality depth in your lineup.

Big tradeoffs to figure out. Makes me wonder if it's better for NJ to trade Meier's rights for defensive depth and hope that Holtz can pick up the slack.

I know teams love to ride the Cap limits, and you have to figure that Fitzgerald has a plan in place. But GM's like to give the appearance of a plan without having one, preferring to "Spray and Pray" spending money for this year and dealing with it next summer.
There really is no scenario where it makes sense to trade Meier. Certainly not for defensive depth.. already have a busy blue line with Hamilton, Marino, Siegenthaler, Hughes, Nemec and Bahl under long term team control. You don't trade Meier for someone who will slot in on the 3rd pairing.

The Devils are in win now mode. They'll be signing Meier and then doing whatever it takes to keep the current core together. It helps there really isn't a terrible contract of the bunch, just slight overpayments to Hamilton and Palat.

Schmid is another RFA without arbitration rights. These guys aren't going to be the ones that are difficult to lock up..

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
If (when?) Timo gets signed for 8-years, I'm going to come back to this thread....and LAUGH at the Takes here. Holy crap.

The Devils filing for Arbitration is just buying more time to negotiate with Meier's camp.

That's all this is.

Why are some people here overthinking things?
Because the world can’t handle a new era of Devils domination.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I’m not. But, happy he’s gone so we are both winners!

Lots of Penguins fans are over him, ZAR, Simon, Blueger and the other “99% defensive war” guys. Big part of our failures in the playoffs.

BTW one of your own writers has talked at lengths about Marino being overrated.

You can think he’s overrated which he is by some devils fans while also realizing that he’s a very solid top 4 dman

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If (when?) Timo gets signed for 8-years, I'm going to come back to this thread....and LAUGH at the Takes here. Holy crap.

The Devils filing for Arbitration is just buying more time to negotiate with Meier's camp.

That's all this is.

It was either arbitration or making the QO to retain his rights. NJ isn't going to be getting the max $1.5 mill drop in the pay due for next season. Meier would end up somewhere in the $9's. This would save them some money and cap in the event negotiations go sideways.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
They're probably telling him he can either accept $8M AAV or he can play for another team. Can't be an easy choice if it's anything like that.
8m x 8?

That would be pretty sick for the Devils, fireable offence for the agent.

9.5 x 8 seems good for both parties - just future proof enough to commit to the term, but not a cap buster for the Devils and they get 7 UFA years.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Keep telling yourself that. No one was going to offersheet Meier.

Not only do they never happen, but barely any teams are able to meet the criteria of even being able to.

Telling myself what? That he will get signed??

Ok

And a team like Seattle could absolutely afford the amount needed to entice Meier to sign there.

I do agree that they are few and far between, but to dismiss the thought completely is foolish as well.

That said, Timo will be in NJ for the next 8 years.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Telling myself what? That he will get signed??

Ok

And a team like Seattle could absolutely afford the amount needed to entice Meier to sign there.

I do agree that they are few and far between, but to dismiss the thought completely is foolish as well.

That said, Timo will be in NJ for the next 8 years.
You said they filed for arbitration to prevent an offer sheet - that’s definitely not true. Im sure he’ll sign for 8 years since he said he would, but this has nothing to do w offer sheets.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Meier will be signed by the Devils

This move prevents an OS. That is all

Club-elected arbitration hasn't blocked offer sheets for over a decade now.

This was very simply the Devils taking back some negotiation power by removing Meier's ability to immediately sign his QO when tendered on June 30th. Now, if he wants to force his way to UFA on a 1-year deal.. would have to wait a bit longer and go through arbitration process.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Club-elected arbitration hasn't blocked offer sheets for over a decade now.

This was very simply the Devils taking back some negotiation power by removing Meier's ability to immediately sign his QO when tendered on June 30th. Now, if he wants to force his way to UFA on a 1-year deal.. would have to wait a bit longer and go through arbitration process.
Exactly -- they're just buying a bit of time.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula

That's all this is.

Didn't the team offer something north of $9M per year? What does Meier want? He shouldn't be getting more than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad