News: Devils file for club-elected arbitration with Timo Meier

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So basically Meier is going to get a 1 year, $8.5 million deal if they go through arbitration.

I really feel like the Devils shouldn't want that to be the outcome here.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Honest question... Was Meier a good fit with NJ??

I admittedly don't watch many NJ games except in playoffs and he didn't look like he did with SJ. Stats look pretty average too with NJ

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
So basically Meier is going to get a 1 year, $8.5 million deal if they go through arbitration.

8.5 is the lowest award he can get. Realistically I think the floor is Laine’s 8.7.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Honest question... Was Meier a good fit with NJ??

I admittedly don't watch many NJ games except in playoffs and he didn't look like he did with SJ. Stats look pretty average too with NJ

I think the common perception is that he was a great fit in the locker room, didn’t quite find the on ice chemistry in his short time here … but that’s actually quite common for deadline acquisitions to not really establish that sort of chemistry until they’ve had a chance to go through a training camp with the team.

There were a whole lot of great forwards who didn’t put up great numbers after deadline trades. Meier was far from being the only one.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think the common perception is that he was a great fit in the locker room, didn’t quite find the on ice chemistry in his short time here … but that’s actually quite common for deadline acquisitions to not really establish that sort of chemistry until they’ve had a chance to go through a training camp with the team.

There were a whole lot of great forwards who didn’t put up great numbers after deadline trades. Meier was far from being the only one.
Are fans comfortable giving him a pretty fat contract then?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Meier had to know the Sharks werent going to great for the majority of his contract. So ask for a stupid amount to see if they pay it, if not you know they will trade you. I dont really find that to be news. I do think Meier goes for 8.5 to 9.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I'm not sure I'd call it a formality, it's a deadline for an extension. The club elected arbitration wrinkle was definitely something I missed when the trade discussions were happening. I assume both parties aren't interested in going into that arbitration meeting though and a deal will be worked out. TBD how many years x AAV gets it done.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Looks like Ottawa doing the same with cat if we want to update

Really tough to say. I don't like the idea of giving him like 8 years. If it were like 4 years, 9 million, I'd be totally cool with it.

I just don't know how well his game is going to age and I'm really not super keen on like an 8 year deal for him. I know that likely isn't going to happen though...market is what it is. If you want to keep him, it's going to be long term and it's going to be steep.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Yeah, I think if it goes through, the chances of extending him are pretty much gone. As someone else said, this basically creates a deadline for an extension.

Really tough spot for me because I'm very worried about a 7x9 deal for him. Now, maybe that's just being overly conservative about throwing out a big money deal because there's no guarantee he ages poorly and that only takes him to age 33 or whatever. If he falls apart, it likely doesn't happen until halfway through that new deal, so it's probably not as bad as I'm thinking it could be.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa

I think most reasonable fans hoped when he was acquired he’d get signed long term, and a few months of non-dominant play shouldn’t terribly change that except in the most fickle fans.

We knew when he was acquired what the QO situation was and that it would give him leverage at extension time. I don’t think anyone realistically dreamed he’d lowball himself. He’s going to get the sort of contract a 40 goal scorer on the verge of free agency is going to get from anyone. no other team that might acquire him has any guarantees of either on ice chemistry or locker room chemistry.

Reactions: Forge

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love

I think he fills a hole we have (talented big forward). I think with an offseason, and then more practices/training he'll be a great fit.

Now... the fat contract. He's not a points machine, but he does score goals. It will be interesting to see where he comes in.

And, for the first time in awhile, I can say we are a team on the rise. That certainly can come into play - whereas San Jose is clearly fixing things now. Making slightly less than you want, but being in a good enviornment? That's something that everyday people often do. Of course - some just want that cash. Here is to hoping for the former.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
No shock here despite what Devils fans tried to tell me for months.

You don't structure a contract that way and not take full advantage of it.
Literally nothing changed at all with the Meier situation — they are currently working on a long term contract. Not sure what Devils fans tried to tell you for months other than your John Marino takes were laughably wrong.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
this may be just to block offersheets too.
Meier (and DeBrincat) can sign an offer sheet up until July 5th.

Now you may bring up Matthew Tkachuk last summer. There is a 2nd window for club-elected salary arbitration once the player rejects his qualifying offer (usually this is in mid-July), in that one the team can bring the player to arbitration and he can NOT sign an offer sheet.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Literally nothing changed at all with the Meier situation — they are currently working on a long term contract. Not sure what Devils fans tried to tell you for months other than your John Marino takes were laughably wrong.

1686868012263.png

John Marino once again in playoff hockey controlled play at 5v5 if you just know how stats work and understand hockey.

Here's the thread btw. Looks like it was Sharks and Devils fans.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
View attachment 718342

John Marino once again in playoff hockey controlled play at 5v5 if you just know how stats work and understand hockey.

Here's the thread btw. Looks like it was Sharks and Devils fans.
I don’t see you being right about anything in that thread. In fact I see you blathering about how he has the Devils by the balls and how they can’t elect arbitration (they can and did).

I loved your obnoxious DMs to me how you were “right” about Marino when they were down early in the series vs NY only for you to look like a clown when they came back.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don’t see you being right about anything in that thread. In fact I see you blathering about how he has the Devils by the balls and how they can’t elect arbitration (they can and did).

I loved your obnoxious DMs to me how you were “right” about Marino when they were down early in the series vs NY only for you to look like a clown when they came back.

Marino finished the post season at 6 goals for and 12 goals against at 5v5. Amazing numbers.

Don't worry, you'll come around soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad