News: Devils file for club-elected arbitration with Timo Meier

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
No shock here despite what Devils fans tried to tell me for months.

You don't structure a contract that way and not take full advantage of it.

Where’s the “gotcha?” This was 100% expected. They file for arb as a fail safe to have the QO knocked down to 8.5mil in case a long term extension doesn’t get signed before then. I doubt either side wants that

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yes, you’ve already demonstrated that you don’t know how to evaluate hockey players.

Anyway, I think Ty Smith has a big season in Scranton next year, enjoy!

Rather have Ty Smith in the minors than Marino playing 20 minutes a night in the playoffs.

41% GF% in 500+ 5v5 minutes in the playoffs over four seasons, enjoy!

Where’s the “gotcha?” This was 100% expected. They file for arb as a fail safe to have the QO knocked down to 8.5mil in case a long term extension doesn’t get signed before then. I doubt either side wants that

No, a lot of fans were saying it'd be stupid for Meier not to settle for a lower contract because of term, but my point always has been Meier structured his contract in a way to get max value just like Tkachuk.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
If the Devils do end up losing Timo to UFA, I still make that trade.

Hope Fitz can tweak the defense and make a run this coming season.

What I'm saying is, when you have the prospect pool the Devils have, a 1st and a middling prospect is not a huge loss.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
No, a lot of fans were saying it'd be stupid for Meier not to settle for a lower contract because of term, but my point always has been Meier structured his contract in a way to get max value just like Tkachuk.

Still not seeing the “gotcha?” You realize that nothing has been decided, right? This doesn’t automatically mean that Meier is getting a one year deal no matter how much you want it to be to try to fit your narrative. The arbitration date is basically just a deadline now.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

This is exactly what I was thinking. I mean, was this surprising?

From New Jersey's standpoint, I don't even think the 10M vs 8.5 is the biggest concern, it is just a bonus in a worst case scenario outcome. The last thing they really want is Meier signing the very tempting 1 year QO. This move definitely increases Meiers incentive to sign long-term now.

If I am Meier and I have a 10M QO on the table, I am signing it and then negotiating a new 8 year deal on Jan. 1st that would take me to 35, and I'd have all the leverage.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Selfish homer fan question: Does this type of situation also apply to the Canucks with Pettersson next off season (reducing his QO by 15% if he doesn't sign an extension/is taken to arbitration)?
Arbitrator would probably award a higher salary with Pettersson anyway but just wondering.

Jan 21, 2018
Damn Bratt over Meier? Lol

Damn Kovalchuk over Parise? Lol

ah-shit-here-we-go-again-ah-shit.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Shark Finn

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Meier should get about 8-9*8y long term. Real question is does he wants to be long term in NJ?

His tenure there was meh performance-wise, we'll see if he liked it enough to commit long term.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Marino finished the post season at 6 goals for and 12 goals against at 5v5. Amazing numbers.

Don't worry, you'll come around soon enough.
I wonder what his PDO was? I heard a rumor that in small sample sizes that can be pretty relevant.

Unfortunately for Marino, he was tasked with carrying Ryan Graves, which is pretty much impossible with the way he played.
1686872838413.png

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
This is probably just a formality for this purpose, and it gives them more time and flexibility to negotiate a long-term deal which they will do with ease I imagine. Yet, many fans will find a way to freak out over this news
Exactly, he could sign for 8x8, just more time.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Honest question... Was Meier a good fit with NJ??

I admittedly don't watch many NJ games except in playoffs and he didn't look like he did with SJ. Stats look pretty average too with NJ

Like a lot of deadline acquisitions, it takes time to sort things out. I'm always reminded of when the Devils got Alexander Mogilny in 2000. He put up modest numbers the rest of that season (3-3-6 in 12 regular season games, 4-3-7 in 23 playoff games). Then he led the team with 43 goals the following regular season.

They started him off on a line with Hughes-Bratt and after several games they shifted him around and he played with different centers. The Tatar-Hischier-Mercer line was going well in the second half, so I think the staff didn't want to break that line up. But with Tatar likely not being retained, that opens up a spot potentially with Nico. 9 goals in 21 regular season games wasn't too bad either. Maybe they put him back with Hughes; I'm also reminded of Patrik Elias and Scott Gomez not clicking in 2002-03 then it worked the following year.

Timo created a decent amount of chances in the playoffs, just didn't get the results (as opposed to Bratt who kinda disappeared). 5.4% shooting percentage is usually a decent bet to rebound back up.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wonder what his PDO was? I heard a rumor that in small sample sizes that can be pretty relevant.

Unfortunately for Marino, he was tasked with carrying Ryan Graves, which is pretty much impossible with the way he played.
View attachment 718363

Don’t worry. There is always an excuse with Marino.

Dude has been abused in 500+ minutes of 5v5 play in the playoffs, but it was goaltending, his d partner, etc.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Gonna be awkward that Meier wants more than Hughes… no reason for him to take less when he can get 1 year of 8.5 and then cap goes up too

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Don’t worry. There is always an excuse with Marino.

Dude has been abused in 500+ minutes of 5v5 play in the playoffs, but it was goaltending, his d partner, etc.
He was -1 through the playoffs, the best rating of any regular devils defenseman, despite a 950 PDO. What's your excuse for that?

This obsession is pretty pathetic. It's also pretty odd to be so obsessed with a player who you clearly don't watch. He was our best defenseman in the playoffs.

You lost the trade, deal with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad