Post-Game Talk: Devils drop another one in shootout to Tampa -Blowing leads is our specialty edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
Dang man. Did Fayne steal your dog or something thats a lot of hate. . Everyone knows he won't be a top pairing damn but he is who we have on our roster so unless you have a bug in Lou's ear take a min and relax. Or if it helps I hear Jay Leach has a couple of goals :yo::D

Hahaha no, I just don't think that Mark Fayne is a top 4 d-man. And I think that Larsson (I know he's been unimpressive as well) should be getting important development time over Mark Fayne or a scrub like Peter Harrold.

I've said all I need to say...I'm outtie

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Fayne is a very solid defenseman. He is not going to add much on the offensive side, but he's fine as a skater, is pretty smart with the puck and doesn't force himself into situations he can't control. He will even mix in some snarl and physicality from time to time.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't know why we have Fayne haters.

Apparently people only started watching him the last month and a half.

He was actually a 'very good' player last year. The fact he's even part of this rotation cycle of doom is inexcusable, and it's hurt him and hurt the team.

apice3*

Untitled-2.jpg

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
the thing that boggles my mind a bit about the fayne situation is how he went from the top shutdown pairing on a stanley cup finalist to healthy scratch for no real reason other than the fact that they want to get all four hundred defensemen in at some point.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
To the bolded:

Really? I often see Fayne out of position in the defensive zone.

When have you seen Mark Fayne join the rush?

Fayne rarely pinches.

I don't think one of Mark Faynes "deflectable" shots has ever gone in this year.

Look at our defensemen! It's no secret why he plays a lot!

Can you tell me who DOESN'T get modest point production on the Devils blue-line? (Besides Sal, who has also been unimpressive.

Mark Fayne does not always make the smart play and I've seen him panic with the puck. (Especially last night)

My opinion, Mark Fayne is not excellent, and a mediocre, bottom-pairing defensemen.

Everything you just said is incorrect but I'm not going to waste my time discussing it anymore.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Apparently people only started watching him the last month and a half.

He was actually a 'very good' player last year. The fact he's even part of this rotation cycle of doom is inexcusable, and it's hurt him and hurt the team.

Louuuuuuuuuu!

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Fayne hardly pinches? Every game you see him rush in down the boards to keep the puck in, and allow the cycle to continue. He rarely gets burned when doing that. Fayne doesn't jump in the rush much, but only Zidlicky does it all the time, with Greene doing it sometimes.

The Fayne hate is ridiculous. He's also has seemed to be lacking confidence since he was scratched for no reason. He played great for us last season, and if he hadn't been messed with this season, he'd be playing great again as well.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I was waiting for that one :laugh:

In my post I should've just said everything you have just said was incorrect...great discussion champ:help:

I have no problem with discussing this with someone who has an open mind, but you've clearly committed to what is IMO an irrational cause.

So there's no point in having this conversation. It'll revert to anecdotal accounts which accomplishes nothing.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Last year Fayne was fantastic. This year he doesn't look very good and it's starting to look like his contract is fair for his level of play. He's playing like and getting paid like a #5 or #6 defenseman. I just think the idea that he's too valuable to us to be moved is insane. We could easily sign a solid defender that is Fayne-caliber in the offseason if we trade him for a top 6 winger.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I agree that this constant circus of rotation on the backend is definitely hurting the guys involved individually. No doubt in my.mind which is just flat out stupid.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
i like volch, i really do, but the devils are a team that struggles to score and needs to play a puck possession style, and volch's style of play (and sal's for that matter) is not conducive for that. larsson, greene, zid, and fayne should be there every game. i'd also take tallinder every game. sal is also a given. fayne and tally aren't as good offensively as harrold, but their superior defensive abilities should get them in the lineup most nights.

greene-larsson
sal-zid
tally-fayne

that should be the group when healthy.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
i like volch, i really do, but the devils are a team that struggles to score and needs to play a puck possession style, and volch's style of play (and sal's for that matter) is not conducive for that. larsson, greene, zid, and fayne should be there every game. i'd also take tallinder every game. sal is also a given. fayne and tally aren't as good offensively as harrold, but their superior defensive abilities should get them in the lineup most nights.

greene-larsson
sal-zid
tally-fayne

that should be the group when healthy.

im with you here 100%. and honestly, i think if we see this it will make a pretty significant difference in a positive way overall

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I honestly can't believe that there is a defense being made for the way the Devils played last night. I mean what do they really need to do in order to have a bad game if last night's loss wasn't that much of an issue? Their game was horrific.

Tampa is hot garbage. They're an awful team which says a lot considering how awful the Eastern conference is. NJ are no world beaters by any stretch, but there is no excuse for blowing not one, but two 2 goal leads to a team like Tampa. When a crap team spots you goals, you have to close the deal. There isn't a single excuse for it and last night was easily the worst point that the team has "earned' this season.

Nice to see that Tallinder is getting some game action tonight. This guy gets a lot of hate but there is no excuse for him to be sitting when you have the other 7 d-men that NJ has. When he is playing well he's easily one of their best defenseman. I know that's hard to believe since he's been out of the lineup so much this last year, but Tallinder can play some really solid minutes when he's on his game.

Last edited:

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If you don't see how Fayne is valuable, stop following the puck the entire game

I'd go further and say stop watching hockey.

Every single team in this league, save for maybe Boston, would take Fayne. Maybe not on their first or even second pairings, but they'd take him nonetheless.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida

This is a mistake I tend to make while watching the games, sometimes I don't pay enough attention to what the defensemen are doing away from the puck.

My rule of thumb is, if I didn't notice a particular D-man during the game, he played well. I think Fayne brings reliability to the defense, he isn't amazing at one specific fascet of the game, but he plays simple and focuses on not making glaring mistakes. He said it during his first interview as a Devil, his focus is playing solid D and getting the puck up to the forwards as quickly as possible. Its not a complicated mindset, it isn't one that'll land you in the all-star game, but it makes him effective and worth playing over guys like Pylonkov and Harrold.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Ok go blank yourself with that comment and the other guy can blank himself too. Where did I say he wasn't valuable? I just said the idea that he's too valuable to be moved for a forward upgrade is asinine. A forward helps us much more than Fayne, who isn't playing particularly well now and isn't anything that couldn't be replaced when he is playing well. So you can get off your high horse and shove your post where the sun don't shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad